Flights :)

debbio

Hi guys...

So we are trying to book flights for October time and can get a few pretty decent deals...however, we had looked at the possibility of having a few days stop over in Dubia, but the cost of flights gos up dramatically and the flights from dubia to Brisbane have horrendous stop overs...

Does anyone have any advice??

Thank you kindly! x x

The appeal of stopping in Dubai is lost on me. Plus I don't like that route to fly to Aus. I prefer going via Asia and having a long first leg flight out to Singapore from the UK, then a few hours in the airport before getting back on the last leg to Aus (7 hours or so flight there). I don't really go much for a few days stopover en route out there. But Singapore is great for a few days, as is Hong Kong IMHO.

I'd look to other routes and see if they offer better value for money for a stop over somewhere. Or just go straight through if you want to go via Dubai.

Hi guys...

So we are trying to book flights for October time and can get a few pretty decent deals...however, we had looked at the possibility of having a few days stop over in Dubia, but the cost of flights gos up dramatically and the flights from dubia to Brisbane have horrendous stop overs...

Does anyone have any advice??

Thank you kindly! x x

We flew with Cathay Pacific last year and couldn't be happier. We changed flights in Hong Kong though. We got the best fare by calling the airline directly.

The appeal of stopping in Dubai is lost on me. Plus I don't like that route to fly to Aus. I prefer going via Asia and having a long first leg flight out to Singapore from the UK, then a few hours in the airport before getting back on the last leg to Aus (7 hours or so flight there). I don't really go much for a few days stopover en route out there. But Singapore is great for a few days, as is Hong Kong IMHO.

I'd look to other routes and see if they offer better value for money for a stop over somewhere. Or just go straight through if you want to go via Dubai.

Thats does sound liek a good flight and I would love to see a tiny bit of Hong Kong...who do you fly with?

Thats does sound liek a good flight and I would love to see a tiny bit of Hong Kong...who do you fly with?

Cathay are the airline based out of HK.

Singapore airlines out of Singapore.

Both good airlines, both great places for a few days. Singapore edges it for me if you have kids and want to go a bit nuts and visit somewhere like this

http://www.rwsentosa.com/Homepage/ThingsToDo/UniversalStudiosSingapore

We flew 3 weeks ago to Perth via Singapore with Singapore Airlines on the huge A380 plane and it was absolutely fantastic!!

We spent 3 nights in Singapore before flying to Perth (which was 5 hours). Singapore was amazing and I'd definitely recommend a stopover there! We will definitely be going back!

in terms of price, Singapore Airlines were the cheapest but they give you 40kgs each for all those travelling on an unused permanent visa - they also provided us with this double allowance on the 2nd leg - all we had to do was produce the email from them confirming this!

I`ve visited Dubai and unless you`re a huge fan of modern architecture, there are better places to spend time if you want a couple of days layover. If you`re set on Dubai, there`s the river in the middle of the city, gold souk, museum. I`m not sure if it`s possible to visit Burj Khalifah - the highest building in the world.

Singaore sounds just amazing guys! Thank you! Will see what deal we can get...

One problem with us is that we would like to fly from Glasgow so that would probably need a flight to London first.

Thanks again! x x

Yup, there's your big challenge...flying from Glasgow makes Emirates the obvious choice. I personally wouldn't fancy going through heathrow or anywhere else (you can probably go to Amsterdam instead of Heathrow...) You'll be changing airlines, etc.

Having said that...there's absolutely nothing stopping you going Emirates and stopping over in Singapore. They fly Glasgow - Dubai, and then there are two routes to Brisbane...one direct and one with a stop at Singapore. You can book a flight allowing you to have a night or two at Singapore and just get on another Emirates plane a day or two later to Brisbane from Singapore. Not sure the exact details. My Dad is coming over in a few days time, he's coming Glasgow-Dubai-Singapore-Brisbane and then going back Brisbane-Dubai-Glasgow. I've stopped in Singapore with Emirates three or four times, but never left the airport. I had a couple of cousins from Glasgow come over 2 years ago. They had a 2 night stopover in Singapore with Emirates.

Emirates don't go through HK to Brisbane unfortunately

Singapore fly in and out of Manchester if that's any better for you. We have just returned from a holiday and went with Singapore. We were supposed to have a 3hour stopover on the way out but they cancelled a flight so we had an 11 hour wait. We complained and Singapore Airlines put us in the Airport Hotel for a few hours. Worked out really well as there is a rooftop pool and bar at the airport which is very relaxing. Felt great after a swim and a couple of beers. Quick snooze and back on the plane for the next leg. All 3 of us felt a lot better for the break tbh.

We had a stay in Singapore Sentosa Island for 4 days on the way back and it was the best resort I've ever stayed in. We got a good deal on the resort as we were flying with the airline. It's VERY expensive to do anything there though. Plenty to do but they charge the earth for everything and then whack their 7% GST and a 10% service charge on after, not mentioned in the prices at restaurants and bars. It's about $14 dollars for a bottle of beer and expensive for everyhting else.

Luckily we were looking to have a relax after a very hectic few weeks in the UK so the pool and gym at the resort were top notch and we had plenty of time laying around by the pool. The resort was right on the beach but compared to the beaches here they look a bit tacky and the water doesn't look inviting at all. Pool was massive though so spent the time there.

Happy with Singapore flights. Food and entertainment were good, hostesses nice and friendly, lots of free drinks if you want them, just ask. My wife has flown via Dubai and thought Singapore airlines and the route is much better. She also thought there was more legroom on the Singapore plane. Not flown with them myself so don't know how true that is.

We've also been with Malaysian Airlines via KL and enjoyed that too. Had a short stopover in a nice resort near KL, which made us realise we needed a holiday on the way back this time. I would recommend Singapore Airlines and the airport is fantastic.

Archived