Returning to Wales

LCE

Good for u all!

Perth is losing some Brits next year , we are also off home in march from perth , never liked the place from day one rude residents and boring as f @@k.

Getting passports my othe r half wants to I couldn't care less.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say its been good . The only good part is the mineing money ... Set up for life :-) earn here spend at home yay

Hi, I remember you nice pair from last year.....do you remember I told you Perth was boring for the younger set?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It painfully annoys me everytime I come back to Oz that I have to slowly explain to people that whilst I may have picked up an English accent whilst I was living away from Perth, I am not English and I refuse to be treated like an English person. Annoys the crap out of me when people treat me like a new arrival. Paul - you would be hard pressed to find an aussie that doesn't despise poms. They may not say it to your face, but they'll say it behind your back.

My experience as well.

How do English people get treated newjez? Different to your average Aussie, Italian, South African, German? The guys that I hang around with would definitely say something to your face if they had something to say, not behind your back. There is loads of banter between all nationalities, just as much aimed at aussies from poms as aussies to poms. We all take it in the manner it's meant and we all give it back.

When I lived in Derbyshire there was more hatred between Derbyshire and Yorkshire people. I've had more trouble going on stag nights to Sheffield or Nottingham than I've seen here. Just because they could pick your accent.

Worst I've ever seen though was going to Scarborough when it was Glasgow fortnight. As soon as the scots get a few down them they hated the English. In fact they hated everyone. If they didn't manage to get a scrap with English guys they would fight with their mates.

Paul you are clutching at straws mate....people in the UK go all over the country and people do not take any notice of anyone's accent and treat the same no matter were they come from, just accept most Aussies ding like the English..it's a fact, they have an inferiority complex from way back when for whatever reason.

Guest Guest16631

........to say all Aussies hate the English......

.........that you cannot find a decent Aussie/English/other nationality add as wanted........friend./colleague ....

.........says more about you than the people your describing IMO.......

.........if you don't get on with the people you meet.......

..........search till you find some that you do........

.........good grief.........how many people live in each country......

...........and their ......ALL.........the same.........????

Oh dear ... the thread has turned into an Aus v UK/Perth bashing thread. I have edited some posts to take out personal comments directed at other members and some of the more colourful adjectives (profanities).

I have noticed a trend of people who say that they are unhappy here have a barrage of abuse hurled at them for daring to think differently to those who like it here. Do you think we could have a forum for people who don't like it where they can air their problems or concerns without being attacked for it please? It could be called, "I've got enough problems and feel isolated so I don't need your 2 pence worth having a dig at me, but thanks for looking" Just a suggestion.

Cheers J

I have noticed a trend of people who say that they are unhappy here have a barrage of abuse hurled at them for daring to think differently to those who like it here. Do you think we could have a forum for people who don't like it where they can air their problems or concerns without being attacked for it please? It could be called, "I've got enough problems and feel isolated so I don't need your 2 pence worth having a dig at me, but thanks for looking" Just a suggestion.

Cheers J

There is a private forum for moving back to the UK which you can apply to admin to join. I have to say on this thread it's those who don't like Aus whose comments have needed to be edited not the other way around.

Paul you are clutching at straws mate....people in the UK go all over the country and people do not take any notice of anyone's accent and treat the same no matter were they come from, just accept most Aussies ding like the English..it's a fact, they have an inferiority complex from way back when for whatever reason.

Tell that to my mate from Manchester who has rental properties and rented to a Geordie family newly arrived. He thought he was doing them a favour and they seemed OK, couple of kids. First he ahd problems getting the rent and when he managed to get them out the guy had carved his name and several derogatory comments and Manc B****** and the like in his nice floorboards.

Tell that to my mate from Manchester who has rental properties and rented to a Geordie family newly arrived. He thought he was doing them a favour and they seemed OK, couple of kids. First he ahd problems getting the rent and when he managed to get them out the guy had carved his name and several derogatory comments and Manc B****** and the like in his nice floorboards.

Does that say something about those happily making a good life in the UK or does it say more about the caliber of new British migrants?

So many of those that come in search of a 'new life' end up dragging their old one with them.

people in the UK go all over the country and people do not take any notice of anyone's accent and treat the same no matter were they come from, just accept most Aussies ding like the English..it's a fact, they have an inferiority complex from way back when for whatever reason.

Really? Again, not my experience. Whether you get judged on your accent in the UK depends on the accent you have, but I'd suggest that those of us with discernable West Midlands accents got a fair bit of judging by some people, and I imagine it is the same for a lot of scousers too. And over here, if some knuckleheads want to play the same game of knocking me on the basis of my accent, then that says more about them than it ever will about me, just as it did in the UK. Personally I feel a lot less pigeonholed by my accent over here than I did in the UK. But over here I have only heard positive comments about where I come from, and I have very many good Aussie friends who are not so small minded than to see me, or my family, as being anything other than individuals whom they happen to like. Fine, if people have come here and don't like what they find, whatever that is, fair enough (Aus is far from perfect) - write it off to experience and take the next steps in your life. But seriously - anyone making a statement that starts 'All Aussies...' or 'Aussies...' and then goes on to make comments about the characteristics of 23 million people needs to have a a good think about the sense of what they are saying.

Edited by fensaddler
correcting my grammar!

I’ve been giving this some more thought, because the reasons why some people do or don’t succeed in settling in Australia intrigues me. I don’t think, fundamentally, it’s about Australia. This country is undoubtedly a mix of the good, the bad and the ordinary. So the first reason for not settling may simply be that people came with expectations about Australia that could never be fulfilled. These are, I suppose, the people who watched ‘Wanted Down Under’ and actually believed it was anything more than entertainment, or thought that somehow, magically, moving to Australia would make them rich. Stories like that usually begin with the words ‘once upon a time’… There is no pot of gold at the end of any rainbow.

The second reason is probably luck – some people end up in a place they like, or with a job that suits them, or meeting people they really get on with, and others don’t. If on balance you get good stuff, you have a positive view of the experience, and if you don’t, you tend to have a bad experience. I feel fortunate to have picked a city I love, to have ended up living in a part of it that I like, and to have made some really good friends. If some of that hadn’t gone so well, I might have a different view – a few months back we visited a part of Melbourne we had initially considered as a place to live. It was, to our eyes, a miserable place, and had we ended up moving there, we might have had a different story to tell. It’s also often true that you make your own luck, and that, from observation, some people seem to live out the words of the blues song – “if it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have no luck at all”.

I’m sure for some people too, emigration is the wake-up call they need to tell them they didn’t have it so bad after all, and that their family and friends, or where they come from, mean more to them than they realised. To some extent that is the experience for all of us – we miss things we never thought we would miss (and at the same time don’t miss some things we thought would be a real issue). It’s the ‘you won’t know until you’ve done it’ factor. These are the people who head back to Blightly because they miss their [mum/siblings/mates/football team/home town] far more than they thought they would. And that’s OK, if you’ve learnt more about what is really important to you in your life. Arguably there are cheaper ways to learn this, but it takes all sorts, and who are any of us to judge…?

Another reason is probably who you are. Some of that may be that there are aspects of your personality or life that are never going to fit with the particular circumstances you land up in over here in Australia. I’m not even going to try and generalise about what those issues could be, and I’d observe that on the face of it, I don’t fit the classic ‘Aussie lifestyle’ stereotype to any great extent, and therefore I’m a terrible candidate for successful assimilation into Australia. And yet I’m happy here. But yes, for some people, some of the time, you’re not going to fit into Australia in the same way that I never quite fitted in Cambridgeshire – it wasn’t me, or the place, it just wasn’t the right partnership. I guess that’s just another version of the old saw about square pegs and round holes.

There is another part of the ‘who you are’ aspect to this discussion, and it is the most difficult to point out. Some people undoubtedly emigrate to fix problems that can’t be fixed by emigration. Again, we could all elaborate about what this could be – but, for example, Australia isn’t going to fix self-loathing, poor social skills, a bad marriage, or even just general, non-specific dissatisfaction with the human condition. Counselling, therapy, philosophy and even religion may address these issues, but not emigration – indeed, emigration may simply make things worse. And I imagine there are more people that make a version of this mistake than ever let on – and rather than own up, if they even realise, they blame the place, or the people in the place, that they went to. And to these people, particularly, the message is – it’s not Australia, or Australians, that is the problem, it’s something in your life that you need to fix in order to be happy.

Now, let me say this before the lynch mob gets saddled up - I do not know, and am not in the business of trying to speculate, which if any of these explanations applies to anyone posting here. It is not my place to draw conclusions, and I don’t know you. So I am not pointing the finger or making personal accusations at anyone in particular. Our experiences of moving here are profoundly personal, and don’t neatly extrapolate into any sort of generalised conclusions. So I am very cautious about drawing generalised conclusions from the little I know, and from what I know of the experiences and comments of other migrants. I simply offer this as a more considered contribution than the Pom or Aussie bashing and ‘blunt object’ generalities that seem, sometimes, to be being chucked around in this discussion.

Edited by fensaddler

One incident and you think it is wide spread, I have been all over the UK and have never had a problem with making friends of different town and cities no matter what their accent is, I honestly cannot believe you believe it exists.

no different to my niece having paint tipped over her drive in north perth last week, at her beachside rental , because she asked for rent owed from tenants .......it happens everywhere paul ....

dont insult me

One incident and you think it is wide spread, I have been all over the UK and have never had a problem with making friends of different town and cities no matter what their accent is, I honestly cannot believe you believe it exists.

I've been here for 22 years PB so it might have changed, accents might have blended in a bit. I only know what I used to experience on stag nights in Sheffield and Nottingham. Same for guys coming from Sheffield to Chesterfield on a night out, they stuck out like sore thumbs and expected a brawl.

I've lived in a lot of places in the UK too and never had problems making friends but to pretend their isn't a lot of resentment/bad feeling between mostly guys from different counties and cities and sometimes the same City but support different teams is living in denial.

no different to my niece having paint tipped over her drive in north perth last week, at her beachside rental , because she asked for rent owed from tenants .......it happens everywhere paul ....

dont insult me

That's what I was saying bunbury. I agree with you, it's PB who's saying it doesn't happen.

I honestly cannot believe that you don't believe it exists.Try carlisle on a weekend mate and put a sticker on your car window of your local football team.then make sure you have prebooked a appointment with your dentist.and I am originally from the north west.not carlisle mind.some people DO NOT like foreigners that's a fact so what. but the way you petray life in the uk is not reality.i have also been too pretty much every part of the uk with my work and drank in every pub where I worked and coming from a carpenter/builder, not a wine taster as soon as you opened your larynx for a pint of mild you could feel the atmos.some we got on with some we did not.lost a few teeth,got locked up but made many friends on the way, that's life and I love it, keeps you on tour toes.By the way I am a father of three and a upstanding member of the community.and whats in the past stays in the past lol.Gday all

Are you lot for real, can you read back your arguments and see what your are actually arguing about.

jeese

if you are on about me, I am for real and I say it like I see it in what I have seen and done. and no I am not arguing.its just PB thinks every uk town is some utopia and its not.for gods sake he works in a bar, what bar I don't know but even if it was the ritz which I doubt he must of seen a bit of agro.

if you are on about me, I am for real and I say it like I see it in what I have seen and done. and no I am not arguing.its just PB thinks every uk town is some utopia and its not.for gods sake he works in a bar, what bar I don't know but even if it was the ritz which I doubt he must of seen a bit of agro.

No poster in particular, just the threads got childish. being mugged abused verbally in any country is just bad luck, wrong place wrong time.

I just thought I would share our experience for others who are considering a move back to the UK. We came to Oz in 2009 on a 457 visa, with a view to staying 2 - 4 years. We ended up staying for the 4 years and during the last year deliberated so much about whether to stay on and apply for permanent residency. We got all our paper work ready including police checks but when it came down to submitting our application we just knew it was not the right decision for us and after talking it through with our children we decided as a family that we all wanted to return home. Half our family were thrilled while the other half thought we were completely mad! But we knew we were doing the right thing.

We have been back since the middle of May and as soon as we arrived back we knew we had made the right decision, it has been amazing spending time with family again and getting to meet new members of the family who were born since we have been in Oz. Jobs wise we have had no problems, my husband got offered a temporary job the week after we got back and then 2 weeks later got offered a permanent full time job which we accepted. I returned to my previous job the month after we came back and my daughter got offered a full time job 2 weeks after our return! so there are jobs out there.

Its also great being back in our own home as we rented out our house. No more house inspections1 Yaay!

Good luck to anyone else moving back. We had a great experience being in Oz, something we and our children will never forget, but for us the pull of being with family was too strong and for us just wasn't home.

We seem to have veered a little way from the OP who seemed pretty chuffed to be returning to Wales. I'll close the thread now - thanks for the contributions to the OP topic