Advice on the southern suburbs of Greater London anyone?

JaneSmith

TBH Lewisham hasn't got much going for it.

No it hasn't. I worked there for a brief spell once. But one can't say they hate London purely because they live in an undesirable area. I always lived in an area of my choosing. Everything walking distance, safe any hour of night and interesting to boot.

Same as OZ cities if you live in an on par location. London's a great place to live, especially under for 35's better in previous times and I'd say remaining child free.

I should have left after a couple of years but I was lazy, got stuck in a rut and didn't look for jobs out of London. Its dirty, transport is terrible, expensive, crime ridden and takes ages to get anywhere.

The tube can hardly be described as terrible if indeed living in an area with tube access. It's getting even better with 24 hour access. It isn't cheap to use sadly but an Oyster Card makes it more bearable. Many more cycling these days as well, with big plans for cycle infrastructure.

London has the best parks and well used in Europe. It remains the number one city in that continent. There is something to do different every day. Few places offer such diversity in everything.

It is hardly crime raked as in cities of the world that have a serious issue around that. Poor areas around the world suffer higher crime.

It depends where in London you live. There's a reason a percentage of the world feels attracted to that city.

Of course London can get tiring. Same as Sydney for example. How many folk as they age move up to Surfers? People just tire of city life. But in the case of London it offers one of the most tolerant places to live that it is possible to find. How many Aussies have I met over the years that hadn't want to leave?

AS I say, there's a time for London, when it can be one of the best cities in the world and equally a time to leave. Best not to past that mark.

Seconded. . .I live in Lewisham by the way :biggrin:. . .well for the next two years until I move to Oz.

I'm a born and bred Londoner and I've been dying to move away since I was a teen. I've lived in various locations and anywhere remotely affordable is either miles out and thus requiring a commute of over an hour (with all the train delays and engineering works that seem to be a near daily occurance) or so dodgy and dirty that I couldn't bare to start a family there. Yes it's good for going out but the cost of bills/rent/housing is so expensive and commuting takes so long its rarely worth the effort.

There are other cities to work in than London at least over there, if you come to Aus everyone has to commute to the one city! I don't understand these comments but each to their own of course it my not suit everyone. Personally I found that for my job the pay is not much different in London to the countryside of say Suffolk and I know where I would rather live, not in a smelly busy city as they all are!

There are other cities to work in than London at least over there, if you come to Aus everyone has to commute to the one city! I don't understand these comments but each to their own of course it my not suit everyone. Personally I found that for my job the pay is not much different in London to the countryside of say Suffolk and I know where I would rather live, not in a smelly busy city as they all are!

Towns as everything have their advantages and disadvantages. Tried both and found myself missing too much the First Zone and moved back.

• 1 month later...

One thing no one has said - I find the idea of buying any property sight unseen absolutely terrifying. Is there a reason why you feel it's necessary? Would it be so terribly inconvenient to rent somewhere first, rather than risk being stuck with a house you hate when you finally get there?

Archived