457 temp with kids

hi all

can anyone tell me if we go out on a 457 temp visa will we have to pay for our choldren to attend autralian schools. ( we have three of them)

Have looked at a student visa and as it is only temp we will have to pay for school, which works out at about £20,000.00 for the 2 years that Oh will be studying. (ouch)

suz

If you are coming on an international student visa then you will have to pay international fees for your children regardless of which state you visit. They can be between $6k and $10k pa per child all depending on year level and state. There is no way round it because you are also charged international fees if you go to a non gov school and they end up being about the same or a bit more than govt.

If you come on a 457 sponsored visa then you do not pay international fees except for NSW and ACT where the policy states that child dependents on this visa are not entitled to a subsidised education. You can appeal but I have no idea what the current success rate for appeals is. Generally they reckon that if you are being sponsored then your sponsor should pay all fees and charges! (In the olden days, before financial cutbacks it used to be that if you paid income tax then they didnt charge you but that seems to have changed)

If however, you decide to go to non govt schools on a 457 visa you will only be charged the regular fees applying to the school so you could be up for about $3k in a systemic Catholic school.

Guest deedardingle

whats his profession at the mo? if its in medical/ healthcare i know an agent whos in this field can pm you his email if you need to chat with some one first

hi guys i can tell you for definate that in Queensland you do not pay fees fo ryour kids, only the same as everyone else so books etc, i sure WA is the same but i think NSW and ACT is where you do have to pay? you need to contact the education dep of the state your going but QLD you do not pay hope it helps

Guest Laura G

Hi,

On a 457 Visa it is only 3 states that request you pay

NSW

ACT

Tasmania

All the rest are free Schooling

Archived