What is it you miss living in Canberra?

Maggie2012

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ptp113
decent Cadburys chocolate, as all my friends well know. That's probably about it though, other than, as someone else said, all the people the other side of the road. And my advanced ballet classes!

Pommy Cadburys isn't chocolate, it's vegolate as the Euro's wanted the poms to call it. It has very little cocoa solids in it, hence why it really should be called vegolate. Awful beyond belief (and my wife agrees after a sampling).

Not there now of course but when I was, I missed Britain, the countryside, the sense of community, the shared sense of humour, UK detective shows (on time!), top names in theatre, the weather - just about everything really! I'm sure you'll be fine though.

Pubs and curries and clothes shopping.

They don't have pubs here, they have bars, it's not the same. Also, in my hometown I could potter down the road and have a choice of 4 pubs and 2 bars within 10 minutes walk, more so if I wanted to walk a bit further. Here we have a sports club within walking distance (and I don't like clubs much) and everything else involves driving and/or buses and taxis home etc. Having said that, now I have young children I'm not in the position to go to the pub that much and it is bloody expensive too, so it doesn't really matter. But oh I do miss the country pub and it's beer gardens and pub grub.......

Also, the Indian restaurants are not the same at all. At home it is mostly Bangladeshi and their adaptation of curries. It tastes completely different here and I do miss it. But again, it's a small thing and my waistline is better off without.

Clothes shopping is generally better in the UK but it can be done online so yeah, not a biggy.

Guest Ptp113
Pubs and curries and clothes shopping.

They don't have pubs here, they have bars, it's not the same. Also, in my hometown I could potter down the road and have a choice of 4 pubs and 2 bars within 10 minutes walk, more so if I wanted to walk a bit further. Here we have a sports club within walking distance (and I don't like clubs much) and everything else involves driving and/or buses and taxis home etc. Having said that, now I have young children I'm not in the position to go to the pub that much and it is bloody expensive too, so it doesn't really matter. But oh I do miss the country pub and it's beer gardens and pub grub.......

Also, the Indian restaurants are not the same at all. At home it is mostly Bangladeshi and their adaptation of curries. It tastes completely different here and I do miss it. But again, it's a small thing and my waistline is better off without.

Clothes shopping is generally better in the UK but it can be done online so yeah, not a biggy.

"They don't have pubs here" So you haven't been to Wig & Pen (pommy dishwater eg ale brewed/sold), Old Canberra Inn, The George Harcourt Inn (more pommy than any actual pommy pub), Filthy McFaddens, Zierholz Brewery, King O'Malleys, The Durham Castle Arms, will do for starters.

Why would you expect an English pub in a foreign country? There is one - it's a tourist mock Tudor affair next to Cockington Green but no idea whether the Poms gather there or not. The landlord does an amazing monologue of the story of Rindecella though!

Why would you expect an English pub in a foreign country? There is one - it's a tourist mock Tudor affair next to Cockington Green but no idea whether the Poms gather there or not. The landlord does an amazing monologue of the story of Rindecella though!

because of all the British emigrants :-) plus it could be a good business idea?

I've never been to Canberra and hubby says we 'should' with it being the capital n all - is there enough there to fill a weekend?

Of course, as long as you don't rely on English pubs LOL. You can spend a weekend in the War memorial alone! If you go in October you'll get Floriade which is a spring flower bonanza. Then of course there are all the national buildings - the High Court has some fabulous wood, Old Parliament House is really interesting as is the New PH. Questsacon is great for kids. I think the National museum is overrated but some folk like it. The Mint is open for visits and then there is the Tidbinbilla Deep Space Tracking station just out of town. There's oodles if you put your mind to it!

One would think there is an English pub or two there. If nothing else at least for a Sunday roast? Does anyone misses the rain???

lol, it's not really the same. George Harcourt isn't bad though really, but it is more food orientated than a pub. Mind you I suppose it's going that way in the UK.

It does rain in Canberra..... lol

Guest Ptp113
I've never been to Canberra and hubby says we 'should' with it being the capital n all - is there enough there to fill a weekend?

You couldn't scratch the surface in a month let alone a weekend. The War Memorial alone will take up a weekend

Should have said - couple of Irish ones too in Civic

Yeah the Irish ones are ok. It's not a big deal really, just one of those things that I miss occasionally. Not sure if its the UK or I'm nostalgic about the 80s and 90s... haha

Pommy Cadburys isn't chocolate, it's vegolate as the Euro's wanted the poms to call it. It has very little cocoa solids in it, hence why it really should be called vegolate. Awful beyond belief (and my wife agrees after a sampling).

The British invented chocolate and it really seems a bit much for others to then come along and complain that it isn't made to the correct recipe. Whether you prefer British chocolate or Swiss chocolate is a matter of personal preference, but it is wrong to tell the original product that it cannot use the original name.

it is wrong to tell the original product that it cannot use the original name.

I very much doubt that Cadbury's choc (UK) is made to an original recipe. Anyhow we digress.... I've thought of something Canberra could do with: a few more pubs/bars with a garden for the kids to run around in. George Harcourt doesn't cut it in this area.

Guest Ptp113
The British invented chocolate and it really seems a bit much for others to then come along and complain that it isn't made to the correct recipe. Whether you prefer British chocolate or Swiss chocolate is a matter of personal preference, but it is wrong to tell the original product that it cannot use the original name.

It still doesn't have much choc in pommy chocolate!

I very much doubt that Cadbury's choc (UK) is made to an original recipe. Anyhow we digress.... I've thought of something Canberra could do with: a few more pubs/bars with a garden for the kids to run around in. George Harcourt doesn't cut it in this area.

There ya go! Business opportunity!

Yeah the Irish ones are ok. It's not a big deal really, just one of those things that I miss occasionally. Not sure if its the UK or I'm nostalgic about the 80s and 90s... haha

I think you'd find that pubs have changed in the UK since the 80's and 90's. But we can do without pubs well.

Archived