Where should I live in Australia? Thinking of QLD

seasea

Been reading lots of stuff today.

The provisional 489 temp visa was the one that I was looking at. I was just about to start researching degree courses that I can enrol on, but thought I should come back here to see if there was anything new.

Yes, Rupert you are blunt and to the point, but had you not been then I would most certainly be thinking that this whole process would be plain sailing and far simpler, so thank you.

Are we 100% sure that the occupation has to be from schedule of the SOL. The visa checklist says:

Evidence that the main applicant has, at the time of invitation, obtained a

suitable skills assessment in their nominated occupation on the relevant

Skilled Occupation List (SOL)

I mean, it does say "relevant". Suggesting that it can come from either the SOL or CSOL. I mean, if I had a skill on the SOL, then there would be easier ways to qualify.

If it must come from schedule 1 then my choices are to get a degree and find an employer to sponsor me, or retrain in a skill on the SOL.

Thoughts and advice welcomed.

If you are in an occupation on the SOL then there are more visa options available to you. The family sponsored 489 would be one of those options, also the unsponsored 189 is an option. If the occupation is only on the CSOL, then sponsorship by a state or a employer is necessary.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are in an occupation on the SOL then there are more visa options available to you. The family sponsored 489 would be one of those options, also the unsponsored 189 is an option. If the occupation is only on the CSOL, then sponsorship by a state or a employer is necessary.

Thanks Rupert. That clarifies things somewhat.

As we know that there are currently no states sponsoring this occupation, so that would leave an employer sponsor.

Time to do some more research on degrees or career changes now. :arghh: This really is going to be a long journey before I can book those flights :sad:

If he gets PR then he could sponsor us, but I need to do some research to check that this is possible.

Good idea, but since you have 2 years to kill before starting your visa application maybe you can go back to UNi and top up your diploma to a degree, just to have another option, just in case your cousin can't sponsor you since he also needs to get PR first.

Thanks Rupert. That clarifies things somewhat.

As we know that there are currently no states sponsoring this occupation, so that would leave an employer sponsor.

Time to do some more research on degrees or career changes now. :arghh: This really is going to be a long journey before I can book those flights :sad:

Where there's a will there's a way. You will get to OZ, as long as you dont give up. If its any consolation, it took me 6 yrs to get to OZ. I had to go back to Uni and change career as well, just to get to the land of milk and kangaroos.

i trained to be a nurse initially purely for a 'golden travel ticket' , it is a profession that will always be in demand everywhere ... funnily enough i actually love my career choice now and wouldnt want to do anything else ... except retire when i have enough $$$ , and then i would probably volunteer a little bit

Whilst it may sound this way Sprintman, we need the house to sell for a decent price to fund our migration.

Rupert, if I am understanding you correctly, then even if I had a degree it would have to be an employer sponsored visa and the current option as you say would be a temporary visa... a gamble indeed and in both cases relies upon an employer sponsor. I hope this route works out for you Alaska.

Another possible route for me is dependent on my cousin. He is currently on a RSMS visa and will be applying for a PR visa very soon. If he gets PR then he could sponsor us, but I need to do some research to check that this is possible.

Take no notice of sprintman, he's only here to make sarky comments and cause angst.

Been reading lots of stuff today.

The provisional 489 temp visa was the one that I was looking at. I was just about to start researching degree courses that I can enrol on, but thought I should come back here to see if there was anything new.

Yes, Rupert you are blunt and to the point, but had you not been then I would most certainly be thinking that this whole process would be plain sailing and far simpler, so thank you.

Are we 100% sure that the occupation has to be from schedule of the SOL. The visa checklist says:

Evidence that the main applicant has, at the time of invitation, obtained a

suitable skills assessment in their nominated occupation on the relevant

Skilled Occupation List (SOL)

I mean, it does say "relevant". Suggesting that it can come from either the SOL or CSOL. I mean, if I had a skill on the SOL, then there would be easier ways to qualify.

If it must come from schedule 1 then my choices are to get a degree and find an employer to sponsor me, or retrain in a skill on the SOL.

Thoughts and advice welcomed.

Whatever you do, don't put your life on hold hoping for some mythical nirvana. By all means sell your house if you don't like the one you've got, but don't let a possible move some time in the future stop you from buying the one that yells out "buy me!". Look to your future with respect to gaining qualifications - they are going to stand you in good stead no matter where you are in the world and you'll feel proud of yourself for your achievements. If Australia is in your future then it'll happen but don't put yourself into some miserable limbo waiting for something that may or may not turn up! Even if Australia isn't in your future you can count your blessings that you have another fabulous first world country to fall back on!

I'd recommend a trip out here to "look see" before committing yourself to degrees/career changes.

You may decide you don't want to migrate to Oz after all.

A top up year is top of my list. Also looking at starting a degree in accountancy. Way back when I was at school the careers advisor was telling me either photography or accountancy. Well, I chose my path, but never thought that I would ever need a degree.

I know, accountancy :SLEEP:

But it's on the SOL and I imagine that this type of work is in demand. Also, if I understand the rules correctly, most visas would permit me to work in a different field (as things currently stand). Whilst it might seem like a lot of hard work to get here and perhaps even a waste of money to get my degree I think it will be worth the effort.

Still, it's good to have another skill and it will come in handy when running a business (eventually!).

A top up year is top of my list. Also looking at starting a degree in accountancy. Way back when I was at school the careers advisor was telling me either photography or accountancy. Well, I chose my path, but never thought that I would ever need a degree.

I know, accountancy :SLEEP:

But it's on the SOL and I imagine that this type of work is in demand. Also, if I understand the rules correctly, most visas would permit me to work in a different field (as things currently stand). Whilst it might seem like a lot of hard work to get here and perhaps even a waste of money to get my degree I think it will be worth the effort.

Still, it's good to have another skill and it will come in handy when running a business (eventually!).

Why not do something radical and train to be a nurse. Then you get your PR visa, work as a nurse and still do your photography. Just a thought.

Why not do something radical and train to be a nurse. Then you get your PR visa, work as a nurse and still do your photography. Just a thought.

Now that would be radical! For one I'm not good with the sight of blood :eek:

A top-up course to get my degree is on the cards at the moment. I can do a 1 year online study course to achieve this. Intakes are 3 times a year and cost is approx £4500, but I can spread the cost of this.

Now I need to start compiling and updating my portfolio so that I can gain entry to the course.

Archived