Points for experience?

Kezzles

Hi all,

Im awaiting my vetassess skills assessment hoping a result will be through early Sept. I didn't ask for a points advice letter so I know they will only look at my degree and past 5 years experience. However, when I lodge EOI I'm going to claim 8 years relevant experience because I can prove that to DIAC if I have to. Dies that sound right?

If I get 8's in all ielts tests then I'll just need 5 years but if I get 7's then I need to claim max points for experience!

Anyone had this situ?

Thanks

kez

Hi

meant to ask what evidence will I need for past experience. I've got contracts pay slips etc for 5 years but other 3 all I can get is p60 to prove I worked there a letter to say when I started and left (govt department won't provide referenced if you left over 12 months ago) plus luckily bumped into old boss who said he would write me a reference confirming my experience and put on headed paper. Is that enough?

Thanks just worried in case I don't get ielts result needed and I have to prove 8 not 5 years!

• 2 weeks later...

Giving my post a bump and update!

So I can only claim 10 points for ielts so I need max points for work experience. I'm claiming from 2003-now in my relevant field so that's 10 years. I completed degree from 2004-2007.

Question I need clarifying is:

Can I claim all 8/10 years (regardless of when degree was completed)

Or

only claim exoerience post qualification?

This is for visa lodge not vetassess.

Anyone got the answer?? I'm praying I can so I don't need to do damn ielts again!!

Thx

• 1 month later...

if I can avoid doing ielts again then I will (for sanity and cost) so if anyone has a definitive answer to this it would really help me. I cant find anywhere where it says experience must be post qualification (apart for skills assessment) all i can see on DIAC website is it must be from the past 8-10 years experience and as long as you were operating at that same level pre qualification then you can count those years. MY past 10 years is all highly relevant despite my degree in 2007.

It is under the discretion of the DIAC officer but they very clearly explain what is considered qualified experience and from what you posted, you can only claim after 2007, unless you have a previous degree which they will recognize.

I would not put the experience before 2007, as this can affect negatively your application.

You are better off scoring higher on IELTS, than taking the risk of being rejected by DIAC.

if I can avoid doing ielts again then I will (for sanity and cost) so if anyone has a definitive answer to this it would really help me. I cant find anywhere where it says experience must be post qualification (apart for skills assessment) all i can see on DIAC website is it must be from the past 8-10 years experience and as long as you were operating at that same level pre qualification then you can count those years. MY past 10 years is all highly relevant despite my degree in 2007.

I do not believe that you will get a definitive answer in this regard on a public forum, as much more specific information and a review of documents would be required to even begin.

The question you are posing is quite a complex one which has been causing many issues of late. The Regulations and Policy are quite invloved and inconclusive.

The DIAC (now DIBP) website is a guide only and will not give specific answers or clarity to more complex issues.

from emails i had i sent too and from migration people and tra themselves they only seem to clas experience after qualification obtained. id play it safe and do the ielts again. i had to do it twice myself and it is a nightmare and costly but i wouldnt gamble all your visa money on a 50/50 uncertain chance personally. i would spend the time and money re-doing ielts and getting the 8 banding

I do not believe that you will get a definitive answer in this regard on a public forum, as much more specific information and a review of documents would be required to even begin.

The question you are posing is quite a complex one which has been causing many issues of late. The Regulations and Policy are quite invloved and inconclusive.

The DIAC (now DIBP) website is a guide only and will not give specific answers or clarity to more complex issues.

Precisely!

Getting your visa strategy right is absolutely key - and strategy can alter as you work your way through the application process.

If you want the angst and worry to be reduced - and don't want to be regularly asking questions on a forum such as this (as good as it is) - I recommend instructing an advisor that is across the issues you are asking about.

Have you obtained fee quotes from (say) 2 or 3 migration agents?

Best regards.

Getting your visa strategy right is absolutely key - and strategy can alter as you work your way through the application process.

If you want the angst and worry to be reduced - and don't want to be regularly asking questions on a forum such as this (as good as it is) - I recommend instructing an advisor that is across the issues you are asking about.

Have you obtained fee quotes from (say) 2 or 3 migration agents?

Best regards.

Thx Alan, I have had two quotes both same cost to deal with eoi to visa. (one from your company) I'm torn as I know MA will take away the stress of worries like this.

It is under the discretion of the DIAC officer but they very clearly explain what is considered qualified experience and from what you posted, you can only claim after 2007, unless you have a previous degree which they will recognize.

I would not put the experience before 2007, as this can affect negatively your application.

You are better off scoring higher on IELTS, than taking the risk of being rejected by DIAC.

Hi DianeK

you said diac very clearly state what is considered qualified experience but I can't see that on website? Can you point me to this please? I can Only see experience from PAST 10 years with no mention of when you 'qualified' my past ten years is highly relevant to the anzco HR advisor role and I can prove this through references pay slips pension statements. All info I can find regarding post qualification is only relating to the skills assessment with vetassess.

Kezzles, when you start filling in your EOI and get to the section with the experience, there is a small help icon, which you can click to read further what is considered qualified experience. I believe it is a question mark icon or something similar. I was in your situation, having the same dilemma, but going through all the information from different sources, and after I read the explanation in the EOI work experience section I am convinced that this the way to go. Also, it is consistent with my skills assessment and the requirements of the assessing body for recognizing experience as qualified. Hope that helps :)

Kezzles, when you start filling in your EOI and get to the section with the experience, there is a small help icon, which you can click to read further what is considered qualified experience. I believe it is a question mark icon or something similar. I was in your situation, having the same dilemma, but going through all the information from different sources, and after I read the explanation in the EOI work experience section I am convinced that this the way to go. Also, it is consistent with my skills assessment and the requirements of the assessing body for recognizing experience as qualified. Hope that helps :)

thanks you! i have decided to resit the ielts to be on safe side! an MA has given me some advice today to say they will only count post degree so oh hum! its booked for 12th October!! fingers crossed!

Archived