Newcastle instead of Melbourne ???

CNC FABS

Ok so we are just about to get our visa's (app Aug). Have all been set to go to Melbourne 2014/15. Me,wife, 2 kids ,6 & 7 now. I work in the manufacturing sector (metal worker / mechanical design / ventilation). Choose Melbourne as it: not to hot, a good manufacturing industry, plenty of jobs, a cbd I actually liked to visit, choice of schools and opertunities for kids as they grow.

Always liked the Mornington area, sorted.

But

There's that thing in the back of my mind saying: it is right ??? Moving half way round the world, you want to make sure your going to the best place for you.

The only thing that worries me about Melbourne is the urban sprawl, especially where some areas just all seem the same. Yes I know if you want security of job oppertunities, you have to have big city sprawl. It there a better option ?

I have always liked the look of the Newcastle area, Warners bay etc. but dismissed the idea due to lack of jobs, small town lack of oppertunities. Have I got this wrong ???

Can anyone offer an insight into life on the ground in the area. An opinion on jobs other than just what I can see from looking on seek or how they feel the area is going to grow in the future ??

To help decide if it's worth coming up for a look at Easter when we expect to validate our 189 visa's.

Thank :biggrin:

Melbourne v. Newcastle....apples v. oranges.....certainly where you ultimately land is your decision and you have to do what's best for you and family, and of course, employment is a big part of it....Not really a big Melbourne fan, but I do like Warner's Bay and Lake Macquarie area, or north of Newcastle, in Nelsons Bay, Port Stephens are. Newcastle is considered to be an up and coming area of re-birth, but many people hate the place and call it a backwards dump. Job market there could be an issue for you, not really sure. Have you given Brisbane a look? If I didn't have close relatives in the Sydney area, I would seriously be looking at Brisbane or Sunshine Coast as a place to live when we return to Australia. Good luck to you!!

Newcastle must be over 200,000 people now, and it sprawls, as all Aussie cities do. I quite like it when I've been up there. If you can afford to live in the inner city of Melbourne, you won't have to worry about the sprawl.

But you won't have Port Stephens, Lake Macquarie or the Hunter Valley

From a personal experience I can not fault the Newcastle/Lake Mac/Hunter Valley/Port Stephens and close by Central Coast for the selection of beaches/countryside/housing/shopping/entertainment available. God diversity of employment opportunities - there are always job options for those with the skills or contacts (perseverance and good luck also helps). The current lack of mining infrastructure has naturally seen a decline in job availability.

I have only been on holiday in Melbourne (really enjoyed the place) and cant comment on its employment status.

I reckon the all year round weather in Newcastle is ideal. Pleasant sunny winter days and not to many humid summer days.

If you are coming over for a visit soon, then it is the perfect opportunity to see both. Test out the job markets maybe as ultimately your decision will need to go on that.

Personally, I am not a Melbourne fan at all. I thought we would love it and in fact it was where we thought we wanted to move to but realised we had to go to Sydney for work. So I would rather go to Newcastle than Melbourne too, but as I say, work has to come first.

I like NSW central coast but its a sprawl these days as well, one village sprawls into the next as all the retirees move north.

However I live in Melbourne, have lived in Sydney and would pick Melbourne every time. Why because its expected to become the largest city in Australia and therefore that means that lots of people are choosing to live here, with people comes job opportunities. I know for a fact that its not easy to get work in northern NSW and in and around Brisbane, apart from the knowledge I have from friends who live in the areas there are a lot of unhappy campers who post here from time to time saying they cannot get work.

When you move to Aus you if you have PR then you can live where you like so just pick a place try it and see what evolves.

Climate comes into it a lot, if you like four seasons of the year and I do personally then Melbourne is the place. If you like humid weather then Sydney and all places north of it are the places to be.

We were going to move to the Newcastle area as my oh used to go to sea and we could anywhere we liked but then he got a job ashore in Melbourne and we stayed here and I am pleased we did. When we were going to move up there it was a very different place than it is now, very over developed now.

Definitely visit both to form a subjective decision and you will view for yourself that Newcastle/Lake Mac and surrounds are NOT over developed.

Lake and Beaches (good ones) in abundance and on your doorstep. 2 hours from Sydney, pop of 500,00 across the whole region.

Great climate.

Guest littlesarah

The secret to the Central Coast is knowing the 'secret spots' - there are suburbs that are currently off the radar of the Sydney commuters and escapees, that are limited in their development capacity, and that as a result are quiet little backwaters. You wouldn't come to my suburb if your first glance was from the main road - and that's the way the locals like it! No, the area is not like it was even 10 years ago, but few places in the world remain unchanged forever - even in Norwich the change in traffic from the time I moved there until the time I left was astonishing!

It's hard to recommend two very different places, because it mostly comes down to work opportunities followed by personal preference. I really like Melbourne, but don't think I'd particularly want to live there. I also like Newcastle, and I personally would rather live there than in Melbourne. But, that comes down to personal preference, and probably also the fact that I'm already settled in NSW.

Thanks for the replies folks. Yes it is the job market for me to start with, then jobs / further education options for my kids in 10 years I am more concerned about. Newcastle just had more of a 'real' Australia look about it. Don't get me wrong, I was totally smitten with Melbourne and the Mornington area on my visits. Just found myself looking further and further out to break that 'same old urban clutter' feel with the housing. (I liked the area around Belgrave etc). Anyway we will have 2 weeks max to validate, so will have to decide if kids can take another flight up to NSW (plus the $1k for the flights alone).

Guest littlesarah

Not sure if you already know this, but you can fly direct to Newcastle. Sometimes though it's cheaper to fly to Syd & get the train up.

Archived