AHPRA Registration with notation question! Please help!

paula27

Hi Everybody

I hope this is not a spectacularly stupid question, but here goes anyway.

I am a registered Learning Disability Nurse in the UK and I have just received my AHPRA eligibility letter through, with the notation of

"solely qualified in the area of disability nursing"

which is grand! But here comes the stupid question, is this in reference to my qualification or is it a complete restriction of where i can practice.

The reason i ask is that i have been working for the last year under a children's hospital caring for children with exceptional health needs, and i had been offered an interview for a children's respiratory ward in Oz, but now i am worried because of the notation i wont be able to work there!!

Any help anybody can offer would be mightily appreciated! Or if you know where a "disability nurse" can find work in Sydney, even better!!!

Thank you!!!!

Paula

Sorry cant help. I know with my Anzsco code although is Aged Care I can work in any general post, but I'm general trained. how will your learning disability experience help on a respiratory ward? Don't mean to sound ignorant just have no idea re learning disability nurses

Do you have the skills for respiratory ward? The potential employer may have assumed you were general trained too as all nurses in oz are..you can only work as rnld as said above..make sure potential employers aware that your LD trained only, ppl always shocked that im an rmn with no general training lol ...good luck, hope you figure it out, sounds confusing!

Hello there!!

Yes i do indeed have the skills to work in a respiratory ward, the post i have just left was caring for children with exceptional health needs, chronic, complex and life limiting conditions (or so it says in my job description), all of the children i looked after had considerable respiratory problems.

Also when i applied for the post i hadn't received my AHPRA rego through, so i only had the RNLD qualification to give them.

I've spoken to a few people, most seem to think it is the same as the NMC, as long as you have the relevant skills you can work there, and it seems to be at the employers discretion. I'm just waiting to hear back from AHPRA to see what the official line is.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by paula27