Primary teacher moving back to Wales after 8 yrs?

Izziwizzi

Hi I am a uk qualified primary teacher with (QTS) who moved out to oz with our family in 2005. It just hasn't worked out the way we thought it would over here , I've never been able to secure a FT teaching post, Husband has always been very keen to go back I'm wavering wondering what is the best thing to do.Our children also happy enough to go back one 16 one 10. My concerns are whether I would be able to get work, happy to do supply to gain experience and how our older child would get on at school, he has just completed grade 10 and does well. He want a to go to university/ army to do electrical/mechanical engineering degree and had planned to apply to the oz army officer training college in Canberra. We are thinking about moving back to Wales , brecon area. Any advice welcome:)

Well there are a few teachers on here that hopefully would see your thread and be able to comment on timing. But seems to me that he could go back and start A levels with his age group and then university after that. As you have to be resident in UK for three years before you get domestic university fees this might work well, he could defer a year or you pay international for one year or maybe the institute will relax the rules for you.

It sounds like you would all be happy to go back, get citizenship before you do if you have not already to keep your options open for the future.

Guess you need to check out the job market in UK so many things change in the time we are away. Also not sure I would move back if your son has set his mind on getting in the army here and doing a mechanical engineering degree. You would need to find out what his chances of doing a degree with the British Army are. Have the cuts made by the Tories affected this etc etc. I guess he will start year 11 next year and if he has been at school here, how will he fit in with the curriculum in UK. I know a bit about it I moved countries at 15 and ended up leaving school because of curriculum issues.

Also I am not sure but if he went in the Aus army he would not have to pay uni fees. Is it not worth it to wait until he is settled and then move back.

I would be getting citizenship as soon as possible as well.

Understand you want to return but is it the right time? Britain is not going anywhere.

I am guessing it might be a bit easier to find a teaching job over there- especially as you were trained in the UK. Your son, however, sounds as though he may be better off here- bit of a dilemma for you.

We have citizenship but both child born in uk so have passports too. My husband has a British Army background,so keen for our son to join Brit army. He would have to apply to get into Canberra here and we have been warned that there is stiff competition for the small number of places . I've just looked at the officer recruitment in uk and it's seems a very similar process to oz. there also appear to be 6th form scholarships available too...

is there anyone put there who has returned to successfully teaching in UK? Near impossible to secure a permanent post here unless you say you'll teach anywhere not easy to do with a family. :( only independent and church school advertise posts. I now teach kindergarten with very much less pay & longer hours just to have a regular wage.

I don't know if this is any help but I returned to Wales four years ago after teaching KG in a European School. When I applied for supply teaching I had no success at all. One reason for this, which would not affect you, might have been my age - I was planning to retire early anyway and not too fussed when I didn't get anything.

Something which may well affect you is the Welsh language. I think things have eased a lot since I qualified in the seventies but I still think its an issue if you don't speak Welsh here in North Wales. Perhaps you do, perhaps its different in Brecon, but its something to consider.

The really strange thing I found was the provision of refresher courses. Having been out of the Uk system for many years I felt a refresher course would have made me more attractive to potential employers. However there were no return to teaching courses at all on offer in North Wales. I found courses I could do in England, but was told that I was not really eligible as the Welsh assembly has its own budget for that sort of thing. The only way I could have attended a course in England was to assure them that I would be teaching in Chester or somewhere equally close to the border, but not Wales!

If I were you I'd get in touch with any contacts you have who are currently teaching in the area you want to return to and ask their advice.

Hi I am a uk qualified primary teacher with (QTS) who moved out to oz with our family in 2005. It just hasn't worked out the way we thought it would over here , I've never been able to secure a FT teaching post, Husband has always been very keen to go back I'm wavering wondering what is the best thing to do.Our children also happy enough to go back one 16 one 10. My concerns are whether I would be able to get work, happy to do supply to gain experience and how our older child would get on at school, he has just completed grade 10 and does well. He want a to go to university/ army to do electrical/mechanical engineering degree and had planned to apply to the oz army officer training college in Canberra. We are thinking about moving back to Wales , brecon area. Any advice welcome:)

Izzi, a few years ago when my mother passed away I had to go back to Swansea to sort out problems with her estate. I was gone 6 months so had to support myself somehow.

I signed on at the Education Dept at Swansea City Council and after the usual checks I got heaps of supply work! Then subsequently I was offered many full time positions by Head Teachers of a few schools. It was really that easy.

If you go back start the process before you leave as the CRB check takes ages! Agencies will get you work but if you can sign on directly with the council the hourly rate will be greater.

Paul

Archived