Budget 500k, where to buy in Perth

riverletter

Hi there-

I'm hoping to gain some insight into family and budget friendly suburbs of Perth WA.

We are a family with 2 kids (5 years and 6 months) And hoping to find very family friendly neighborhoods in our price range. (Max 500k- I know it's not a lot- but all we'll be able to afford for our first home)

Not too far from CBD (max 15km)

We prefer villa and townhouse as we know our budget is not too much for a house.

Good gov schools- hoping not to pay for private.

Safe and low crime

Areas to avoid?

Thank you so much and Merry Christmas!

Hi Happyheart,

I meant I want to stay in the safe suburbs with good school for kids, friendly neighbours, pubs and bars are not important :)

I am doing the house hunting now and still feel very confused, maybe because Perth is too big.

please help me recommend some possible suburbs. Thanks

Hmmm. You need to be a bit more specific about wish list...as you say Perth is a big place! You can choose north south east or west of cbd. For areas serving the best public schools forget 500k. Closer to $600 for a starter home in those suburbs. Senior schools presumably? Honestly there is a lot of choice...too many suburbs to mention unless you are more specific. Leeming is within 15k of cbd and we have a few friends with kids at the highly regarded school but house prices are higher around $600 upwards.

Hi Happyheart,

I meant I want to stay in the safe suburbs with good school for kids, friendly neighbours, pubs and bars are not important :)

I am doing the house hunting now and still feel very confused, maybe because Perth is too big.

please help me recommend some possible suburbs. Thanks

Perth is indeed very sprawling. That fact doesn't make life easier. Many settle for estates a little further out with change to spare from your budget.

Btw, do you all think now is the best time to buy house. I see the rental fee and mortgage fee is almost the same, thats why I consider to buy a house. Appreciate your advice. Thanks!

I'd wait awhile and get a handle on the city your hoping to call home. For example give yourself time to get to know the burbs you write about. My opinion on the ones mentioned would likely differ greatly from a lot of responses you may read on here. Only you know what suites you.

As for the right time, well you'll get equally varied responses on that. The WA housing market has been grossly over valued since a few years after the 03 boom got under way. Prices have gone up something like x3 in a decade.(from the time I was house hunting 12 years back) Who knows the future?

Yields are poor in rentals. Remember the mortgage rate will rise at some stage once again catching out the unaware.

My advice would be get a large map work out the locations that take your fancy and from there work outwards till finding something that fits your budget.

Hi verystormy,

yes good school is very important to me.

If the budget 500k is not enough to buy the house, i am ok with appartment too. As long as this is the good suburbs with good school and convenience...

Even an appropriate apartment to suit a family may be hard to locate in the suburbs. A villa type structure in Cannington perhaps? They do tend to me built rather close together and are not exactly noise tolerant. Kids playing outside have been issues for some with neighbours that I am aware off. But would fit your price range. Also close to railway line and access to city.

May I have your advice on below suburbs (pros and cons)

Cannington

Bayswater I

Basseandean

Joondaup

thanks so much!

Most people on this site only know the north and south beaches. Living on the beach is the dream, and that's what they do.

The areas you mentioned are okayish, and up and coming. You could also look at Vic park, dianella, Inglewood, (maybe too expensive) Belmont, Melville, Guildford.

The problem you have is the schools. If you want a good high school, have a look at the catchment area and try and fit in it. For example, look a my Lawley.

You need to do the leg work. Just Google everything. Then when you think you have got it, check back here for the school and the area.

Make a scoring card about what features, facilities and amenities are important to you and your family.

Target some suburbs before you get here using realestate.com. Think budget as well house characteristics and other options e.g. pool, block size, air con, nearby public transport.

Get yourself into a holiday rental for a few weeks when you get here.

Get a car, visit your target areas and research e.g, what would your commute be like? Is the area kid friendly? etc.

Lots of people rent in areas that they couldn't afford to buy in so as to be in school catchment areas. Bear that in mind.

May I have your advice on below suburbs (pros and cons)

Cannington

Bayswater

Basseandean

Joondaup

thanks so much!

Hi,

We've just recently bought our first house in Morley (in the council of Bayswater). We rented in Morley when we first arrived in Perth 2 years ago and found it to be nice and central to everything in Perth. We are about 8km from the CBD, 13km from Scarborough beach and we have the massive shopping precinct around Russel Road, the Galleria shopping mall and Coventry Markets - only 500m down the road. Bayswater waves (Perth's biggest swimming pool complex) is only a couple of minutes drive down the road. The infrastructure around here in pretty damn good too with Morley Drive, Tonkin Highway and Reid Highway close by giving good links to anywhere you want go. We are a family of four (girls are 5 and 2) and we have found it to be really family friendly and haven't come across any crime.

Good luck with your search.

Paul

Archived