Any tradies needing help with getting their licence.

Any tradies needing any help or advise for getting their licences or qualifications transfered to Australian qualifications i am willing to help.

My husband is a fully qualified carpenter, had his own building company back in the UK, loads of experience and references yet still struggled to find a good job once landing in Oz..

We have been here 2 years now and my husband has just got his carpenters licence as without one a good job or any job is hard to find..

we found a trainer that can get licences/ transfer of qualifications in place while your still in the Uk and can have you job ready within weeks of arriving (not months or even years..)

you can even spread the cost and pay monthly so there is not a great expense to find or any extra hassles when you get here.

Any advise needed please feel free to contact me.

Edited by Karl Lynsey and Kids

Be a total waste of money for most people!!!

New South Wales

• Licensing is compulsory for unsupervised residential trade work. Licensing is not required for commercial or residential trade work.

Victoria

• There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for the occupation of Carpenter in Victoria.

Queensland

• A licence is required when an individual or company wants to carry out, undertake to carry out or supervise building work valued over $3,300 (including labour and materials) in Queensland.

South Australia

• There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for the occupation of Carpenter in South Australia.

Western Australia

• There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for the occupation of Carpenter in Western Australia.

Tasmania

• There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for the occupation of Carpenter in Tasmania.

Northern Territory

• Registration is compulsory in order to carry out residential building work over the value of $12,000.

Australian Capital Territory

• There is no legal requirement for licensing or registration for the occupation of Carpenter in the ACT.

If it is anything to do with an unrecognised training organisation like Down Under Tradies, it is definitely a waste of money and any qualification they give you is not worth the paper it is written on, you will still need to do the training required for your trade when you get to Australia. Any training to gain a licence needs to be done via an RTO, who cannot issue licences anyway. You still also need to apply to the Licencing Board in whatever state you are going to.

Also I don't know why anyone cant get a job as a carpenter without a licence as you will see 90% of the states do not require one.

Edited by AJ

Correct me if i am wrong here but don't you get a cert 3 in carpentry issued by Vetassess which you do as part of your visa application anyway? Only sparks and plumbers have to do additional training in Australia, cant be done in the UK if anyone tells you it can they are stealing your money for nothing

Any tradies needing any help or advise for getting their licences or qualifications transfered to Australian qualifications i am willing to help.

My husband is a fully qualified carpenter, had his own building company back in the UK, loads of experience and references yet still struggled to find a good job once landing in Oz..

We have been here 2 years now and my husband has just got his carpenters licence as without one a good job or any job is hard to find..

we found a trainer that can get licences/ transfer of qualifications in place while your still in the Uk and can have you job ready within weeks of arriving (not months or even years..)

you can even spread the cost and pay monthly so there is not a great expense to find or any extra hassles when you get here.

Any advise needed please feel free to contact me.

Hi

Are you able to pass on any information? I think it would be worthwhile my hubby at least starting the process for natural gas, LPG and possibly electrical and refrigeration too. He has the qualifications in the UK (he works doing domestic appliance repairs) but we are moving to Brisbane so to get started, or even an appreciation of the requirements would be good!

:)

Thanks in advance!

Lou

Hi

Are you able to pass on any information? I think it would be worthwhile my hubby at least starting the process for natural gas, LPG and possibly electrical and refrigeration too. He has the qualifications in the UK (he works doing domestic appliance repairs) but we are moving to Brisbane so to get started, or even an appreciation of the requirements would be good!

:)

Thanks in advance!

Lou

Ass already advised this so called training is no good but if you want to waste your money it's up to you

The company we used is a recognised training organisation and is able to deliver all over Australia not just in Queensland.

Plus it depends what you want out of life....

If you are happy to work for somebody else or be a handyman who can't take on jobs over $3,300 including labour and materials ( when materials alone cost a fortune), and be willing to compete against the Australians for jobs who have Australian qualifications and be willing to be paid rubbish wages when you do land a job then yes it maybe a waste of money to some, but for those who have bigger dreams of becoming somebody and making something of your new life down under its entirely down to you.

All we know is all the jobs for carpenters which where coming up when my husband had been out of work for 6 months and our savings where dwindling fast is they all requested a licence and yes in the end he landed a job without one but only because he applied for an apprentice position and living on a rubbish wage with 3 kids rent etc etc is very hard to do..

so i would suggest you make up your own minds as to if its a waste of money or not, I know for a fact my husband will be going on to do his builders licence next and don't think for one minute that any money has been wasted on doing any kind of licence...

Edited by Karl Lynsey and Kids

Vetassess are not a reconised Australian qualification, but the rto use the same information used by Vetassess all the evidence and reference gathering are pretty much the same but they will not take this into account when applying for your licence, even though you can't get into Australia without passing this qualification from vetassess it dosen't count..

The company we used is a recognised training organisation and is able to deliver all over Australia not just in Queensland.

Plus it depends what you want out of life....

If you are happy to work for somebody else or be a handyman who can't take on jobs over $3,300 including labour and materials ( when materials alone cost a fortune), and be willing to compete against the Australians for jobs who have Australian qualifications and be willing to be paid rubbish wages when you do land a job then yes it maybe a waste of money to some, but for those who have bigger dreams of becoming somebody and making something of your new life down under its entirely down to you.

All we know is all the jobs for carpenters which where coming up when my husband had been out of work for 6 months and our savings where dwindling fast is they all requested a licence and yes in the end he landed a job without one but only because he applied for an apprentice position and living on a rubbish wage with 3 kids rent etc etc is very hard to do..

so i would suggest you make up your own minds as to if its a waste of money or not, I know for a fact my husband will be going on to do his builders licence next and don't think for one minute that any money has been wasted on doing kind of licence...

You seem very passionate about this company,are they not allowed to advertise on here then?

If they are that great what is there name so I can check them out. If all is as you say there is no harm in making their name public, or PM me their name. Are you on a commission if anyone signs up? Your last post sound like its been written by a recruitment person by the way. And as already pointed out carpenters in the majority of states do not need licences and I know for a fact that you cannot do electrical training this way.

Edited by AJ

It sounds to me like you are getting mixed up with a contractors license? Vetassess gives a carpenter a cert 3 which means that they can present this to the licensing board pay a fee and receive their carpenters license. For the more skilled trades we have to do gap training in Australia ONLY then when complete we send it to vetassess who provide us a cert 3 which we then take to the licensing board. You wont be able to apply for a contractors license which allows you to do work above a certain value without residing in Australia and holding the relevant states license.

It sounds to me like you are getting mixed up with a contractors license? Vetassess gives a carpenter a cert 3 which means that they can present this to the licensing board pay a fee and receive their carpenters license. For the more skilled trades we have to do gap training in Australia ONLY then when complete we send it to vetassess who provide us a cert 3 which we then take to the licensing board. You wont be able to apply for a contractors license which allows you to do work above a certain value without residing in Australia and holding the relevant states license.

I was thinking the same mate

More skilled,than a carpenter,youre a spark arent yer?

Don't know much about the licenses but I do know sparks are the lowest skilled of all the building industry! Nothing hard about cutting a wire or tightening a terminal screw.

Don't know much about the licenses but I do know sparks are the lowest skilled of all the building industry! Nothing hard about cutting a wire or tightening a terminal screw.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Are you for real ? Do you think that's all sparks do? Go say that to some of the High Voltage guys! So how much skill is involved in sawing a bit 2 x 2 and banging in a nail?

Edited by AJ

Yes all we do is cut wires and tighten screws all day lol. Anyone can fit a socket or light fitting just as i can quite easily hang a door but can you install and correctly wire an industrial switch room with all the controls?

Yes all we do is cut wires and tighten screws all day lol. Anyone can fit a socket or light fitting just as i can quite easily hang a door but can you install and correctly wire an industrial switch room with all the controls?

Probably not but that is not a skill, it is knowledge, it can be taught and completed without practice. A skill needs time to develop, it needs to be honed over time. I can name countless things that many trades do that are skills, and many that are pure knowledge, the trade with the least amount of skill is a sparks but they need the highest degree of knowledge.

As for the guys who work on high voltage, well that doesn't make it any more skillfull, more dangerous perhaps. As for plasters, they probably need a hell of a lot more skill than they do knowledge.

Imagine reading a book that describes how to plaster a room, no matter how much detail it goes into, or how many times you read that book. You are not going to be able to plaster that room like a man with years of experience that has honed his skills.

Likewise if you read a book that described how to wire up a room, could you follow that? I think the answer to that is yes.

Unlike you, I'm not proclaiming one trade is better than another, what am I saying is that, in the main sparks are not highly skilled. You see it's the definition of the work SKILL.

Probably not but that is not a skill, it is knowledge, it can be taught and completed without practice. A skill needs time to develop, it needs to be honed over time. I can name countless things that many trades do that are skills, and many that are pure knowledge, the trade with the least amount of skill is a sparks but they need the highest degree of knowledge.

As for the guys who work on high voltage, well that doesn't make it any more skillfull, more dangerous perhaps. As for plasters, they probably need a hell of a lot more skill than they do knowledge.

Imagine reading a book that describes how to plaster a room, no matter how much detail it goes into, or how many times you read that book. You are not going to be able to plaster that room like a man with years of experience that has honed his skills.

Likewise if you read a book that described how to wire up a room, could you follow that? I think the answer to that is yes.

Unlike you, I'm not proclaiming one trade is better than another, what am I saying is that, in the main sparks are not highly skilled. You see it's the definition of the work SKILL.

Sparks are paid for what they know not what they do.. Your paid for what you do not what you know..!!