Starting work soon, applied for TFN, but not received yet

tingtongman

No they won't give it to you over the phone, you'll get charged at the emergency tax rate - but it will all be sorted when you complete your first tax return and you'll get it back.

I wouldn't worry though, they are usually quick, you should get it before that becomes an issue.

My employer gave me extra time to get tfn and said I wouldnt be charged emergency tax straight away..said theirs a grace period of two pay days..(so a month for me). for you to get tfn in before they start emergency tax..although I knw not everyone gets this..I got my tfn in 10days and didnt need this extra time...my friend didn't but as said above she got it back at end of year

What do they call it then? Don't think they are going to let the lad off without paying anything.

Tax.. If you've over or underpaid, it is sorted when you complete your annual return.

Most still call it the 'emergency tax' though:

Sorting out your tax file number is one of the first things you will need to do before you start working in Australia, as most employers require that you provide them with your Australian tax file number before you start work. If you don't you will be taxed at the ‘emergency tax’ rate of around 48.5%. As long as you have a tax file number, your wages will be taxed at the much lower rate (29%). If you start work before you get one, don't worry - you have 28 days in which to obtain it.

No they won't give it to you over the phone, you'll get charged at the emergency tax rate - but it will all be sorted when you complete your first tax return and you'll get it back.

I wouldn't worry though, they are usually quick, you should get it before that becomes an issue.

thanks, is this with all employers? I do have one but It has not been given to me yet, so will I be taxed at 29%?

Most still call it the 'emergency tax' though:

Sorting out your tax file number is one of the first things you will need to do before you start working in Australia, as most employers require that you provide them with your Australian tax file number before you start work. If you don't you will be taxed at the ‘emergency tax’ rate of around 48.5%. As long as you have a tax file number, your wages will be taxed at the much lower rate (29%). If you start work before you get one, don't worry - you have 28 days in which to obtain it.

See post from Alan Collett: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/177892-getting-tax-file-number-before-arriving-aussie.html#post1936130360

Hi, just moved here a couple of weeks ago.

Applied online for my TFN and went in 2 days after submitting application to the Centrelink office that had a government tax representative in and they printed out the TFN for me there and then. Simple as. Didn't catch where you are - we are Geelong area, Melbourne but it may be the same in other areas. Good luck.

Archived