work the main worry.

surfandsea

Hi all me wife and 2 young children are moving over next year. Im main visa holder carpenter have AQF level 3 carpentry qually got 17 years under my belt happy to be a dog for a few months then hope to be well in the carpentry scene on $30-40 an hr. We are looking to go to Qld sunny/briss/goldy even north Nsw,but on PIO i hear so much about work problems and hassle so i turn to PIO on facebook and everybody is saying,plenty of work blah blah work galore....... WHAT IS THE TRUTH

Hi all me wife and 2 young children are moving over next year. Im main visa holder carpenter have AQF level 3 carpentry qually got 17 years under my belt happy to be a dog for a few months then hope to be well in the carpentry scene on $30-40 an hr. We are looking to go to Qld sunny/briss/goldy even north Nsw,but on PIO i hear so much about work problems and hassle so i turn to PIO on facebook and everybody is saying,plenty of work blah blah work galore....... WHAT IS THE TRUTH

Finding work is probably biggest concern for most people, you just never know how it will go. I think you could make it seriously harder for yourselves though, by considering Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and even north NSW. Yes it might be idyllic, but unemployment rates are some of the highest. If work is a worry, this is not where to head to.

t on PIO i hear so much about work problems and hassle so i turn to PIO on facebook and everybody is saying,plenty of work blah blah work galore...

Are they talking about the same areas? Work availability can vary tremendously from one state to another or even within states from one region to another.

You'll just have to ask those with plenty of work what their secret is. :biggrin:

There is plenty of work in brisbane for tradesman. Most of the industry is talking of boom times ahead. If you honestly cannot find work construction in brisbane at the moment , you are doing something terribly wrong. We cannot keep up with demand now.

There is plenty of work in brisbane for tradesman. Most of the industry is talking of boom times ahead. If you honestly cannot find work construction in brisbane at the moment , you are doing something terribly wrong. We cannot keep up with demand now.

So how does this reconcile with the thread by Fryertuck who is returning to the UK because he can't get construction work in Brisbane?

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/200673-construction-workers-management-tradesman-through-out.html

So how does this reconcile with the thread by Fryertuck who is returning to the UK because he can't get construction work in Brisbane?

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/200673-construction-workers-management-tradesman-through-out.html

Skani just read through that persons posts. Mainly complaining about having to get their qualifacations converted over to Australia standards. We live in a different country with different regulations. Their is flaws all through them posts. You only have to google to find out how the market had improved in brisbane. I know of people running adds to get help and are getting no replies. Everybody is busy. I've been in this long enough now to see what's coming. In the industry most now it as well .

Skani just read through that persons posts. Mainly complaining about having to get their qualifacations converted over to Australia standards. We live in a different country with different regulations. Their is flaws all through them posts. You only have to google to find out how the market had improved in brisbane. I know of people running adds to get help and are getting no replies. Everybody is busy. I've been in this long enough now to see what's coming. In the industry most now it as well .[/quote

It may be helpful if you could post links or a photo of the adverts you refer to, to help people so they can get in touch with the employers needing staff.

In the 1980s, there was little work in NSW. I went 600 km to an interview for a job 3500 km away. While I was being interviewed, the boss chappie told me that he advertised a job near Sydney, 40 applicants for the job. On hearing that the job was over 40 km away, no one turned up!

My particular case? I got the job; that lead to another and so on.

Seems a lot of people can't, or won't get off their R sends to get work, then rant that there is no work.:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

I'm on my iPhone. I'm talking about adds run in the courier mail. Adds regarding bricklayers.we don't usually have to run adds to find help. It's up to you how you take what I'm saying. I've been in the industry all my life here. Next year is going to be flatout with southeast qld predicted to be the biggest performer next to Perth in Australia.

I think the more your willing to 'give' to get on the working ladder the easier you will secure work.

You have to get out there and find jobs, not just look for a vacancy in the paper or on -line, you have to be flexible and at first be prepared to sometimes do a lesser skilled job than what your used to, until you can prove yourself, and you sometimes have to take a lower wage or casual position again, until you prove yourself.

Cal x

I'm on my iPhone. I'm talking about adds run in the courier mail. Adds regarding bricklayers.we don't usually have to run adds to find help. It's up to you how you take what I'm saying. I've been in the industry all my life here. Next year is going to be flatout with southeast qld predicted to be the biggest performer next to Perth in Australia.

oh you said you 'know of people running ads' to employ people but with no replies, I was merely suggesting you pass on those details to people that are looking for work.

I do know them , they ring me to see if I can give them any of my boys or numbers as they are getting no replies. And no I'm not posting their phone number on a public forum . I'm building for 4 builders at the moment. Each one is flatout. Most project builders are also flatout with demand as well. It's as easy as driving around outskirts of brisbane and looking at how much development is going on. It's all supply and demand and investment buyers are putting us tradesman in demand again in the southeast corner . I cannot talk on commercial development as I know little about it. But residential is in a good place.

I do know them , they ring me to see if I can give them any of my boys or numbers as they are getting no replies. And no I'm not posting their phone number on a public forum . I'm building for 4 builders at the moment. Each one is flatout. Most project builders are also flatout with demand as well. It's as easy as driving around outskirts of brisbane and looking at how much development is going on. It's all supply and demand and investment buyers are putting us tradesman in demand again in the southeast corner . I cannot talk on commercial development as I know little about it. But residential is in a good place.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about how long you have been in business etc, but just trying to give people who are struggling to find work the details of somebody who is looking for staff...makes sense to me!

Not sure why you don't want to post people's details on here if they have 'posted ads' ? Hey ho...

I think the more your willing to 'give' to get on the working ladder the easier you will secure work.

You have to get out there and find jobs, not just look for a vacancy in the paper or on -line, you have to be flexible and at first be prepared to sometimes do a lesser skilled job than what your used to, until you can prove yourself, and you sometimes have to take a lower wage or casual position again, until you prove yourself.

Cal x

You are right Cal. I thought I would post on this thread just assure op that they shouldn't have any drama finding a job as a chippie here in brisbane in the current climate. Tradesman should be fine. The industry here now is full of British and Irish workers that didnt have much trouble

Just my two bits worth but there is more to Queensland than Brisbane, Goldcoast, Sunshine Coast, people are so stuck on these areas and not willing to go further afield to gain the much needed work experience. The fact is new migrants pour into these cities on a daily basis looking for there first leg up.

When we first moved to Queensland we were willing to work anywhere, we even nearly took a job in Mount Isa to get our foot in the door to gain much needed Aus/Queensland work experience, fortunately we didn't need to take that job but we did still move to a regional area as people were less willing to move here, so Hubby got an amazing job without taking a step down career wise, money we could only dream of earning and a fantastic village like community with the friendliest people in the world, great schools and all this without long commutes to work in heavy traffic and the beaches not full of tourists/backpackers to enjoy. We love it, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Ok the quiet life isn't for everyone but who can be picky when you have to get started in a new Country.

What I'm trying to say is look out side the shiny brisvagas/Goldcoast box and go elsewhere, if you don't like it, it doesn't need to be forever, just a year or so, you might surprise yourself as to what you might find.... The real Australia IMO!

Archived