Living in the Uk ?

jimmy1987

HI... I live in Australia, and thinking about traveling to Uk. I just need to get my dual citizenship as my father was born there and organise my british passport. My question is what is it to live there and for work is there much work, as im a factory worker. No qualifications. My dad lived in croyden. I havnt really asked him about living but he has told me it is expensive. And over crowded especially in the city. But I have heard allot of good things about the uk. So any input would be great! Ty in advance.

HI... I live in Australia, and thinking about traveling to Uk. I just need to get my dual citizenship as my father was born there and organise my british passport. My question is what is it to live there and for work is there much work, as im a factory worker. No qualifications. My dad lived in croyden. I havnt really asked him about living but he has told me it is expensive. And over crowded especially in the city. But I have heard allot of good things about the uk. So any input would be great! Ty in advance.

Why don't you start there. It has all the transport, jobs, nightlife in central london you could want. Def not safe tho so b streetwise. If u find it too big, I would recommend a smaller city or town like brighton or Bristol.

Hi Jimmy, I'm from London and was back there 6 months ago.

London is a big place and so diverse in areas so generalisations are difficult. I'm from west london and have been told Croydon has gone a bit downhill but haven't been there myself for sooo long I wouldn't like to comment.

london is very expensive for property and rents but with the exchange rate at present it's a lot cheaper than oz if you take dollars over!

anywhere in London where you can be on the tube or train is easy to get around and so many buses also.

You'll notice the pay is less than oz but that's to do with the exchange rate again.

lots to do in london you'll find and certainly is a buzz ive never found in oz.....difficult to explain until you see and experience for yourself.

id suggest start there but maybe look at travelling around the country as there's so much more to the uk than london and it's not all focused on the capital city like the states are in oz.

best of luck jimmy......you certainly won't be bored!

I'd look outside of London personally. Of course visit it, but one of the smaller cities may suit you better.

We lived in Bristol and my Aus hubby loved it. Cycling city so can get around easy enough if you don't have a car to begin with. Work can be found. Less than a couple of hours on the train to London. Has a good nightlife, lots going on. And not so vast as London.

Other cities also. Just so some research into them, see what appeals.

Start with family if you can, then go where you can get a job and enjoy the adventure! It'll be quite different from where you have grown up so just remember it's a foreign country and not Australia without sunshine and you should have a great time! There is so much more to see and do - in general it's probably cheaper than Aus I should say but, yeah, lots of people in the cities (just like Sydney really!)

Personally I'd avoid living in London if it's your first time in the UK. Much better to live somewhere more affordable that's maybe 1-2 hours' away if you wish to visit the City. Unless, of course, you plan on working there... We live in Market Harborough and it is a thriving market town one hour on the train from London St Pancras. It has a fair amount of blue-collar work going (from what I've seen in the local paper) but is predominantly middle-class and has a lovely selection of quaint boutiques, independent coffee shops, teamed with some major multiples for your 'big' shopping (Waitrose / Tesco / Sainsbury's). It has a leisure centre, football / rugby / squash club, countryside on the doorstep (lots of walks, parks, canal nearby), affordable housing (coming from the south, anyway!) and is less than 30 minutes' drive away from Leicester and Northampton (and 10 minutes' from the A14). Great train links, too (as afore-mentioned). Annual "Arts Fresco" event and, oh, home to The Great British Bake Off 2013's winner - Frances Quinn!! (whose parents own Quinn's Bookshop in the town).

Have I convinced you yet...? ;-)

• 2 months later...

Hi jimmy I live in London and I love it, it the best place ever! If you u are travelling to the uk and want to make the most of it I would suggests getting in on a house share in central London, the cost of living otherwise is too high. I live with 9 other people in a big townhouse and it's fine. Croydon is a bit grimy and quite far out of central but easily commutable if u use it as a initial base while u get sorted. London has amazing transports links and things run very late, night bus so forth. Europe is on your doorstep too, u have the beautiful countryside and you can travel up north too, which I'm sure ull find very cheap compare to oz! Scotland is very nice and Ireland for a visit too. I'm sure u can find some work in london most Australian manage it but mainly they end up in bar work.

Croydon isn't really London, okay it's 'Greater London' but it's a town in it's own right. It definitely has some not so nice parts but if you can get free/cheap accommodation there then that's where I'd start. It's an easy to trip to London proper for work/leisure.

It is going to be very different to living in Australia but what's the point of living somewhere else for 'more of the same'?

Do travel though before deciding if the UK is for you - I lived around London for 13 years and hated it, moved to Scotland and loved it but stupidly after 7 years moved to Australia - didn't hate it but didn't love it as much as Scotlsnd so moved back :)

The economy is definitely on the up so it's a pretty good time to come, and as others have said work is always easier to find in the South-East.

Archived