Contributory aged parent visa

lazjo

HI,

my brother lives in melbourne . my parents 63 and 59 and in perfect health ahve been granted bridging visa. their tourist visa expires next year. they filed the appli while on shore. they are planning a trip before the expiry and fulfill the next requirement.

my query is: 1. By when are they legally required to leave India and settle in Aus?

2. How can they keep coming back to India?

3. What australian benefits can they expect as part of this Bridging visa?

4. this is the clincher - Is the Contributory Aged Parent visa more beneficial than a bridging visa? cos i have been told it can take upto 15 years for PR to come thru for them?

5. If the ans to above is YES then how much is this fee? who has to pay it? and what are the benefits vis a vis the bridging visa esp. in monetary terms?

lazjo

Hi Lazjo

Look in the Forums at migration issues and you will find a Parents thread. There you will find masses of information and chat about the pros and cons of the various visas available to older people wanting to join their adult offspring in Oz. If you look at the last few posts on that thread you will note that the new cost of a contributing parent visa - that's the one you apply for from offshore and corresponds roughly to an aged parent visa but without the minimum age requirement. From the end of this month it will be $48600 dollars per person (i.e. just under $100000 for a couple, plus the bond mentioned earlier)

This figure has risen about 25% during the last four years, which suggests that anyone who may end up deciding to pay for a CPV is better off doing it as soon as possible.

From what I can gather, the big flaw with waiting for 10-15 years is that your parent's excellent health may deteriorate - I have the idea that if you get to the front of the queue and can't pass the medical, you would be out. Even if you had lived in Australia for some time. I would certainly check all this out as a matter of urgency if I were you.

I'd love to be told I'm wrong about the health thing btw!

Dear Alan,

What has been told to me raises two questions?

1. A medical would be needed just before the PR visa is granted? maybe 10 to 15 years from now?

2. Can my parents work in australia waiting for this PR visa?

lazjo

Dear Alan,

1. A medical would be needed just before the PR visa is granted? maybe 10 to 15 years from now?

lazjo

Hello lazjo.

In reply:

1. Yes, as well as being requested some 18 months after the lodgment of the visa application.

2. Probably not.

Best regards.

Dear Alan,

lazjo

Yes your parents could work on any of these visas

Without a separate application for the ability to work you cannot work on a Bridging Visa if the last visa used to enter Australia was a tourist visa.

Best regards.

Alan, is that true for those who applied for an 820 from a tourist visa as well? Just curious. Thanks!

Don't think they ever deny it though do they...they expect people need ( & like) to work

It seems a bit strange if they will grant work rights to oldies past retirement age, but won't accept skilled migrants who are over 50 :confused:

It seems a bit strange if they will grant work rights to oldies past retirement age, but won't accept skilled migrants who are over 50 :confused:

Tell me about it! ( & all the others !) but the Parent route is sooo much more lucrative for them :wink:

Well not that strange, they want to take steps to ensure skilled migrants have enough years left to contribute to society, before they potentially become a drain on it. The parent visa applicants pay this massive application charge instead of that effectively, but no reason to stop them working for a few years.

Well not that strange, they want to take steps to ensure skilled migrants have enough years left to contribute to society, before they potentially become a drain on it. The parent visa applicants pay this massive application charge instead of that effectively, but no reason to stop them working for a few years.

Yes, I agree that the Contributory Aged Parent Visa applicants pay an enormous fee, but as far as I can see from the DIAC website, the cost of the normal Aged Parent Visa is little more than my OH paid for his partner visa. And, unless I am misunderstanding this thread, for that money they get 10-15 years working rights, medicare, etc. on a bridging visa before their application is even approved (or otherwise). That's quite a good deal!

I cant believe that is correct. I am almost sure you have no working rights while on a bridging visa.

I know the Bridging Visa A that they issue for spouse visa applications allows full working rights, and that change was made last year. I *think* that applies to all family stream applicants put on bridging visas, but I could be wrong.

Archived