Positive Emigrating To Australia True Life Stories

Guest The Pom Queen

I posted this in another thread, but also thought I'd post it here so please skip if you've already read it :)

Hello,

Myself and my husband moved to South Australia at the end of February and so far we have loved it. I'm a registered general nurse and my husband's a mental health nurse. Neither of us had work before we arrived but had no problem finding nursing jobs.

I'm from the UK and have found some things are more expensive in Australia and vice versa. We generally spend about the same / slightly more on food per month. At present we don't rent, having managed to stay in caravan parks and housesit which has saved us a lot of money. For anyone interested in housesitting there are plenty of websites where people advertise. We both earn more than we did in the UK now (even though I work 30 hours a week instead of full time) and despite the cost of living being higher we are better off and would most likely be even if we were paying full priced rent. I recommend salary sacrificing if you're able to as it saves a lot of money. There is also the Entertainment Book which you pay around $65 per year for. This is full of discount vouchers for days out, meals, holidays, haircuts etc.

For general nurses, it seems that agency work is easy to pick up if you have some experience and there also seems to be more work in the private sector. I work at a private hospital which is very busy but people I work with tell me that the staffing ratio is better in the public sector. I applied to work in 2 of the public hospitals over 3 months ago and have been offered casual positions, however the whole process is very slow and I'm still waiting for my police checks to come back before I start. When I registered with the agency and started at the private hospital I only needed to show them a basic police check which I got myself through one of the local police stations. I had to pay around $65 for it, but it got me employed a bit faster as I was able to show it when I had the job offers instead of waiting for it to come through.

We're in winter at the moment and although the weather's better than UK winters, houses are generally not very well insulated or heated. If anyone's thinking of coming to South Australia don't throw your jumpers / coats etc. away before you come!

So far, I have loved being here. Adelaide is a great city and there is plenty to do. There are some beautiful places here and overall I have found most people to be friendly. I liked living in the UK before we moved here but so far I don't miss it. My mobile phone provider does a great international rate I can talk for up to 2 hours for only $1 which makes keeping in contact with family much easier.

If anyone has any questions please ask - I don't claim to be an expert on emigrating to Adelaide but I can do my best to help xx - See more at:

• 1 month later...
I posted this in another thread, but also thought I'd post it here so please skip if you've already read it :)

Hello,

Myself and my husband moved to South Australia at the end of February and so far we have loved it. I'm a registered general nurse and my husband's a mental health nurse. Neither of us had work before we arrived but had no problem finding nursing jobs.

I'm from the UK and have found some things are more expensive in Australia and vice versa. We generally spend about the same / slightly more on food per month. At present we don't rent, having managed to stay in caravan parks and housesit which has saved us a lot of money. For anyone interested in housesitting there are plenty of websites where people advertise. We both earn more than we did in the UK now (even though I work 30 hours a week instead of full time) and despite the cost of living being higher we are better off and would most likely be even if we were paying full priced rent. I recommend salary sacrificing if you're able to as it saves a lot of money. There is also the Entertainment Book which you pay around $65 per year for. This is full of discount vouchers for days out, meals, holidays, haircuts etc.

For general nurses, it seems that agency work is easy to pick up if you have some experience and there also seems to be more work in the private sector. I work at a private hospital which is very busy but people I work with tell me that the staffing ratio is better in the public sector. I applied to work in 2 of the public hospitals over 3 months ago and have been offered casual positions, however the whole process is very slow and I'm still waiting for my police checks to come back before I start. When I registered with the agency and started at the private hospital I only needed to show them a basic police check which I got myself through one of the local police stations. I had to pay around $65 for it, but it got me employed a bit faster as I was able to show it when I had the job offers instead of waiting for it to come through.

We're in winter at the moment and although the weather's better than UK winters, houses are generally not very well insulated or heated. If anyone's thinking of coming to South Australia don't throw your jumpers / coats etc. away before you come!

So far, I have loved being here. Adelaide is a great city and there is plenty to do. There are some beautiful places here and overall I have found most people to be friendly. I liked living in the UK before we moved here but so far I don't miss it. My mobile phone provider does a great international rate I can talk for up to 2 hours for only $1 which makes keeping in contact with family much easier.

If anyone has any questions please ask - I don't claim to be an expert on emigrating to Adelaide but I can do my best to help xx - See more at:

Which mobile provider please?

If it's any help - I'm with Optus on a sim only deal. I pay $30 a month and get unlimited Australia calls to landlines and mobiles, unlimited texts, 500mb internet and 250 international minutes to around 30 different countries.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SpaceChild

Hi

I moved to Melbourne from UK in 1994 after meeting my husband who is Australian.

I haven't looked back since. When I got here there was so much space and housing, food, utilities were all cheap. Hospitals and schools were far better than UK and we could live on a single wage and not worry about childcare.

Things have changed a lot and prices are now very high but I would still recommend anyone with or planning a family to come over. There is a more outdoor lifestyle here because of the weather - which is brilliant for kids. Environment is cleaner. Less terrorism threats. melbourne has a short winter - just long enough to cosy up by the fire for a couple of months. Sure I miss my family but we've been back five times and they have been out here too.

• 1 month later...

My story starts way back in 1967 when my parents came to Australia with my sister and I (I was 2), I had an amazing childhood here but my mum (like so many people) got very homesick for family and we all moved back to the UK when I was rising 15. That was really tough!

Years passed, like they do. I married, had 3 children, divorced. Eventually, things fell in to place so that I could come "home". My eldest son came ahead to start Uni while I and the 2 younger boys stayed in the UK to wait for my/our Former Resident, subclass 151 perm visa to be granted. We made the move in August 2011.

I had come over to visit and choose schools before choosing a suburb to live - my middle son was 16 when we moved and my youngest was 8. I knew from my own experience that transitioning Mr 16 would be the make or break for our move. I also knew that I wanted to place the boys in the catholic education sector here. I also knew that making friends is very much easier when you're still connected to primary schools and that getting involved in the local community would pay dividends. Schools have been amazing - Mr 16 is now Mr 19, happy as can be having finished Yr 12 and now working in the offshore oil industry. Mr 8, now 12, is having a wonderful childhood and enjoying his transition to high school, his sport, scouting and lots of friends. I've made lots of friends, I'm very thankful that i immediately became involved in our local Scout group, and still am now. It meant that I was meeting lots of other parents and leaders in my own community and beyond.

I studied for a while before starting work to gain Australian qualifications, now I work part time for a corporate and part time building my own business - it's all coming together very nicely!

The first 2 years were tough - Mr 16 did find it very hard, but it was no where near as hard as it would have been if I hadn't focused so determinedly on his school choice and if I hadn't been able to be available a lot in that time. Financially it was hard, I used all my savings in getting us established. Certainly it would've been easier if I wasn't going it alone!

It has all worked out so well though - I wouldn't hesitate to do it again and I can't imagine ever going back to the UK.

i do miss John Lewis and British news broadcasting but that's about it!

Guest The Pom Queen

Superb updates everyone, please keep them coming, and thank you to everyone who has shared their story so far it really helps those waiting to do the move.

After nearly two years going through the visa process, thanks to multiple changes from DIAC along the way, our visas were granted. The very same day we booked one-way flights for four weeks time, handed in our notice at work and booked our leaving party venue. Those four weeks were bliss but emotional.

BUT, less than 24 hours before our flight - that's when everything went wrong. The start of our Australian adventure was going to be the worst imaginable. We received a phone call saying my partner's brother, at the age of 40, was on life support with a suspected brain haemorrhage. A few hours later he had died. It was the worst few hours possible. Speaking to his mother and father they said we should still get on the plane as it's what his brother would have wanted. It was the hardest decision ever to leave, but we did. The 24 hour flight was an opportunity to reflect on what had happened and we had some emotional moments during the trip. We found our feet quickly in Australia which was terrific but then disaster struck again six months later. We received a call saying my partner's father had died. This was the last of our awful bad luck.

Now for the good stuff. We're three months away from being able to apply for citizenship. We love Canberra. We have awesome friends and jobs. The lifestyle is amazing and we wouldn't change anything. Australia really does offer a great life. It takes some work at first, but once you're settled it's truly awesome.

It really can be AWESOME, if we can do it after everything we went through then anyone can. Just be prepared to work for it in the beginning.

:wink:

My story starts way back in 1967 when my parents came to Australia with my sister and I (I was 2), I had an amazing childhood here but my mum (like so many people) got very homesick for family and we all moved back to the UK when I was rising 15. That was really tough!

Years passed, like they do. I married, had 3 children, divorced. Eventually, things fell in to place so that I could come "home". My eldest son came ahead to start Uni while I and the 2 younger boys stayed in the UK to wait for my/our Former Resident, subclass 151 perm visa to be granted. We made the move in August 2011.

I had come over to visit and choose schools before choosing a suburb to live - my middle son was 16 when we moved and my youngest was 8. I knew from my own experience that transitioning Mr 16 would be the make or break for our move. I also knew that I wanted to place the boys in the catholic education sector here. I also knew that making friends is very much easier when you're still connected to primary schools and that getting involved in the local community would pay dividends. Schools have been amazing - Mr 16 is now Mr 19, happy as can be having finished Yr 12 and now working in the offshore oil industry. Mr 8, now 12, is having a wonderful childhood and enjoying his transition to high school, his sport, scouting and lots of friends. I've made lots of friends, I'm very thankful that i immediately became involved in our local Scout group, and still am now. It meant that I was meeting lots of other parents and leaders in my own community and beyond.

I studied for a while before starting work to gain Australian qualifications, now I work part time for a corporate and part time building my own business - it's all coming together very nicely!

The first 2 years were tough - Mr 16 did find it very hard, but it was no where near as hard as it would have been if I hadn't focused so determinedly on his school choice and if I hadn't been able to be available a lot in that time. Financially it was hard, I used all my savings in getting us established. Certainly it would've been easier if I wasn't going it alone!

It has all worked out so well though - I wouldn't hesitate to do it again and I can't imagine ever going back to the UK.

i do miss John Lewis and British news broadcasting but that's about it!

You show the attitude and toughness required. Others should follow your example

I just pulled my diary out for 1978 to see where I was on the 29th October - at sea, somewhere between Singapore and Freemantle, suffering from a hangover from drinking too many Swan Lagers, but pretending it was sea-sickness. I arrived in Australia on 3rd November, 1978, so it's approaching my 36th anniversary (although I had twelve years back in the UK to reduce my actual time spent living here.)

Reading from my diary, "My 1st impressions of Perth are really good. I like it and I want to stay. I went for a drink in the evening - the 1st pub I was really scared of being called a "Pommie B*stard" by some drunk, but it never happened, and I relaxed after a bit." (In my defence, the uncouth blokes I'd worked with in England had spent the year telling me how nasty Aussies were, to Pommies!)

Just been leafing through the pages for November, into December, trying to remember what I did. I liked it in Perth, and made some friends, partly on the boat and partly at the hostel in Newcastle Street - 'Travelmates', but I couldn't get a job, so I decided to go to Adelaide on my own. When I got to Adelaide, I did not like it as much as Perth but that was partly because I was on my own. I actually decided to go back to Perth, but then I changed my mind, having met two Norwegian guys who were going to Sydney, and I arranged to meet them on the steps of the Opera House.

I got the bus to Sydney on 7th December, 1978, and basically, apart from that sojourn back in the UK, I've been here ever since. Both my brothers followed me in 1979, one moving on to the US after fifteen years, and the other still here.

I've had my ups and downs here, and perhaps I should never have left home. Still, my parents go to see Australia, and make fresh contact with family in NZ, the first since the War. I made frequent trips back to England, culminating in that twelve-year stint, though it would not have happened had I not been made redundant, nor my parents still living in England.

It's nearly six years since I left England for the second time, and I've not been back. Possibly, I never will go back. I've let my UK passport expire, something I never did before.

I guess I've 'gone native' now, and I think the way the Aussies do - i.e, I just 'live' here now. I still like reading about England, watching English TV shows, reading the English newspapers, watching the EPL, but I no longer 'pine' for 'home' because Australia is 'home!'

After nearly two years going through the visa process, thanks to multiple changes from DIAC along the way, our visas were granted. The very same day we booked one-way flights for four weeks time, handed in our notice at work and booked our leaving party venue. Those four weeks were bliss but emotional.

BUT, less than 24 hours before our flight - that's when everything went wrong. The start of our Australian adventure was going to be the worst imaginable. We received a phone call saying my partner's brother, at the age of 40, was on life support with a suspected brain haemorrhage. A few hours later he had died. It was the worst few hours possible. Speaking to his mother and father they said we should still get on the plane as it's what his brother would have wanted. It was the hardest decision ever to leave, but we did. The 24 hour flight was an opportunity to reflect on what had happened and we had some emotional moments during the trip. We found our feet quickly in Australia which was terrific but then disaster struck again six months later. We received a call saying my partner's father had died. This was the last of our awful bad luck.

Now for the good stuff. We're three months away from being able to apply for citizenship. We love Canberra. We have awesome friends and jobs. The lifestyle is amazing and we wouldn't change anything. Australia really does offer a great life. It takes some work at first, but once you're settled it's truly awesome.

It really can be AWESOME, if we can do it after everything we went through then anyone can. Just be prepared to work for it in the beginning.

Ahh but Canberra is cr@p everybody knows that. Where are you really?

Guest The Pom Queen

Lots of hugs to your partner. You have both been through so much.

Great news on the impending citizenship and thank you for the update x

• 1 month later...

What a great thread. It's been really encouraging to read all your stories. I'm moving out next January on my own to Adelaide so a little daunted and am getting very nervous so it's lovely to hear your positive experiences. I'm sure I'll have a few wobbles along the way and the first couple of months will be the most difficult but I'm excited and feel privileged to be in this position. I look forward to updating you all with my experiences as they occur. Thank you all!

It was my 36th anniversary of arriving in Sydney yesterday 8th Dec 1978. I was scared too. Far more than when I went to Perth and Adelaide. Stupid of course, listened to all the horror stories from blokes in UK who had come here as seamen and probably gone no further than the closest pub to the ship! Not that the is anything remotely frightening about those pubs anyway!

I stayed at the YMCA for a week or so then moved to New and Warrane Colleges at UNSW in Kensington. I got a job finally in Jan in Neutral Bay and moved there to Royal Private Hotel above the ferry wharf. Both my bros moved out in79 and also lived there.

Just checked my diary for Dec 9th and I see I did Harbour Bridge, Opera House and Bondi Beach ask that day, went to Brooklyn Hotel in eve in George St (still there but much remodeled rebuilt and renamed.) and when I got back to YMCA bloke in reception gave me three cans of Tooheys Draught and we talked for a couple of hours. (That's Aussies for you. Unfriendly so and so's!)

Edited by calNgary

I don't post much on here but with our citizenship test coming up next week I thought I'd post on this lovely positive thread.

We started our journey in Darwin, I was sponsored with my job and hubby got a job when we arrived. Had an absolute blast in Darwin, such a lovely little city. My job involved flying in a small plane out to Kakadu which was unreal. A promotion came up in Alice Springs just under a year later and we went for it. Hubby again got a job straight away. Alice was beyond amazing and we definitely hope to go back. So many road trips out in the bush, wild camels and unforgettable days. The job conditions weren't great though which prompted a move a year later to Carnarvon in WA where I had another job lined up. This time hubby didn't get work, but he had the opportunity for an extended trip home to visit family whilst I worked. All up we had a nice 3 months exploring the gorgeous coast around Carnarvon.

I applied for a job in Broome with the same firm in the hope of hubby finding a job and thankfully he landed a great job here. We ended up spending the last 3 years in Broome (and believe me we would never have predicted that :twitcy:). Heading for a transfer to Kununurra after Christmas which will also be an amazing adventure. Just in time for monsoon season and the waterfalls pumping.

We've been incredibly fortunate and had the most magical experiences here. We absolutely love Australia and are very grateful for the opportunities that we would never have found elsewhere. Not to mention the colours that are so bright and vibrant, and make me feel happy every day. Good luck to everyone else, you only live once! x

Edited by eljay

• 3 weeks later...