Agents

Danny842003

Just had a quote from around £1600 to do the leg work for a marriage visa, to be fair I'm a little shocked. Im not going to say its a rip off as I'm not exactly sure how much work is involved but I have a strange feeling that come next July I'm going to find out.

Does this sound about right? Don't really want to name the company as again I'm not accusing anyone of anything just shocked more than anything.

I approached an agent in a lazy moment and that was about what I was quoted but to be honest, I have done it all myself now, although getting all the documents together is a nightmare! The agent can't do that for you as of course, you have all the documents, so all they are going to do is the easy bit, which is filling in the form. It's doing the relationship history and getting the Stat Decs organised and photocopying everything that is the pain and is time consuming. I don't think, if it's a partner visa or prospective marriage visa, you really need an agent.

I used an agent for my visa (different visa to yours) because I didn't want to make mistakes given my age. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have used one. Don't get me wrong, they have been great, but I think I could have done it myself. I should have been more confident of my capabilities. Hindsight is a great thing.

Debs

If your case is straightforward (no medical issues/criminal history/history of immigration issues, etc.) you can almost definitely handle it by yourself. It will require some research on this forum and others to answer your questions, and dedication to detail, but it's definitely doable on your own!

My only issue is I will still be a serving member in the forces although I will be working my years notice. The agent said I would need a letter from my CO and they would guide me as to what it would have to say. Basically after x date I am free and no longer required by them im guessing.

I'm pretty sure that if you start a thread, explaining exactly what you need, then you will find that someone has previously had to address this issue, or knows someone who has and you will get the answer. It's really not hard to fill in the forms, you just need to concentrate on what you're doing and make sure that you read each question carefully. I'm pretty sure that the letter you require will just be confirmation that you are leaving the Forces and on what date. To clarify this you could even phone immigration at Australia House and ask what is needed in the letter as I've called them a couple of times for various queries and they've answered them no problem.

I'm pretty sure that if you start a thread, explaining exactly what you need, then you will find that someone has previously had to address this issue, or knows someone who has and you will get the answer. It's really not hard to fill in the forms, you just need to concentrate on what you're doing and make sure that you read each question carefully. I'm pretty sure that the letter you require will just be confirmation that you are leaving the Forces and on what date. To clarify this you could even phone immigration at Australia House and ask what is needed in the letter as I've called them a couple of times for various queries and they've answered them no problem.

Yeah I am planning on doing it by myself now. Im sometime out as I have a bonus coming up with work and need that before I put my notice in. Was just interest to see how much an agent would cost.

Hi Danny.

Why not try calling a couple more agents - there will be a range of fees on offer, I'm sure.

For reference: http://migrationagentreviews.com/

Best regards.

No offence Alan, but I don't see this as a genuine review site. I wanted to leave a review warning about the joker we wasted our money on, but I can't because he is not on their list. Seeing as he used to advertise in a national UK newspaper and has been at at least one "Down Under" expo - so we're hardly the only people to use him - can I assume the reason his name is not coming up is because he has not paid for advertising on this website...?

No offence Alan, but I don't see this as a genuine review site. I wanted to leave a review warning about the joker we wasted our money on, but I can't because he is not on their list. Seeing as he used to advertise in a national UK newspaper and has been at at least one "Down Under" expo - so we're hardly the only people to use him - can I assume the reason his name is not coming up is because he has not paid for advertising on this website...?

We don't pay for advertising on this review website - and so far as I know the other agents don't either, though to be fair I haven't asked them.

Maybe ask the review site's owners whether the agent in question can be added so you can post a comment?

Best regards.

Not really but I do feel that it may well depend on visa type and complexity of your own personal situation. Partner visas are generally quite simple, you send documentation to prove your relationship is genuine and ongoing. I don't know about other visas to be honest, but many people on here have applied for them successfully without using an agent so I guess it depends on how confident you are.

Archived