Shipping and buying new in WA

mamfa0345

HI

we are hoping to move out to aus by the end of the year and doing the usual tally up of what to take and what not to take. Does anyone have any idea of what is good to take and what should be left behind?

also, does anyone know of any good furniture places in WA? We have things like ikea, argos and supermarkets to rely on cheap household things, what's Australia's alternative?

Any insight would be appreciated :)

thanks

Ikea, super A Mart, Furniture Bazaar, Furniture Spot, Fantastic Furniture, Good Guys, Harvey Normans

We brought everything except built in appliances because it was pretty good quality, we still found that we had to buy quite a few things - outdoor furniture, new bedroom furniture for 2 of the rooms, new sofa. I'd have a look at some of the sites and work out what it would cost to buy new as opposed to the cost of shipping. If you ship, you also have the advantage of not having to impulse buy - you can find your feet and take your time looking and replacing ... additionally, for us, having some of our own furniture around us was very comforting - particularly for the children.

Wow, thank you so much. That really helps :)

its funny how ikea makes me feel comforted lol!

It's also made me think about our children, having our things around probably would help them settle in a lot more. My partner wants to take as little as possible but I on the other hand want to take as much as we can.

Are you in WA?

:)

Yes in WA (Leeming), been here six and a half years, when your container arrives it's like Christmas, the kids were so pleased to see some of their stuff. As I say - look at the cost to replace (you'll be digging into your savings), against the container fee.

My advice would be leave the big bulky stuff in the UK.

For example, shipping a bed might seem like sensible plan, but it'll take up a huge space in the container. In the meantime, you're going to need to sleep somewhere, so you'll most likely buy another one in Australia anyway.

Our strategy was to save on costs by avoiding a container and instead going for a Move Cube. The price worked out at $1500 for 7m3 as opposed to something like $7000 for a full sized container. By that rationale, you'd have to spend over $5000 on new stuff before paying for a container becomes worthwhile. We spent probably a bit more than this, but we ended up with loads of nice new stuff rather than carting things like old washing machines half way round the planet. If you have a garage sale of your old stuff in the UK you might even make a bit of cash to put towards the new things.

What I recommend you do squeeze whatever container you go for to bursting point with all the small and expensive to replace things. Even things which seem quite innocuous cost a lot here. For example, we filled every available cubic centimetre with things like shampoo and conditioner. At the time of leaving, the one my wife uses cost ten pounds for three in the UK. Same thing over here - $16 for one! So by bringing 30 or so bottles we saved somehing like $400 with no additional cost to us. Cough medicine is another good example. Two pounds in any UK supermarket - $23 in the pharmacy near us for the same thing! You should also fill up the container with good quality shoes and clothes. They are an absolute rip off here. You are looking at hundreds of dollars for something that costs maybe 50 quid in an outlet in the UK.

Anyway, just my opinion!!!

Good luck!

We decided on a price for the container and sold everything else, don't bring fridges feeezers tv. cushions pillows duvets,these are reasonably cheep and only get squased of damaged in transit. there is a good site called GUMTREE where people sell stuff all the time for whatever reason.

One thing to consider that's not been mentioned is the age of your stuff. If things are relatively new that might make shipping a better idea--but if you have things that would be replaced in the next year or two then ask yourself if it's really worth shipping.

The list of places above has the ones I'd suggest but I'll just give a +1 to Fantastic Furniture for the "furnish a room for $200" kind of deal and Super A-mart ( personal favourite) who, for me, have the right mix of price and quality. Don't forget to haggle, particularly in Super A-mart. We've bought a fair number of things from our local branch and always managed 20-25% off the marked price that you'll see on their website.

...and I have to agree about that Crown comparison. It totally ignores haggling (a part of any big purchase here) and sales.

We shipped our stuff and to be honest the kids haven't missed a thing! The stuff left here 8th July and won't get to Melbourne until 19th September. Living very minimalist lifestyle here at the moment on borrowed stuff and it is really easy!

Wishing now that we had sold the lot and started anew. Would have just filled the suitcase with Clarks shoes for the kids and that's all.

Clothes we normally just buy from Asda and the clothes in the cheap outlets in Aus seemed equivalent in price and quality when we did our rekkie last year.

Unless you have something you are really attached to I would sell it and start again.

We got a quote for shipping and they over did it by a third of a container the removal men reckoned, cheeky devils are not prepared to refund a penny of it though. Make sure they get the amount correct before you hand over your hard earned cash, despite any guarantees they offer.

Don't worry about the kids, mine couldn't remember what they are missing at all!

Archived