Photo on CV - yay or nay?

audre

Hi all

I was wondering what the general consensus might be about putting one's photo on one's CV? Is this common in Oz?

Also - stuff like AGE, nationality etc. Is this relevant?

In the UK (at least in my field), photos on CVs are not common, as well as age, as it might act discriminatory.

I want to hear your thoughts on this!

cheers!

Unless you're an actor, model, or something else which requires you to have a certain 'look', then NAY!

Also age, nationality, marital status etc are irrelevant. Having said that, I was advised by a recruitment agent to make reference to my PR status right at the top under my name and address. As the vast majority of my experience and education is from the UK, when the reader sees that they might have had questions as to my visa status and mentally discount me immediately, whereas if you put it upfront that mental box is 'ticked' and they're more likely to read your CV carefully. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but this is what I was advised and I think it does help to overcome that inherent bias on the part of the recruiter.

Hi all

I was wondering what the general consensus might be about putting one's photo on one's CV? Is this common in Oz?

Also - stuff like AGE, nationality etc. Is this relevant?

In the UK (at least in my field), photos on CVs are not common, as well as age, as it might act discriminatory.

I want to hear your thoughts on this!

cheers!

Photo - most definitely not.

Age - optional

Nationality - not important but working rights, if you have them, are worth highlighting.

+ 1 to all of the above.

Would add that if you are putting down what visa you have, don't put the expiry date, just the name of the visa (ie Permanent Residency Visa, 457 Visa etc). In his first application (before we came out here) my husband put that he had a permanent residency visa, but then put the start date and end date of the visa. The recruiter assumed that meant he had to leave the country on the date the visa expired and rejected him because they wanted someone permanent. When my husband phoned for feedback he was told that was the reason. He explained the visa to the chap who then said that if he had know that it meant he could stay as long as he liked, he would have been shortlisted and interviewed for the position, but by that point they had already appointed someone to the role. It turned out that my husband had not even been put forward for consideration - the recruiter had rejected him out of hand.

As others have said, do state your working rights, but don't go into any depth.

Thanks for your replies all! That all does make sense, so nay to the photo!

Also, working rights tip is really useful - they will see all of my work experience and education is overseas so highlighting my right to live and work in Australia (diplomatically) should be an additional plus! :smile:

Also, working rights tip is really useful - they will see all of my work experience and education is overseas so highlighting my right to live and work in Australia (diplomatically) should be an additional plus! :smile:

My personal view on this, based on my experience in the Adelaide job market (other states may be different) is that unless the organisation/recruiters are specifically asking about your work rights, I never mention it and advise people to take it off their resumes. Like I say it depends on the job and usually when I am working with someone I can see the advert and job they are applying for to guide them. Again, it goes back to supply and demand, if for example you work in an area where there is a shortage of applicants, then they will overlook certain things on your resume compared to other jobs where they have 300-400 to choose from and then they are usually looking for reasons to exclude you.

I often see photos on Resumes of people from India as it is fairly common there. As for Australia? - I think it is a definite no unless there is a specific need for a photo to accompany it.

Work Rights on the Resume? When I advise people with regards to their Resume it would be dependent on the job advert and the criteria specified there. I don't think it would do any harm though if your Resume is topped up with overseas experience and you are clearly new to the country/not yet arrived.

Archived