Commonwealth or NAB?

Britpop

I know everyone says go for NAB because it's free but I understand commonwealth is more accessible.If the charge is just $5 or so, I would rather pay that than find myself somewhere rural unable to get money but is that likely to happen?

Do you get anything else extra for the charge?

Thanks

If you open a commonweath account in the UK, you get free banking for 12 months. If you then continue to pay at least $2000 dollars in every month, the free banking will continue. If you don't get paid $2000 per month and have it apre, stick it in a CAB savings account, transfer it across once a month and then immediately transfer it back to the savings account. This gets round the bank fees issue. It was a member of staff from CBA who suggested it to us when we objected to paying fees.

You can get cashback at the till from all branches of Woolies and Coles so getting cash out is not a big deal.

Also, it seems that cash is used much less here than in the UK. Even small items can be paid for by card so getting cash out is less of a big deal.

We are very happy with the CBA. They have been very good to us so far.

Guest Home Loan Experts

For day to day banking they are very similar. CBA has more ATMs and you can also use BankWest ATMs free of charge. BankWest ATMs are in every 7-11.

NAB have an agreement with RediTeller so also have access to lots of ATMs.

Both have good internet banking. The service you get will vary a lot depending on which department or branch you deal with.

There are significant differences between the banks for other services like credit cards, personal loans and in particular home loans. Mostly because they treat temporary visa holders in different ways.

Go with bankwest they are owned by Commonwealth

Fee free, can use Commonwealth, Bankwest, NAB, Westpac and ANZ Atm's for free.

Unless you regularly go in the branches, then Bankwest is great (Not many branches in Brisbane)

Pretty competitive home loan rates too, and a great credit card.

Hi,

I moved here a month ago and opened an account with NAB before I left the UK. I have to say I wouldn't recommend NAB. Firstly, I couldn't get anyone to reply to my emails to arrange an appointment, then when I turned up the cashier just gave me the cards with no explanation about the account at all. I also found they don't give you a visa debit card to begin with. I had to threaten to withdrawal all my money before I got one. There is just no customer service. I'm sure there are loads of people on here that will totally recommend NAB but from my perspective it's just been one disappointment after another!

Thank you everyone. It sounds as though, if you get 12 month free, then Commonwealth is a good bet. The cash points in 7-11s sounds handy!

Bankwest sounds great too, and I don't think I'll need branch services, I never do here, but just in case I'd rather be able to walk in and get things sorted.

Hi,

I moved here a month ago and opened an account with NAB before I left the UK. I have to say I wouldn't recommend NAB. Firstly, I couldn't get anyone to reply to my emails to arrange an appointment, then when I turned up the cashier just gave me the cards with no explanation about the account at all. I also found they don't give you a visa debit card to begin with. I had to threaten to withdrawal all my money before I got one. There is just no customer service. I'm sure there are loads of people on here that will totally recommend NAB but from my perspective it's just been one disappointment after another!

I am surprised at your experience, ours was great, we rang up an appointment was made and it was all plain sailing including an explanation of the whole savings/ credit malarkey !

They won't issue a visa debit until they have your ID but we had ours within 5 days of the branch visit. The EFTPOS card was fine to start with and was accepted virtually everywhere.

Whenever I ring with a query which isn't often it is easy to get through to a real person and they are in Australia !

The Internet and mobile app banking are also great.

Oh and no monthly fees on their regular account ever!

I think you were just unlucky !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

We opened an ANZ account here in the UK. Chose it as family were already with them. Very easy to open it here. We went into a branch when we arrived in Perth, all our cards were waiting for us. We get free banking due to our advanced years!! However, don't really know how good they are, as only limited experience of them so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys

I have opened an account with Commonwealth Bank and I leave for Perth in 2 and a half weeks. I haven't transferred any money over yet, what's the best way to do this? Also I'm worried I'll transfer the money over but then wont have access to it till I arrive and go to a branch, is this correct?

Thanks

Em :)

Hey Guys

I have opened an account with Commonwealth Bank and I leave for Perth in 2 and a half weeks. I haven't transferred any money over yet, what's the best way to do this? Also I'm worried I'll transfer the money over but then wont have access to it till I arrive and go to a branch, is this correct?

Thanks

Em :)

Use moneycorp. Get the money over there. Go to the bank on the day you arrive (or the following day if your flight lands in the evening), collect your cards and bingo, access to your money. You could also do what my husband did and take a couple of hundred dollars in cash to tide you over (taxis from airport, first meal etc).

Archived