Moving into a new unit in North Sydney area-what are the best utilities and best way to

BrownEyedGal

Hi All

I'm moving into a unfurnished unit in January and want to source the best electric company and the best internet company.

I want an electric company that has good customer service as well as being cheap - do any do scheme where they give u money back if you haven't used a lot etc (or something like that)? I know you can't have it all but I will have a damn good try!!!!

For the wifi internet - I need really good internet connections. I'm not to sure about having television - digital or otherwise. I've managed to live without a tv for the last few months and its quite nice. However I thought it may be useful to have a 'landline' telephone as well as internet.

Also I have seven working days to do the house checks etc when I move in. I've been around twice and already noted damage, wear and tear but how do i keep good records of this - I thought a video would be good but then how do I store it and give the agents/landlord a copy - disc?

Anyhow any ideas, tips, or not so helpful advice I will be pleased to receive.

BEGal - presently waiting to get out of the current landlady's clutches.

p.s. I'm sure she's gonna stiff me for my 4 weeks 'bond' as I am a lodger and we don't have many rights.

p.p.s comments appreciated on house contents insurance too?

Edited by BrownEyedGal
UPDATE

I often wonder at these requests. Could you tell be what the best: bank account, suburb, utilility, internet providers are in the UK? and did you really give a stuff? Or did you just get the one that was ok, or that Martin Lewis told you to select? Any of them will do - trust me - you don't need an internet forum to make every decision for you.

Guest guest30085
I often wonder at these requests. Could you tell be what the best: bank account, suburb, utilility, internet providers are in the UK? and did you really give a stuff? Or did you just get the one that was ok, or that Martin Lewis told you to select? Any of them will do - trust me - you don't need an internet forum to make every decision for you.

Whats wrong with asking for recommendations? After all, forums like this wouldn't exist if people knew everything already.

Well I said any information will do!!

Okay I have gathered that some people like to reply to these posts, whether with information or their opinion.

Never trust a man that says "trust me" and I personally like to "sweat the small stuff". Peach and Rupert, if you don't know then fine, as I'm sure you will both be of help to someone else on PIO now and in the future, just not me today.

I ask because I DON'T KNOW..its as Adonna has pointed out, its an open forum to seek advice, comments, experiences.

I was primarily after companies with good customer service more than perhaps cost.

Thanks BEGal

We have only ever just taken photos and made comments about the property condition, has worked for us.

For the other things have a look on the compare websites, or ask the agent that is renting you the property if they have someone or a service that can sort your utilities. I know when we're were looking to rent we just ticked a box on the application and a company got in touch.

• 1 month later...

Morning!

Just to update everyone.

I have now been living in my unit for 8 weeks..yippee! Best move ever.

I finally chose Momentum (Tasmania) for the electricity and went with Vivid Wireless 4g internet. Unfortunately Vivid didn't work out for me but their customer service was top notch and I would definitely recommend them.

So no internet provider yet, just using what I have with my mobile.

Have furnished unit with mostly free stuff off the streets..cool!

Thanks for all the pm's and positive messages.

BEGal

Edited by BrownEyedGal
typo