Any tradies needing help with getting their licence.

Good luck with reading a book on how to do large electrical installations. For wiring a room in a house that could be done yes but the work would be poor. For a larger installation your connections would be a mess and dangerous for a start and the likelyhood of anything working would be 0.001%. I am still learning new skills in my field after 20 years due to constant changing technology. You still do the karate kid movements day in day out, so to say i have less skill is laughable. Installing electrical systems neatly is a skill and far more varied than plastering. One trick pony springs to mind.

Good luck with reading a book on how to do large electrical installations. For wiring a room in a house that could be done yes but the work would be poor. For a larger installation your connections would be a mess and dangerous for a start and the likelyhood of anything working would be 0.001%. I am still learning new skills in my field after 20 years due to constant changing technology. You still do the karate kid movements day in day out, so to say i have less skill is laughable. Installing electrical systems neatly is a skill and far more varied than plastering. One trick pony springs to mind.

It was you who classed yourself as "more skilled" than a joiner,"i" never said you weren't skilled,as Flatpack has said,to me each trade is as valuable as the next,i just wondered what made you class yourself as more skilled than a joiner,thats all

Less art and crafty yes but more technical, it is like comparing apples with oranges to be honest. But to be a good spark and to go further in your career you really need to have good maths and physics understanding where as a plasterer or painter could be trained even if they cant read or write.

Less art and crafty yes but more technical, it is like comparing apples with oranges to be honest. But to be a good spark and to go further in your career you really need to have good maths and physics understanding where as a plasterer or painter could be trained even if they cant read or write.

Thats my point,to an extent,sparking(standard),isnt the same as watching a stone mason take a chunk of sandstone and cut,carve and dress the last voussoir for an arch,for example,re the plasterer analogy,no,they wouldnt need to have a good maths or physics understanding,but plastering isnt always standard either,ive been on heritage work for most of the last 2 yrs.

Ive watched plasterers having to form coving the traditional way,not with stick on ones from b+q,its a craft

Same with brickwork,anyone can set one on top of two in a standard stretcher bond,but ask them to build a barley twist pillar,or ask them to work out how to make a former for an arch and work out the taper needed to make the joints on every voussoir even over the curve of the arch,or ask them to build a buttress in tumbling in bond,they couldnt do it

My point is the same tho,no one trade is "more" skilled than the other,they just involve different criteria to be classed as skilled,none more skilled than the other

Yes i agree with your point there but those type of skills are dieing out and only a very small percentage of the people/companies in those trades are capable of that kind of work. I done a lot of heritage work in Scotland on some of our most famous buildings so I am very familiar with that kind of work.

Yes i agree with your point there but those type of skills are dieing out and only a very small percentage of the people/companies in those trades are capable of that kind of work. I done a lot of heritage work in Scotland on some of our most famous buildings so I am very familiar with that kind of work.

I can agree with you on that,even standard bricklayers are getting hard to find,we've had about 20 start and go the last cpl of yrs,theres been two i would pair up with,talking to an apprentice bricky the other day,he said in his college they dont even set brick any more!just H+S and theory

We were given progress tasks by our tutor,last one was building an English bond wall with a thousand brick in it in a day,if yer couldnt do it you were on the wall of shame

I was asked to build a chimney stack out of tumbling in bond,real headache,had to use a sliding bevel to get the angled brick cuts right,pretty involved,but when it was finished i was made up,they left it up for 12 months i was told,then others were asked to copy it,seems now theres nothing like this,its a shame

Yes please Lynsey. If you could give me some advice that would be great. My husbands a joiner and is about to go through the process of getting his skills assessed for the visa app, but has mentioned he would be interested (plus I think it would be very wise) to get the ball rolling in terms of getting job ready. I have heard a few stories of people waiting months for licenses before they can start properly looking for work.