Stamp Duty & First time buyers rebate

toughspiders

I have not got there yet BUT...i notice we may be eligible for $7000 as we would be classed as first time buyers, is this true..If so i have read we may be eligible also for a discount on the stamp duty. However i have been on the QLD site and cannot find a mention of stamp duty but something about transfer duty and mortgage duty...A little confused can someone enlighten me???

Cheers

Bex

Guest BullcreekBob
I have not got there yet BUT...i notice we may be eligible for $7000 as we would be classed as first time buyers, is this true..If so i have read we may be eligible also for a discount on the stamp duty. However i have been on the QLD site and cannot find a mention of stamp duty but something about transfer duty and mortgage duty...A little confused can someone enlighten me???

Cheers

Bex

G'day

If you are coming on a temporary visa you will not get either the First Home Owners Grant not a discount on stamp duty.

If you are on a permanent visa you might be eligible for both. The rules differ slightly from state to state. I think eligibilty for FHOG is similar in all states, i.e. you've not previously owned a residential Australian property. For Qld residents, see here for more details Eligibility for the Grant

To get stamp duty relief in most Aussie states you just need to qualify for FHOG (ie have never owned a property in Australia). But in Qld the rules are different. In Qld to be eligible for reduced stamp duty you need to have never owned a property anywhere in the world. See Concessions for homes and look at the 5th last question which says

Q Is the first home concession allowable for people who are purchasing their first home in Queensland, but who have previously owned a home in another state or overseas?

A No. See section 86(2) and section 92 of the Duties Act 2001. A person's home is a first home if, before acquiring the home, the person did not hold and has never before held an interest in other residential land in Queensland or elsewhere,

we came on Pr and got the first time buyers grant last year.The sloicitor said if youd no other property and hadnt owned one in australia before you were eligible.The stamp duty was changing around the time we bought but it was something like ,only payable on property over300,000,not too sure of up to date figures though.

Cal x

Guest billy braveheart

If on a permanent visa(WA) you do not pay stamp duty on home up to $500,000

if your on a temp visa then u pay on any purchase made

Guest The Baggo's

Hi, just settled on our house today!!! We have had to pay stamp duty but as we are on PR we will get the $7k first home owners grant - said it would be in our account on settlement so hopefully will be there tomorrow!!

Archived