A question about occupation on skills shortage list

webmister

Hi all, I am confused about an occupation listed on SOL i.e. Computer Networks and Systems Engineer. I have experience in closely related fields and that are 'Computer Tech. Support, Systems support, Network Support but the work was closely related to Systems Engineering but not exactly the same.

I wanted to know if immigration people accept qualifications and experience from closely related fields? (as there is a lot of mix up in IT, I have also worked in a vast array of fields like radio and fibre networks while working as Systems Engineer) or do they accept experience from the exact same fields?

I don't know if they look at the experience in that way.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

This is a very tricky thing for anyone to possibly comment on. It is a grey area and I would hate for you to apply for a visa because someone on a forum said that sounds about right and then you lose your money.

So if in doubt - don't apply for work experience points. If still in doubt but cannot get the points any other way, you really should get a registered migration agent to help with your application.

Hi all, I am confused about an occupation listed on SOL i.e. Computer Networks and Systems Engineer. I have experience in closely related fields and that are 'Computer Tech. Support, Systems support, Network Support but the work was closely related to Systems Engineering but not exactly the same.

I wanted to know if immigration people accept qualifications and experience from closely related fields? (as there is a lot of mix up in IT, I have also worked in a vast array of fields like radio and fibre networks while working as Systems Engineer) or do they accept experience from the exact same fields?

I don't know if they look at the experience in that way.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

As Rupert has advised, this can be a grey area and very difficult to advise on.

There is insufficient information in your post to even attempt an answer. A careful review of your qualifications and employment background would need to be done for a proper assessment.

I would advise that you proceed with caution as “Computer Tech Support, Systems support, Network Support” could fall under the occupation of ICT Support Technicians which is a totally different occupation and skill level to Computer Networks and Systems Engineer.

Thank you all for your informative input. If you look at the occupation section of this page, it says experience in the field that is on SOL or a closely related occupation. This was causing me confusion. I think they should elaborate the term 'closely related occupation' a little bit more with examples to it clearer.

I have seen many other posts on the internet asking the same question without any definitive answer. Those who have worked in this field know how broad Network / Systems Engineering can be nowadays.

Have you checked out: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/c/computer-network-and-systems-engineer.htm

This is assessed by ACS on the following criteria, for your field.

http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/7641/ANZSCO-Descriptions.pdf

Essentially you need to convince ACS that you have worked and are qualified in that job description. A MARA agent might be able to advise, but you need to prove to ACS that your job(s) have been doing what is on that description.

Hi Webmister,

They do elaborate on that same link as to what is considered a closely related occupation:

"What is a Closely Related Occupation?

Any periods of employment in a closely related occupation must be undertaken

at the equivalent skill level of your nominated occupation. This means that any

employment that you claim as ‘closely related’ to your nominated occupation

should be:

• in the same ANZSCO Unit Group. For example, the occupations of Management
    Accountant and Taxation Accountant are in the same group, or
  • consistent with a career advancement pathway. For example, Accountant to
    Chief Financial Officer, or

• where the relevant assessing authority has determined that the employment is
    closely related to the nominated occupation.

Further information on occupation information, skill level and ANZSCO unit

groups are available on our website - see Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)."

Determining if your qualifications and experience match a particular occupation as classified in ANZSCO requires a careful assessment of the skill level, role summary and tasks and duties listed in ANZSCO and comparing them to your own qualifications and experience. The ACS also has a wealth of detailed information regarding the expectations for each occupation they assess.

Hope this helps.

Have you checked out: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/c/computer-network-and-systems-engineer.htm

This is assessed by ACS on the following criteria, for your field.

http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/7641/ANZSCO-Descriptions.pdf

Essentially you need to convince ACS that you have worked and are qualified in that job description. A MARA agent might be able to advise, but you need to prove to ACS that your job(s) have been doing what is on that description.

Thanks that was helpful. I have performed at-least 4 of the 8 duties listed on second link but the closely related core units are the academic units and do not describe the occupations. but still that clears a lot.

Hi Webmister,

They do elaborate on that same link as to what is considered a closely related occupation:

"What is a Closely Related Occupation?

Any periods of employment in a closely related occupation must be undertaken

at the equivalent skill level of your nominated occupation. This means that any

employment that you claim as ‘closely related’ to your nominated occupation

should be:

• in the same ANZSCO Unit Group. For example, the occupations of Management

Accountant and Taxation Accountant are in the same group, or

• consistent with a career advancement pathway. For example, Accountant to

Chief Financial Officer, or

• where the relevant assessing authority has determined that the employment is

closely related to the nominated occupation.

Further information on occupation information, skill level and ANZSCO unit

groups are available on our website - see Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)."

Determining if your qualifications and experience match a particular occupation as classified in ANZSCO requires a careful assessment of the skill level, role summary and tasks and duties listed in ANZSCO and comparing them to your own qualifications and experience. The ACS also has a wealth of detailed information regarding the expectations for each occupation they assess.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

It is not immigration rather the ACS that determine this. After all immigration are not IT experts.

You need to make sure you fully understand the detail of the code you are applying for and more importantly that your referees do! The right migration agent can help - ours used a consultant who was an expert in ACS requirements (used to work for them doing the assessments!) although that was more to assist with the RPL my OH needed to do. He did review all the refernces though to make sure the 'work duties' matched the requirements before it was submitted.

The same job title in two different organisations can be a very different rile so it is indeed a very grey area.

Archived