We fly out in less than two weeks

And I am organised! I think :cute:

Packed up pretty much everything we are taking. Just a box or two left to fill over this weekend. Sold off most of the furniture (apart from what we are taking and a few bits that are going to the tip or second hand shop). Our house really is a camp out zone atm and its proving quite interesting. But its fun and we are all embracing the mayhem.

Our bags are packed and just a case of streamlining a bit more to have room for some non clothing stuff. We have 80kgs between the 3 of us so should be fine. Although hubby is flying his road bike over in a full on bike case which is taking up a chunk of my extra allowance :rolleyes: We also figure if we need more clothes or shoes we shall just buy a few bits there to last us till the shipping arrives.

Had our leaving BBQ last weekend at a local pub. They hire their BBQ for £25 and you can just pitch up with your guests, bring your own food and away you go. Huge walled garden to ourselves. Was fab, 70 or so adults and about 30 kids. Great afternoon/evening and everyone had a good time. Not emotional or sad, just a lot of fun and kids getting muddy (they found the tap and got soaked then went and rolled in the grass). So glad we did it and the weather was good as we were all outside.

I've cancelled all the direct debits and so on that I am able to to this point. Car insurance won't let me cancel till the day I part with the car. TV licence and council tax the same. Everything else is cancelled already from the day we leave but of course want cancellation fees so are billing us afterwards with the final bill. Making sure we leave money in the joint account to cover all those. Its not a huge amount but it does add up.

We are both keeping our UK mobile numbers (though we won't be using them once in Aus of course). We got the PAC codes for our phones and are simply changing mobile provider and going over to a PAYG account, getting the SIM and £10 of credit and away we go. Numbers will still work for our phones when we return for visits etc, we just swap SIM cards and top up. I have to pay to get out of my contract anyways and it was the same if I did it this way or simply cancelled my number totally. Figured I'd keep my mobile number as I've had it since about 2000 and will use it when back over here. Also got my phone unlocked already. Was simple enough to do and wanted it done before we left.

Aus bank account is already set up for us. And keeping our UK accounts open for various reasons so nothing to worry about there.

One way travel insurance for 48 hours to cover till we arrive in Aus is sorted.

Have I forgotten anything? I am sure there will be something that will crop up that needs my attention but right now I am struggling to think of anything I've missed.

As a Mod, you must have seen one or two posts in your time. So I reckon you must know a thing or two about what needs doing:wink:

Put it this way, if you don't, not much hope for other mere mortals lol.

Some people are meticulous in there move...others like me a bit more haphazard, but we both end up in the same place.

Enjoy your last couple of weeks and safe journey xx

We are both keeping our UK mobile numbers (though we won't be using them once in Aus of course). We got the PAC codes for our phones and are simply changing mobile provider and going over to a PAYG account, getting the SIM and £10 of credit and away we go. Numbers will still work for our phones when we return for visits etc, we just swap SIM cards and top up.

You may find that your UK SIMs get permanently disabled after a period of not being connected to the network / topped-up. I found that this happened and had to get new numbers and SIMs when we went back to the UK.

You may find that your UK SIMs get permanently disabled after a period of not being connected to the network / topped-up. I found that this happened and had to get new numbers and SIMs when we went back to the UK.

I was about to say the same thing. I think it is 90 days but check with provider. Make sure that you send a text from the phone occasionally and should be ok.

We've been told this won't happen but are prepared for that and will get my parents to whack the SIM into their PAYG phone for us if need be. I'll double check but both phone companies have said we won't lose the numbers so here is hoping. Hubby will most likely be flying back to the UK for business at least once a year (perhaps more) so he can keep the SIM's active if need be for us both.

We've been told this won't happen but are prepared for that and will get my parents to whack the SIM into their PAYG phone for us if need be. I'll double check but both phone companies have said we won't lose the numbers so here is hoping. Hubby will most likely be flying back to the UK for business at least once a year (perhaps more) so he can keep the SIM's active if need be for us both.

We had plans for dual-sim phones, but in the end we stopped using our UK numbers. We tend to use facebook messenger or Skype more than SMS to keep in contact with the UK.

As a Mod, you must have seen one or two posts in your time. So I reckon you must know a thing or two about what needs doing:wink:

Put it this way, if you don't, not much hope for other mere mortals lol.

Some people are meticulous in there move...others like me a bit more haphazard, but we both end up in the same place.

Enjoy your last couple of weeks and safe journey xx

I have seen a lot of posts but I don't retain every bit of info in them. My mind would explode (more than it does already on here sometimes) :swoon::laugh:

I am pretty organised. I've moved too many times not to be. My main thing is I am very aware that unlike moving 50 miles up the M5 this move there is no nipping back to the old home town to tie up a loose end or whatever so I have to make sure I've done everything before we go.

We had plans for dual-sim phones, but in the end we stopped using our UK numbers. We tend to use facebook messenger or Skype more than SMS to keep in contact with the UK.

I am using Viber more and more, the free calls and texts is handy but only so long as you have a decent data plan to cover it (or use it when at home connected to the wifi). But its great being able to call people in Aus who use it and know its not costing me anything.

I am using Viber more and more, the free calls and texts is handy but only so long as you have a decent data plan to cover it (or use it when at home connected to the wifi). But its great being able to call people in Aus who use it and know its not costing me anything.

One thing we found with Viber was that it sometime took days for txt messages to be sent from Aus to UK (even though it told us delivered). The home phone packages here are wierd too - it is nearly three times more expensive to call my mother-in-law in Queensland than my mother in the UK.

One thing we found with Viber was that it sometime took days for txt messages to be sent from Aus to UK (even though it told us delivered). The home phone packages here are wierd too - it is nearly three times more expensive to call my mother-in-law in Queensland than my mother in the UK.

So far its worked well for us and those using it in Aus. Not many people here I know use it but I am hoping a few friends will give it a try. Its the family in Aus use it most.

We plan to Skype mostly. And then FB and all the other usual suspects. Facetime is getting more airplay also these days in our house.

So far its worked well for us and those using it in Aus. Not many people here I know use it but I am hoping a few friends will give it a try. Its the family in Aus use it most.

We plan to Skype mostly. And then FB and all the other usual suspects. Facetime is getting more airplay also these days in our house.

Anyhoo best of luck with the move, hope it runs smooth :wubclub:

And I am organised! I think :cute:

Packed up pretty much everything we are taking. Just a box or two left to fill over this weekend. Sold off most of the furniture (apart from what we are taking and a few bits that are going to the tip or second hand shop). Our house really is a camp out zone atm and its proving quite interesting. But its fun and we are all embracing the mayhem.

Our bags are packed and just a case of streamlining a bit more to have room for some non clothing stuff. We have 80kgs between the 3 of us so should be fine. Although hubby is flying his road bike over in a full on bike case which is taking up a chunk of my extra allowance :rolleyes: We also figure if we need more clothes or shoes we shall just buy a few bits there to last us till the shipping arrives.

Had our leaving BBQ last weekend at a local pub. They hire their BBQ for £25 and you can just pitch up with your guests, bring your own food and away you go. Huge walled garden to ourselves. Was fab, 70 or so adults and about 30 kids. Great afternoon/evening and everyone had a good time. Not emotional or sad, just a lot of fun and kids getting muddy (they found the tap and got soaked then went and rolled in the grass). So glad we did it and the weather was good as we were all outside.

I've cancelled all the direct debits and so on that I am able to to this point. Car insurance won't let me cancel till the day I part with the car. TV licence and council tax the same. Everything else is cancelled already from the day we leave but of course want cancellation fees so are billing us afterwards with the final bill. Making sure we leave money in the joint account to cover all those. Its not a huge amount but it does add up.

We are both keeping our UK mobile numbers (though we won't be using them once in Aus of course). We got the PAC codes for our phones and are simply changing mobile provider and going over to a PAYG account, getting the SIM and £10 of credit and away we go. Numbers will still work for our phones when we return for visits etc, we just swap SIM cards and top up. I have to pay to get out of my contract anyways and it was the same if I did it this way or simply cancelled my number totally. Figured I'd keep my mobile number as I've had it since about 2000 and will use it when back over here. Also got my phone unlocked already. Was simple enough to do and wanted it done before we left.

Aus bank account is already set up for us. And keeping our UK accounts open for various reasons so nothing to worry about there.

One way travel insurance for 48 hours to cover till we arrive in Aus is sorted.

Have I forgotten anything? I am sure there will be something that will crop up that needs my attention but right now I am struggling to think of anything I've missed.

So organised! i normally recommend people like you should be shot,for making muddlers like me feel even more of a muddler,but seeing as youre a tall brunette i'll let yer off:wink::laugh:

Hope everything works out ticketyboo Snif,very best wishes to you and yours girl:wubclub:

So you finally get out of The Dump. Seems like it's been years for you lot to finally move.....

One persons rubbish is another man's treasure.

It has been a while in the pipeline. We've been in no massive hurry though, wasn't that we felt compelled to be gone asap or anything. Its been good here, it'll be good in Aus also I am sure.

One persons rubbish is another man's treasure.

It has been a while in the pipeline. We've been in no massive hurry though, wasn't that we felt compelled to be gone asap or anything. Its been good here, it'll be good in Aus also I am sure.

Snifter, that is exactly the right attitude!

I'm sure things will go well for you

Bon voyage :)

If you have any tv licence payments due before you leave cancel your direct debit with your bank now. Although you pay in advance they won't do refunds! We ended up paying a quarter a couple of weeks before we left thinking we would get a refund, but nope.

Already cancelled as soon as the last payment went out on Sep 1. Just have to notify them when we actually move now.

Archived