Nurse without a clue!!

nursealex

Hi, I'm a registered nurse planning on making the big move to Oz all being well next summer with my partner.

I've just started looking into the registration paperwork for the AHPRA, and to be quite honest, it's giving me a headache! (Maybe why I've been putting it off for so long...)

I have several questions, hopefully someone who's been through the process may be able to shed some light on the subject?

The application asks for my priciple place of practice. Do I state my UK work address? It does ask for Australian principal place of practice, but I obviously don't have one as yet.

IELTS - Will I need to do this? I have completed all of my education in England, and it states on my university certificate that the nursing course was taught in English.

Thaks for any help and advice in advance :wubclub:

Alex

Hi I will do my best to answer but I am sure someone else who has been through the process will be here soon...

IELTS is only needed if you need the points for your visa (usually).

I think I read recently that you should leave the section of the form blank, however there is a thread on here (search:nurse) and everything is on there!

Its a lot of getting your head round!

Have you had your skills assessed by ANMAC? Are you moving permanently or temporary and I presume you are going based on your skills?

Hi, I'm a registered nurse planning on making the big move to Oz all being well next summer with my partner.

I've just started looking into the registration paperwork for the AHPRA, and to be quite honest, it's giving me a headache! (Maybe why I've been putting it off for so long...)

I have several questions, hopefully someone who's been through the process may be able to shed some light on the subject?

The application asks for my priciple place of practice. Do I state my UK work address? It does ask for Australian principal place of practice, but I obviously don't have one as yet.

IELTS - Will I need to do this? I have completed all of my education in England, and it states on my university certificate that the nursing course was taught in English.

Thaks for any help and advice in advance :wubclub:

Alex

Your 1st step is to do the academic (not general!) IELTS. Then apply to ANMAC, after first having your documents notarised. It will take ANMAC a few months to fully assess you and issue your LOD (Letter of Determination). The, and only then, can you put you Expression of Interest in for the Visa, and apply to register with AHPRA. Also, AHPRA are currently updating their procedures with regards to International nurse registrations. Therefore, you'll need to hold out anyway until they have been published.

Hope that helps!

Your 1st step is to do the academic (not general!) IELTS. Then apply to ANMAC, after first having your documents notarised. It will take ANMAC a few months to fully assess you and issue your LOD (Letter of Determination). The, and only then, can you put you Expression of Interest in for the Visa, and apply to register with AHPRA. Also, AHPRA are currently updating their procedures with regards to International nurse registrations. Therefore, you'll need to hold out anyway until they have been published.

Hope that helps!

Hi again Bryzee,

Just read this, what changes are happening re AHPRA? Having spent a small fortune on everything up to now, I have left AHPRA till last! I have ANMAC assessment obviously! And doing my current job for almost 15 years, it's the first I've heard of changes!!

All the best.

Hey,

This is from the AHPRA site:

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) and AHPRA are reviewing and strengthening the process in place to support the nationally consistent assessment of applications for registration from internationally qualified nurses and midwives (IQNM).All applications from IQNMs are being assessed consistent with the National Law.

All current IQNM applications will be processed and progressed.

The previously published NMBA Framework for the assessment of internationally qualified nurses and midwives for registration is no longer in use and has been removed from the website.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

I knew it would be a long process, I think that's why I've been dragging my feet with the formalities and paperwork! But I'm desperate to get out there and start working.

Better get my arse into gear and get the ball rolling I guess!!

If you are looking at a 457 visa then you possibly don't need the IELTS however, there are plenty of warnings on this site currently with the 457's, They work for some but also leave others in a complete mess.

If I was you, I would list on here all the things you are planning:

Is it a permanent move you are looking for?

Do you have children or are planning children in the near future?

Are you financially secure should, the job end suddenly and you are forced to return back to the UK?

A 457 is a temporary visa, you are not a permanent resident and it carries risk. If Australia is something you are looking at for the long term then you would be best waiting and securing a PR visa even if the initial cost and timeframe take longer.

I wouldn't worry too much about IELTS.

Have you taken a points test on the immi website to see how many points you would secure for a visa?

Hi all,

I have recently applied for several positions as I am due to emigrate next week and all the these have stated that preference would be given to PR on Oz. I expect then to get some response when I arrive or I contact the named person for the position.

thanks

A bit of background info:

I've been qualified for 4 years, the majority of my experience is in orthopaedic trauma, however I am currently working in the community.

Myself and my boyfriend are planning on living and working in Australia for a period of about 3 years - originally we were unsure of the length of stay and the working holiday 417 seemed ideal, however there are restrictions on the period of time you are able to work for one employer, and the regional work to extend the visa for a second year seemed unsettling, hence us leaning towards the 457. (My parents are currently out on a 457 visa and have been for the past two years - coming home for good this Christmas).

Archived