IELTS Writing

CowlingAFC

This might be posted in the wrong section! But for me it's certainly a migration issue!

having failed my ielts twice , both by 0.5 on writing(need 7's) can anyone give me a few quick pointers on writing a good essay. I've joined a daily ielts blog, and have researched and practised but if anyone has some tips that would be great.

Unsure if I definetly qualify for the 190 so wanting to complete this ielts incase I need to go for 189

cheers

This might be posted in the wrong section! But for me it's certainly a migration issue!

having failed my ielts twice , both by 0.5 on writing(need 7's) can anyone give me a few quick pointers on writing a good essay. I've joined a daily ielts blog, and have researched and practised but if anyone has some tips that would be great.

Unsure if I definetly qualify for the 190 so wanting to complete this ielts incase I need to go for 189

cheers

Hi CowlingAfc

The following helped me. Spending around first 5 mins planning really helps. Just jot down few bullet points or mind map your intro then middle paragraph (s) which is majority of your essay and your conclusion is just summing up. Keep it simple and make sure your argument or views are consistent. Check your spelling. Look at done good sample essays to get an idea of structure. I was lucky I knew a lot about the subject so it was easy to do for me, however I'm redoing it next week as I now needs 8's and my listening let me down. Is it subject matter or the structure, grammar and spelling etc that is worrying you? Using pencil was uuseful as I could rub out any mistakes!

Hi, I've just passed my IELTS, but was surprised writing was my lowest score (7.5). I made sure I went above the word count, spent double time on part 2, kept spaces between paragraphs and tried to spell correctly, I've heard they are pretty hot on with grammar and punctuation which aren't my top skills. Good luck

I have noticed that they would like to see specific words and phrases like "dramatic increase", "rapid growth", "twice as much as", "however", "in conclusion", "in contrast", as well as the paragraphs. Also, important are quotations of numbers and percentages in brackets and ":" when you list several countries for example.

All these are explained in the numerous IELTS preparation books for the writing module.

cheers

Dont worry about the content or strength of debate in your essay. If it is a subject you don't know anything about just make things up. My essay was about tax on petrol, if you had that say and did not know a thing about it just make stuff up ".. tax on petrol is now at 200% compared to 10% only five years ago..." blah blah. So what I mean is don't waste your time thinking of facts or structuring a solid argument, focus only on grammar and spelling. It is a literacy test not a debating skills test.

Leave yourself plenty of room to correct for example by writing on every other line only. Don't use words that you are not certain of the spelling of and take particular care with words that sound the same like "their, there and they're". Watch your punctuation too, you have above written ", and", whereas I believe there should never be a commas in front of the word "and", perhaps there are exceptions but might be safer to assume there is not.

I didn't read anywhere that they have certain 'buzz' words/phrases that they like until now. I just made sure I hit the word counts, used my best spelling and punctuation. The other thing to look out for is to make sure you address all the points in the question. There are multiple parts, my main essay was something like, teaching cooking in the home is a dying tradition in many countries, what is the situation in your country, what are your experiences from your youth and what do you think the future holds. I made sure I waffled about microwave meals, two working parents, home economics etc, but made sure I covered all aspects.

I didn't read anywhere that they have certain 'buzz' words/phrases that they like until now. I just made sure I hit the word counts, used my best spelling and punctuation. The other thing to look out for is to make sure you address all the points in the question. There are multiple parts, my main essay was something like, teaching cooking in the home is a dying tradition in many countries, what is the situation in your country, what are your experiences from your youth and what do you think the future holds. I made sure I waffled about microwave meals, two working parents, home economics etc, but made sure I covered all aspects.

No I am sure there are no buzz words etc, I think that advice was from a non native speaker. For natives those are fairly unremarkable expressions anyway, but maybe it is helpful to a non native. I think that tips for natives speakers are naturally very different to tips for non natives and a native speaker like the OP should really focus on the native tips.

One example is that non natives always say skim read the passages and highlight key words, I recommend complete opposite for natives, the passages are that easy to read that I would say read carefully two or three times before even looking at the questions to really get the gist of it. I did that and still managed to finish in 15 minutes.

' target band 7 ' book is good , succint book , easy to read , quick tips . I just read the book and did not practice and got 8.0 in my writing test . you can buy the book on amazon . Funnily enough my argument for the essay was weak as was a topic i dont know much about , so i imagine my grammar and punctuation was how i got the 8.0.

No I am sure there are no buzz words etc, I think that advice was from a non native speaker. For natives those are fairly unremarkable expressions anyway, but maybe it is helpful to a non native. I think that tips for natives speakers are naturally very different to tips for non natives and a native speaker like the OP should really focus on the native tips.

One example is that non natives always say skim read the passages and highlight key words, I recommend complete opposite for natives, the passages are that easy to read that I would say read carefully two or three times before even looking at the questions to really get the gist of it. I did that and still managed to finish in 15 minutes.

Rupert, you are correct, I am a non native speaker but it should not matter as IELTS should be the same for everybody and IELTS was designed for non native speakers.

I am surprised that they even ask you to take it (native speakers) but given the situation with the so called "multiculturalism" lately, I guess, it is the right thing to do in order to be fair to all candidates.

I agree that certain buzz words are fairly unremarkable to most of you but for those that have never thought about it, it might be an useful hint. I have been through such exercises over and over again, and all IELTS books have them.

Anyway, good luck to Cowling AFC and I am sure he will get the mark he needs the third time :)

Rupert, you are correct, I am a non native speaker but it should not matter as IELTS should be the same for everybody and IELTS was designed for non native speakers.

I am surprised that they even ask you to take it (native speakers) but given the situation with the so called "multiculturalism" lately, I guess, it is the right thing to do in order to be fair to all candidates.

I agree that certain buzz words are fairly unremarkable to most of you but for those that have never thought about it, it might be an useful hint. I have been through such exercises over and over again, and all IELTS books have them.

Anyway, good luck to Cowling AFC and I am sure he will get the mark he needs the third time :)

No really, it makes a massive difference whether the taker of the test is native or non native. A non native might need 20 minutes to read the text properly, a native would need two minutes so there are completely different tactics and tips that need to be employed even to manage time. As for your phrases, there are just normal words to a native and there is no need to even think about it.

Your input is great for many people, but I hope that the native speaker does not focus on it.

cheers

Hi CowlingAFC,

As you have got above 7 on all other three and 6.5 on writing, your issue is not language. You may be failing on task achievement which can be very tricky. They use three types of task 2 essay questions and if you get "problem & solutions" or "advantages & disadvantages" it will your lucky day as the task is clearly defined. But if you get opinion question, identifying the task and the format to use would be difficult. My advice is that you read very carefully paying attention to each word. In exam conditions we normally tend to start writing without reading the question well. I got many times 9 on all other three but 7.5 on writing until I understood how to crack the opinion question. But again, I am only guessing as IELTS does not give feedback.

Good luck

cheers

hey have you seen the following website-its really helpful

http://www.dcielts.com

I would like to thank everyone for their advice re: IELTs I am sitting the academic exam this Saturday (12th October) and have took everyone's advice from all the threads on Pomsinoz. So fingers crossed!!! I really do not want to have to do it again!!! I believe "damned IELTs" has been named appropriately!

I would like to thank everyone for their advice re: IELTs I am sitting the academic exam this Saturday (12th October) and have took everyone's advice from all the threads on Pomsinoz. So fingers crossed!!! I really do not want to have to do it again!!! I believe "damned IELTs" has been named appropriately!

good luck with it ! i couldnt believe how many people there were sitting mine . at least 80 . im not sure how many were doing the general compared to the academic .

good luck with it ! i couldnt believe how many people there were sitting mine . at least 80 . im not sure how many were doing the general compared to the academic .

I noticed when I sat mine that there seemed to be a section of general sitters and a section of academic. I think that when we went in that all the general were at the front and then there was a change in colour of the papers where the academics started. Most of the academics appeared to be foreign nationals around student age.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again to everyone for the threads on IELTS I found the info helpful x Just received my results today and passed first time (I wouldn't have if I hadn't took advice from you all)

I sat the academic ielts L9,R8.5,S8.5 & the dreaded writing part 7 overall 8.5. Onto the next stage ANMAC I have a feeling im gonna have a long wait!!!!

Archived