Bush Fires

Tina2

Hi All, well the bushfires have started here in Victoria. This is just a bit of info for people "new to Australia".

If you are out and about in your car outside of the city type areas and need to stop for some reason, Please pull up on to a "hard" surface. Dont pull over onto grassed areas. If that grass is dry your hot exhaust can start a fire, and with the wind behind it can soon turn into a major blaze. Even the farmers are asked not to use any machinery on hot windy days for the same reason. There have been several fires recently started by harvesters out in the fields.

• 2 weeks later...

And another good one is , if you must smoke in your car keep your windows closed to stop hot ash being pulled out and igniting that beautiful scenery you are driving through and obviously NEVER throw the cigaret butts out of the window.

And another good one is , if you must smoke in your car keep your windows closed to stop hot ash being pulled out and igniting that beautiful scenery you are driving through and obviously NEVER throw the cigaret butts out of the window.

100% agree, it is thought that one of the fires in the Blue Mountains recently that saw homes lost was started by a cigarett butt.

If you live near bush make sure you have copies of all important papers in a zip lock bag and photos on a USB or similar as well as a change of clothes ready to go just in case. The bush is Aus is VERY different to the woodlands in the UK.

Gosh-scary stuff. The world's a funny place...we've got floods in the uk, us has the polar vortex and u guys have started your fires.

Stay safe :unsure:

Maybe mother nature is starting to fight back ?? Humans have done so much damage to what was once a beautifully balanced place to live.

100% agree, it is thought that one of the fires in the Blue Mountains recently that saw homes lost was started by a cigarett butt.

If you live near bush make sure you have copies of all important papers in a zip lock bag and photos on a USB or similar as well as a change of clothes ready to go just in case. The bush is Aus is VERY different to the woodlands in the UK.

Don't you store photos on the cloud?

My dad used to have a fire proof box with all his stuff in in. Glad he never had to test how fireproof it was. This is probably relevant in the UK as well, as house fires do occur.

My dad used to have a fire proof box with all his stuff in in. Glad he never had to test how fireproof it was. This is probably relevant in the UK as well, as house fires do occur.

LOL store on the cloud ????? What cloud ?? Sorry i dont really understand all these modern terms or equipment. Fire proof box sounds good though.

There is a great app called "fires near me" for fires in NSW, handy if you are travelling. We were recently staying near Dorrigo and lots of smoke around, was comforting to be able to see the smoke was only from the fires in the Blue Mountains and not near us.

If you live near bush or are going traveling near bush get to know the fire sites well and keep in touch. I know Qld, NSW, and Vic all have there own sights that give up to date info on the current fire situation, they also have a FB page where people can keep up to date and get even more info from people living in areas near fires. DONT be complacent, in Aus Fires are a major threat and we all need to be aware of what to do.

We recently sold a property in a fire risk area, property was taken over by a "city" dweller who wanted to play "farmer" they have never cleared the growing piles of tree litter, slashed paddocks nothing, this not only puts themselves at risk but people living near them. Now they are also up for a hefty fine from the CFA.

• 4 weeks later...

Sunday 9th is going to be a really bad day as far as risk of bush fires is concerned. Much of Vic will be on the "extream" range. Up here in Echuca we are expecting 41 and strong winds, not good. SO be aware and keep informed. Bad fire at Taradale yesterday, not even a wind blowing, and no fire ban in place, but an angle grinder spark landed on the dry grass and that was it - major fire. So remember no mowers, no driving or parking across dry grass, nothing that could spark into dry grass.

Just one last tip on the firebox for the not so techy - scan your documents into your computer and then attach them to a few emails to yourself. Then you will always be able to retrieve them. This is if you find the concept of the cloud a step too far!

The organised people keep the firebox at a friend's house in the city - or in their office at work protected by sprinklers. Make sure the box is waterproof...

Other useful things are a wind up radio and a car charger for your mobile - in case the power goes out.

Just one last tip on the firebox for the not so techy - scan your documents into your computer and then attach them to a few emails to yourself. Then you will always be able to retrieve them. This is if you find the concept of the cloud a step too far!

The organised people keep the firebox at a friend's house in the city - or in their office at work protected by sprinklers. Make sure the box is waterproof...

Other useful things are a wind up radio and a car charger for your mobile - in case the power goes out.

And to leave EARLY. There is a fire app now, that can show you where fires are though i admit i know nothing about it. PLEASE dont forget your pets they get scared to and may panic and run.

I remember the bloke in Canberra who was saying how glad he was that he'd left his stuff in a fireproof safe - came back next day more distraught as he'd found the safe and everything inside was ash! Remote storage is probably key now that we have the facility!

And to leave EARLY. There is a fire app now, that can show you where fires are though i admit i know nothing about it. PLEASE dont forget your pets they get scared to and may panic and run.

My son has evacuated - even took the chooks, his family went 3 weeks ago. He suggested the sentinel website so you can see where the hotspots are. Even his uncle-in-law is leaving so their part of East Gippy is looking pretty awful. It'll be interesting to see if he's correct at having built a fireproof house. Bloke down the road from him won't leave but has a fire shelter that can only be described as palatial so they should be ok. It's the one thing that's scared me about them living in the bush so very glad yo see they've been pragmatic about it.

Take Care everyone today it is really BAD fire weather. There is a bad fire in Craigieburn which is very much in the suburbs. Keep an eye on the CFA web site. If you are new to Au this sort of weather is VERY dangerous, so get familier with the CFA site and what you need to do. Evacuations happening in Gippsland. Thoughts and prays to anyone close to the fires.

Take Care everyone today it is really BAD fire weather. There is a bad fire in Craigieburn which is very much in the suburbs. Keep an eye on the CFA web site. If you are new to Au this sort of weather is VERY dangerous, so get familier with the CFA site and what you need to do. Evacuations happening in Gippsland. Thoughts and prays to anyone close to the fires.

Don't know about you but the CFA site crashes every time I go to look at it. It's looking pretty bloody out there right now.

Don't know about you but the CFA site crashes every time I go to look at it. It's looking pretty bloody out there right now.

Hi Quoll not having any issue here getting the site loaded.

Evacuations now in place for Bete Bolong, Bete Bolong North, Youngs Creek and the outlying areas of Jarrahmond it is strongly recommended that you evacuate and seek shelter at the Orbost Relief Centre at Orbost Secondary College, Arnold Street, Orbost.

Up here in Echuca it is 41 and climbing and 50 plus km winds. CFA are doing a mighty job some info on here to https://www.facebook.com/cfavic they are keeping it up to date as fast as the CFA can. Very scary as we almost got wiped out on Black Saturday.

[TABLE=class: legend_table]

[TR]

[TD]emergency_icon.jpg[/TD]

[TD=class: multi_linex]Emergency Warnings (9)[/TD]

[TD=width: 38]advice_icon.jpg[/TD]

[TD=width: 205]Advice (22)[/TD]

[TD=width: 28]fire_icon.jpg[/TD]

[TD=width: 150]Fire[/TD]

[TD=width: 28]rescue_icon.jpg[/TD]

[TD=class: multi_line]Road Accidents

/Rescue[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]watch_act_icon.jpg[/TD]

[TD] Watch and Act (12)[/TD]

[TD]evacuate_icon.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Recommendation

to Evacuate (1)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

PRINCES HIGHWAY: closed between Nowa Nowa and Cann River to all but emergency services and essential services until further notice. Monitor http://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/ for latest information.

Archived