New here, Need help about 457 visa!

jay1989

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, got a few question here. I am in Syd and holding a student visa right now, doing graphic design diploma, course will be finished real soon tho, and I am now working in a small company as a part-time graphic designer, and this is actually my first job as a graphic designer.

I wanna stay in australia, so in my case i think the best option for me is 457 visa but as they are a small company, I don't think they will be able to offer me any sponsorship.

And I used to "working holiday" here for like a year, which means if I apply that visa again, i will have to go somewhere else to work in a farm or whatever for a couple months first, so I dont wanna apply WHV.

So what visa should I/ am I able to apply in my case now, if I've already got a job?

And should I keep trying to find some other bigger companies which is able to sponsor me?

And should I try out some other cities like Adelaide or Perth?

Thanks heaps for reading it all, Cheers guys!

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, got a few question here. I am in Syd and holding a student visa right now, doing graphic design diploma, course will be finished real soon tho, and I am now working in a small company as a part-time graphic designer, and this is actually my first job as a graphic designer.

I wanna stay in australia, so in my case i think the best option for me is 457 visa but as they are a small company, I don't think they will be able to offer me any sponsorship.

And I used to "working holiday" here for like a year, which means if I apply that visa again, i will have to go somewhere else to work in a farm or whatever for a couple months first, so I dont wanna apply WHV.

So what visa should I/ am I able to apply in my case now, if I've already got a job?

And should I keep trying to find some other bigger companies which is able to sponsor me?

Well never mind that you don't want a WHV, if you didn't do that three months during your first WHV, then you can't get a second anyway.

I think you know what your options are and there really is not much to add. You need to look for an employer sponsor, although it is going to be very tough if your only experience is recent and part time. You could also read up on skilled migration, the first thing to do is to see if the occupation is on the lists and to look into skills assessment and see if diploma is enough.

In all honesty though, I expect you will need to leave, build up your career in your own country and revisit this in the future.

Hi there Jay.

The 485 visa is definitely the option for you and the most common working visa option for those studding in Australia.

There are two streams for this visa and it all depends on the degree you completed (ie length of degree etc). Definitely do some research on the http://www.immi.gov.au site but I'm sure you will agree its the visa for you!

Hi guys,

The size of the company does not affect whether they can sponsor or not. The problem you will have for sponsorship is that the occupation of Graphic Designer requires a Degree Qualification.

If you have already used your working holiday visa you cannot now go and do regional work while on a student visa to qualify for a second WHV.

Not enough information on your post to advise any sort of visa strategy.

Hi there Jay.

The 485 visa is definitely the option for you and the most common working visa option for those studding in Australia.

There are two streams for this visa and it all depends on the degree you completed (ie length of degree etc). Definitely do some research on the www.immi.gov.au site but I'm sure you will agree its the visa for you!

From what the OP has posted the 485 is not an option.

Under the Graduate Work stream he would need an occupation on the SOL, which Graphic Designer is not. Furthermore Graphic designer requires a Bachelor Qualification for skills assessment purposes.

Under the Post-Study Work stream they would need a minimum of a Degree Qualification, a Diploma would not suffice.

Archived