$68,500 is this enough?

pomonwaytooz

Hi, i have managed to get myself in Perth as a forktruck engineer which i am delighted about i am just awaiting my visa then i will be going straight away, i will be coming out there as a single person and i have been looking at renting a room in somebodys house which is going to be approximately$200 a week I am not 100% sure how much tax i will be paying and any other costs incurred i will be paying roughly so if someone can give me any advise that would great, oh and also i won't need a car or mobile phone as i will be getting these are supplied with my new job. Thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with the new job mate. You certainly have enough money for a comfortable landing in Perth but I suppose it all depends on what you expect for your $68k. Single with a few bob and a job to go to sounds like a great start.

good luck.... Syd.

Good luck with the new job mate. You certainly have enough money for a comfortable landing in Perth but I suppose it all depends on what you expect for your $68k. Single with a few bob and a job to go to sounds like a great start.

good luck.... Syd.

Cheers mate that is very re-assuring to know

Hi, if you put tax calculator for Australia into google, there is a calculator that works out tax and other levys I.e. Medicare etc... That gets taken out and gives you a clearer idea of what you will have to work with each month, good luck w xxnx

Thanks wendy i will have a look at that, i didn't realise i would be so well off financially, I hope it works out for everybody who review to make the move

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Thanks toodoulo and flatpack $68.500 is what i will be earning and hopefully i will be taking about 10,000 pound.

Aussie average wages are paid at roughly 2.5 times the average wage in the UK, it used to be nearer 2.2 times a few years back, but as you know wages have stagnated in the UK, but in Australia they have gone up by more than 20%. Just ignore the current exchange rate it's irrelevant to working out the cost of living, so your wage is similar to earning and living on about £28,000 in the UK.

Good luck with the role! $68,500 gives you about $4470 a month after tax (1150 tax, 145 medicare).

Its enough to rent a room and have a few beers. But it's not a fortune. But the phone & car supplied will help.

To put it in perspective, my basic outgoings for 2 people is over $5,000 a month (mortgage, water/gas/electric, TV/phone/internet, rates/rego).

Thanks wendy i will have a look at that, i didn't realise i would be so well off financially, I hope it works out for everybody who review to make the move

You won't be well off, but unless you are used to something completely different you will find it perfectly liveable. It is about national average salary and will probably feel much the same as national average in UK, so about £27-29k.

A few weeks ago a thread was started about earning £60000 a year in the uk and not feeling particularly wealthy. Using the 2.5 theory that's used on this site 60k = $150000 a year to be in the same financial position you would be on 60k in the uk ..!!

A few weeks ago a thread was started about earning £60000 a year in the uk and not feeling particularly wealthy. Using the 2.5 theory that's used on this site 60k = $150000 a year to be in the same financial position you would be on 60k in the uk ..!!

Seems to make sense to me. I would think if somebody does not feel well off on £60k they would not feel well off on $150k, both about twice national average.

Yeah. That'd make sense.

Also remember that x2 £30k salaries get taxed less than x1 £60k salary

Aussie average wages are paid at roughly 2.5 times the average wage in the UK, it used to be nearer 2.2 times a few years back, but as you know wages have stagnated in the UK, but in Australia they have gone up by more than 20%. Just ignore the current exchange rate it's irrelevant to working out the cost of living, so your wage is similar to earning and living on about £28,000 in the UK.

I've worked on 2x since I've been here, and that seems to be about right, so at 2.5x he might be in for a pleasant surprise. Having said that, even at 2x (ie. it costs twice as much numerically in A$ as it does in GBP) some things are still pricey - housing (and you're looking at Perth, so very much so), some food (the price of bread!), beer etc., but then some things are much cheaper. for example petrol. You might find that your $68,500 feels nearer GBP34k than GBP28k. But either way, you will be far from starving. Perth does not have the humming night life of Sydney or Melbourne, but it does depend what you are used to, and what you want.

I've worked on 2x since I've been here, and that seems to be about right, so at 2.5x he might be in for a pleasant surprise. Having said that, even at 2x (ie. it costs twice as much numerically in A$ as it does in GBP) some things are still pricey - housing (and you're looking at Perth, so very much so), some food (the price of bread!), beer etc., but then some things are much cheaper. for example petrol. You might find that your $68,500 feels nearer GBP34k than GBP28k. But either way, you will be far from starving. Perth does not have the humming night life of Sydney or Melbourne, but it does depend what you are used to, and what you want.

Agreed there is no point trying to be exact about it. OP would find his salary equivalent to something from late £20s to early £30s.

Just while you are on that note, do the Australian women mix with the English or do they tend to stick to there own? I went to Oz about 8 years ago but i went for the ashes so we was just there having a good time among friends so wasn't really looking for any female attention at that time. I love to get out and about but my main goal is to get my probation period completed and then get to mix with everybody after that really, i play football/soccer a lot so i will be looking to join a team more so for getting to meet people mainly, so if you know any teams around the Malaga area that would be great aswell

Just while you are on that note, do the Australian women mix with the English or do they tend to stick to there own? I went to Oz about 8 years ago but i went for the ashes so we was just there having a good time among friends so wasn't really looking for any female attention at that time. I love to get out and about but my main goal is to get my probation period completed and then get to mix with everybody after that really, i play football/soccer a lot so i will be looking to join a team more so for getting to meet people mainly, so if you know any teams around the Malaga area that would be great aswell

Don't know whether you watch as well as play, but you'll have Perth Glory to go and support. The actual quality of the football may be variable, but from what I have seen on TV, they have the nearest to a British style crowd culture at the Glory matches as I've seen at any A League ground.

Don't know whether you watch as well as play, but you'll have Perth Glory to go and support. The actual quality of the football may be variable, but from what I have seen on TV, they have the nearest to a British style crowd culture at the Glory matches as I've seen at any A League ground.

I had to give up on the A league it is so bad after watching Premier League.

Go watch Aussie rules instead

Archived