What makes it worth it for you ?

joetrac

I was far too sensible in my 20's to have moved and would have worried more about leaving people behind. Good luck whatever you decide to do - if it's your choice it's the right choice as at the end of the day there's only you can live your life and you do what you have to do.

Ali

Guest Frenchy79

My view on it is this for what it's worth. We all are leaving or have left for a reason and they are many and varied.

However, when coming home we look on blighty with rose tinted spectacles. On a visit home it is not natural as you make a special effort to see all your family and friends, have get togethers and fun etc. However, in reality here everyday in the UK, it is pretty grim and only getting worse where the fun of seeing everyone again pretty quickly disappears and you are stuck in the same old dull place in the cold and rain, stuck inside as you can't go anywhere because a train has broken down or you are on a carpark that is our motorway system.

Good luck though with what is a tricky decision - just go with your heart - if yo udecide you want to return but does not work out so what - just come back to Oz. I am only 28 but realise life is too short for regrets!!!! Then again, I have no children to worry about and realise it is easier for me to up sticks and go where I want when I want.

My view on it is this for what it's worth. We all are leaving or have left for a reason and they are many and varied.

However, when coming home we look on blighty with rose tinted spectacles. On a visit home it is not natural as you make a special effort to see all your family and friends, have get togethers and fun etc. However, in reality here everyday in the UK, it is pretty grim and only getting worse where the fun of seeing everyone again pretty quickly disappears and you are stuck in the same old dull place in the cold and rain, stuck inside as you can't go anywhere because a train has broken down or you are on a carpark that is our motorway system.

Good luck though with what is a tricky decision - just go with your heart - if yo udecide you want to return but does not work out so what - just come back to Oz. I am only 28 but realise life is too short for regrets!!!! Then again, I have no children to worry about and realise it is easier for me to up sticks and go where I want when I want.

Very good points - the converse is also true. The number of people who come here for a holiday and "absolutely love it" then when they arrive, discover that it isnt the paradise that they thought it would be. True of most holiday romances I suspect!

Guest lisaallen67

Hi,

A lot has been said already but just though I'd add some more. Me and my OH left for Aus in 2000 (mid 30s) and decided to stay for as long as we wanted with no thoughts on staying forever or just staying for a year. Leaving everyone was heart breaking and the first few months absolutely killed me. Strangely OH was fine (is it a male / female thing I don't know). We stayed for 3 years and then I just had to come back. I wanted to start a family and just knew I wanted to be near family. We loved it in Aus but it was very hard. BUT. After a short while in the UK it was clear why we went in the first place. We have an almost 3 year old now and we can't wait to get back for us and for her. I think we had to come back for me to see that I wanted to be there more. Yes it is expensive and I will have to do the leaving bit again but we are in our 40s now and I think I can cope better. (I hope) One thing I would say to anyone wanting to come home is to try to stay long enough to get citizenship. It isn't long in the scheme of things. We did it so we could go back at a time of our choosing with no time or visa constraints. Its a good job now.

Giving things a go is worth it in itself. I'm sure you know what's best for you.

Lisa x

Guest matdaley

hi, i can't tell you how relieved i am at reading your messages. my husband and i moved out here just over 2 weeks ago and i've had a tough time settling in. before immigrating here, we visited melbourne to 'check it out' and see whether it's somewhere we could live. lots of reason for leaving the uk, which i won't bore you with it all, suffice to say that we wanted a better quality of life. so we sold up our flat and moved lock, stock and barrel.... we had really job jobs in the uk.

the first week here was terrible...i was unemployed, depressed, in a high-state of anxiety etc. felt all alone in a great big country. i insisted that we were going home to the uk after our 6 month lease was up.

after a few days of moping (my husband has been brilliant and supportive by the way), i joined a web-site called gumtree to make friends, joined a local church, volunteered at a local community centre - anything to get me out and about and meeting people, instead of staying at home. just wanted to say, that 2 weeks on, i feel much better, although i still get acute pangs of anxiety at the enormity of what we've done. it's great to know that others feel the same way, i thought that i was the odd one out, whilst everyone who moved here was experiencing this great way of aussie life. certain things grate on me, like how everything is abbrieveated, the thick accents that leave me blinking and wondering what they've asked me?!...but there're pros and cons everywhere. i can deal with it, and am now looking at this as an adventure. i've made quite a few friends/ acquantainces and find that my days are filling up with activitites.

think i'll stick it out a bit longer!

Maryann

hi, i can't tell you how relieved i am at reading your messages. my husband and i moved out here just over 2 weeks ago and i've had a tough time settling in. before immigrating here, we visited melbourne to 'check it out' and see whether it's somewhere we could live. lots of reason for leaving the uk, which i won't bore you with it all, suffice to say that we wanted a better quality of life. so we sold up our flat and moved lock, stock and barrel.... we had really job jobs in the uk.

the first week here was terrible...i was unemployed, depressed, in a high-state of anxiety etc. felt all alone in a great big country. i insisted that we were going home to the uk after our 6 month lease was up.

after a few days of moping (my husband has been brilliant and supportive by the way), i joined a web-site called gumtree to make friends, joined a local church, volunteered at a local community centre - anything to get me out and about and meeting people, instead of staying at home. just wanted to say, that 2 weeks on, i feel much better, although i still get acute pangs of anxiety at the enormity of what we've done. it's great to know that others feel the same way, i thought that i was the odd one out, whilst everyone who moved here was experiencing this great way of aussie life. certain things grate on me, like how everything is abbrieveated, the thick accents that leave me blinking and wondering what they've asked me?!...but there're pros and cons everywhere. i can deal with it, and am now looking at this as an adventure. i've made quite a few friends/ acquantainces and find that my days are filling up with activitites.

think i'll stick it out a bit longer!

Maryann

Glad its working out for you Maryann.

I remember the first few weeks ...looking for a rental ,visited about 30,screaming 15 month baby cause I had to change her fomula and she didn,t like it ,trying hard not to kill my hubby cause it was his fault....alot of wine was consumed then I can tell you. :yes:

But for most (thinks its 80%) this passes and they end up loving it. I have been here 18 months now and still can never see it being home. I wanted to ,very much,we actually bought land 3 weeks after arriving to build out dream house ,that is how committed we were to staying.But its not for me,I have been lucky to meets lots of new friends and take my daughter to some wonderful places.She goes dancing and can swim at 2 1/2 and also attends a play group.My days are busy and on paper it should all work....but for me it doesn't . Its just not in my heart.

I hope your one of the ones that settles well... I will read your stories of BBQs and beach visits from a cold scotland. But I know I will be happier there.

Goodluck :wubclub:

Guest itskaren

Hi we have been here for 3 months and I am in a bit of a daze 'shell shocked' to be exact. What have we done? We've sold everything in the UK moved the children. I hate it here. I know it's early days . We have been planning this for 2 years. I just constantly feel sick.

Guest Edinburger

A lot of the younger people that come over aren't 'starting a new life', they are just giving a shot and seeing what happens. I have no clue if I'll be here for 18 months, 5 years or the rest of my life and I'm in no rush to answer that question. Coming over was essentially risk free and not much different to moving to London or Birmingham. The world is a lot smaller these days.

The main factor on these boards that sends people home seems to be family and friends. If you see your Mum every single day and then suddenly move to the other side of the planet, the chances are pretty good that you'll be miserable. If you see family a couple of times a year and for a big Christmas get together then the chances are you'll be fine. I was lucky in that my family practically pushed me out the door and told me I'd be a moron to pass up the opportunity and most of my friends are coming over to see us. Skype and the like lets you keep in regular free video contact with folks at home, which makes things easier and you have to keep in mind that people who don't seem like great friends when you first arrive might be your best mate in the wordl in 6 months.

Guest JoanneHattersley

I think that the only reason for people thinking they have failed is the messages and comments that they get when they get home.....the "oh it didnt work then"etc etc. That would make me hit rock bottom! So what! It didnt work, at least we were off our **** and giving the world a go!!!

For me, Im with Ali....it just worked! Been here three years and luvin`it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

As a family with a Scot for a husband and a job that has taken us all over the U.K. and now in Oz we can understand the need for roots.

No matter what country you live in life is too short to be un happy.There is no work in Scotland or anywhere else in the U.K. for my husband so we are just glad he has a job.Yes we miss family but they have there own lifes and the kids have outgrown grandpaternts,too busy .

Grandparent just emigrated to Spain they have there own future to think of.I would start reading the newspapers back home,looking at a different part of Oz to live and have you joined a new club.Learn something different computers,camera astrology knitting ,quilting,cooking walking ,surfing..... Joing the GAELS club or the RSL club if you want to meet other Scots.

And then if there is realy nothing here for you go home.Also never look back only forward we dont always remember the bad things only the good.Whatever you decide good luck and lots of happiness...

Jen.

Hi,

What your feeling is normal,where do you live and please keep writing to us all on the site we have all felt the move and it dose get better.We are all here for you and will help all we can .If you would like there must be someone on the site who lives in the same state and we can email of phone and maybe get togeather.Dont give up yet your not alone...

Jen.xox

Archived