taking school age kids with us on a student visa HELP

suandianbrown

can anyone tell me if we need to get our three kids enrolled at school in oz before we make our visa application for a student visa?

have been looking at the dima checklist for temporary visa (subclass 572) and it states that if we have children between 5 and 18 we will need to provide evidence of enrolment in an australian school.

we are a bit confused.....how can we enrol them in a school we have never seen, we don't even know where we want to live yet .

OR have i got this totally wrong :no:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Sue & Ian

I have just had a look at the checklist for the subclass 572 visa. I agree that it does seem to say that they want evidence that your children are enrolled in an Australian school etc.

The main stuff about the visa indicates that you should ask the Australian High Commission in London about this. Please see here:

United Kingdom - Contacts

I think I would be inclined to phone, fax or e-mail them asking them how this notion is supposed to work in the circumstances which you describe.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Glenn&Kaz

Hi Su & Ian

I remember reading a thread from the brownfamily (also on a student visa) that said they put 'unspecified school' on form which cost $100 ea child, but if they found a school within 2 weeks they got money back.

This was last year, but rules are probably still the same, hope that helps.

I have found reading their (brown family) posts very helpful and inspiring as they are so positive & they are really making it work for themselves.

Anyway good luck with it

Karen

• 1 month later...
Guest WelshDebzs
can anyone tell me if we need to get our three kids enrolled at school in oz before we make our visa application for a student visa?

have been looking at the dima checklist for temporary visa (subclass 572) and it states that if we have children between 5 and 18 we will need to provide evidence of enrolment in an australian school.

we are a bit confused.....how can we enrol them in a school we have never seen, we don't even know where we want to live yet .

OR have i got this totally wrong :no:

Hey there

We are hopfully going on a student visa too

Our agent has told me not to worry about the schools you pay a so called fine 100 dollars each child for not having a place but then you can claim it back if you find one in a set time frame.

We already know where we are going to settle so I have been in touch with the schools already and they have been so helpful. They have sent me lots of info and even photos

We will pay the fine just to double check the kids get a good feel for the place,

Good Luck

Debzsx

Guest wendy and neil

Hi Sue And Ian

Me and OH are going on a student visa also, we are going to perth so I dont know if it is the same rules wherever you go. We just emailed Kate from Western Australia Education Dept with the COE and childrens passports and she emailed me back with the letter we needed to apply for the visa, we haven't paid a penny to the education.

If you are going to Perth, let me know and I will give you the email address I got of our agent.

If you need anymore info PM me the details and I will get back to you.

Wendy

:wubclub:

Guest brownfamily
Hi Su & Ian

I remember reading a thread from the brownfamily (also on a student visa) that said they put 'unspecified school' on form which cost $100 ea child, but if they found a school within 2 weeks they got money back.

This was last year, but rules are probably still the same, hope that helps.

I have found reading their (brown family) posts very helpful and inspiring as they are so positive & they are really making it work for themselves.

Anyway good luck with it

Karen

Hi,

Thanks for the positive feedback!!

You might want to check that it is the same process in each state as we are in Queensland and I know that the school fees etc are different depending on which state you go to.

Having said that you were right, for Queensland we paid appx $100 'as school unspecified' and you get appx a month to choose a school and have that money refunded.

Hope this helps.

Heather

PS. We are still loving life in Oz. Had a great weekend:

Friday (kids off and I am off for two weeks as I work in a private school) and spent the day at Currimundi Lake

Saturday had a BBQ for a friends birthday

Sunday went to Mapleton Falls in morning and the beach in the afternoon

Monday went to Seaworld (special offer over here for residents its half price!!!)

There are also hard times when you miss family etc etc so I don't want it to sound like it is a breeze, but we do love it :-)

I'd go with Gill's suggestions and call Immigration. Remember that the form is more usually used for students who wish to continue their education in Aus, not the dependents of students and it is important for Immigration to know that a child applying in their own right as a student has a school to go to. As you are the main applicants and you have a college to go to then you could well get away with "school unspecified".

Hi all

Thanks for all the replies....

Since posting our first thread we have consulted an agent and he has advised that we can go on a skilled sponsered visa 176... OH is a metal machinest 1st class on Paper (qualified and formal apprenticeship) and I have Mum and Sister in melbourne who will sponsor us, so we only need 100 points which we can manage.

Thanks again for all your help

Archived