Old UK paper driving licence use in Oz

Cubic

My parents are coming to visit in 2 months. My dad only has an old style paper driving licence from the UK. He'll either be driving our car or in a hire car. Is he able to use this licence or does he need to swap it for a photocard licence before he visits?

Probably best to check with the hire car company that you intend to use - I use a number of different companies and their policy varies (even between same company offices in different countries). Last time I picked up a car LHR, both the photocard and the paper licence needed to be shown before I could drive away.

Customer: Hello, I'm here to collect the hire car that I booked online a while back

Hire Car Rep: No problem...all I need is your photocard driving licence, the paper copy and your credit card

Customer: I've got my paper licence and credit card, but no photocard

Hire Car Rep: I'm very sorry, but without both the photocopy and the paper licence, we are not allowed to let you take the car - company policy I'm afraid

Customer: No, you don't understand - I went to an online forum and someone said that if I can still drive on the paper one in the UK it should still be ok here and that they used paper ones without a problem when they moved here 7 years ago - so it must be OK now.

Hire Car Rep: Well, that's our current policy - might have been a tad different 7 years ago.

Customer: So can I take the car....

Hire Car Rep: Not without both the photocard and paper versions of your licence....

pffftttt....

You can go to the DVLA anywhere in the UK and change your paper for a photocard one, my mum did it when we went back recently. She had her paper one and took it in and they did a straight swap for her. Same conditions i.e. being valid forever!

If the UK license is still valid and has your current address on it and hasn't been withdrawn for any reason it will usually remain valid until the holders 70th birthday unlike the photo id cards which only last 10 years or until you change address which ever comes first. So if you can still hold on to your paper licence I guess you can feel quite smug , mind you you will never be able to hire a car and as originally asked driving abroad might prove a bit problematical seeing as no serving police officer in the world would have ever seen a non photo ID card.

Thank you for the info.

Terry I should have clarified that I wanted to find out if it was legal to use, rather than the individual requirements of car hire companies who'll have their own individual requirements.

I've tried to convince dad to change his licence for an up to date one for ages, but for some reason he's very attached to his paper licence and very reluctant to change it unless it's essential!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the info.

Terry I should have clarified that I wanted to find out if it was legal to use, rather than the individual requirements of car hire companies who'll have their own individual requirements.

I've tried to convince dad to change his licence for an up to date one for ages, but for some reason he's very attached to his paper licence and very reluctant to change it unless it's essential!

Can you get a photo one done at the post office.... I got a new photo one done there a few months ago.... They do the form take your pic and send it off for you.... Got my new one 3 days later....

You can go to the DVLA anywhere in the UK and change your paper for a photocard one, my mum did it when we went back recently. She had her paper one and took it in and they did a straight swap for her. Same conditions i.e. being valid forever!

I don't think the photo licence replaces the paper one. Once you have a photo card you still have to have the scrappy piece of paper as the photo card contains limited information. Didn't know the photo card was only valid for 10 years though. Will have to check that out.

I don't think the photo licence replaces the paper one. Once you have a photo card you still have to have the scrappy piece of paper as the photo card contains limited information. Didn't know the photo card was only valid for 10 years though. Will have to check that out.

Yes it is defo only 10 years I have just done mine before I left for Perth....

i have just changed mine to the OZ one which I just needed the photo card they never asked for the paper part.... It cost me close to $ and you have to have loads of id with you.... I took my Medicare card, visa stamp in pass port, passport, bank card from NAB, statement from NAB with address on and a letter from tax office with address on.... They are quite strict with the id and I had to do a basic eye test there at the counter.... Once sorted they take your picture and you receive it in the post a week or two later....

Archived