Reconsidering: pros and cons

SimoneAL

I'd say go for it- but don't go to Perth. As for the comment of not much sunshine in Melbourne in Winter- that is rubbish- I am sick of sun, we have had sunshine nearly every day this winter and most other winters are the same. It gets cold at night in Winter and first thing in the morning. During the day it is lovely.

I just do miss the long light evenings, there is a big difference it is undeniable..

I am absolutely convinced it is really quite dark here by 8pm, I will check it this summer.

:biggrin:

Same number of daylight hours...no matter how many hours "daylight saving"; 'tis a fact of life; so don't go deluding yourself.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

A lot of good points, thanks folks :biggrin:

At the end the day what really would make the difference is work and salary. Not that I want to get rich at all costs, but some sort of financial security is important with 2 young kids. I had a chat with wife and she is not convinced we would find a decent job there at all (or have a decent combined income). Actually she believes it has been deliberately made harder for non Australian to get good jobs, and it won't get any better. Not sure she is 100% right, but from far away I can see signs of a change of attititude in employers and recruiters, also as a reaction to the market fluctuations of course.

I will have to research more and better labour market and employability...

Cheers

... less in Queensland it is dark by 6pm there in summer..

6:45 pm in summer in brisbane...don't steal our 45 mins :) One redeeming feature is it stays warm after dark so plenty of outdoor stuff continues under lights, in swimming pools etc

A lot of good points, thanks folks :biggrin:

At the end the day what really would make the difference is work and salary. Not that I want to get rich at all costs, but some sort of financial security is important with 2 young kids. I had a chat with wife and she is not convinced we would find a decent job there at all (or have a decent combined income). Actually she believes it has been deliberately made harder for non Australian to get good jobs, and it won't get any better. Not sure she is 100% right, but from far away I can see signs of a change of attititude in employers and recruiters, also as a reaction to the market fluctuations of course.

I will have to research more and better labour market and employability...

Cheers

I think your wife is right. We got caught out by basing our figures on a joint income, of which only 50% has so far materialised. I would be really cautious about coming out here at this point in time as it is an employers market (ie there are more candidates available than jobs). The best time to relocate is always when it is an employees (ie more jobs than employees) market, but at the moment that is not the case here. What do you and your wife do?

i have changed career a few times, my latest incarnation is Project/Portfolio Analyst. This an associate level position (elsewhere could be a lower level position) and at present I cannot see any way to progress in the short term where I work, which is very very annoying and disappointing. Wife has changed career too, and she is now getting into a teaching assistant type of job, possible moving into teaching some time in the future.

Looking at seek website, unless I find a way to move horizonally or vertically to a better job it will be a struggle on one wage (here as anywhere else)...

Completely agree with the post above, it has been something that has kept me going for the past few months.

I will be emigrating on my own in about 6 months time, with no job as yet. I will also be leaving a good, stable job here in the UK. Many people have asked why I'm leaving, considering that I have a loving family, good friends and potentially, a job for life. But it all comes down to what you really want to do for you and your family. Do you truly believe that you will be better off for moving to Australia? If the answer is yes then you should at least try it. What's the worst that could happen? If you hate it then you return. If you are British citizens then no matter what your age you can always go home. But it's better to try and see - potentially it could be the best thing you ever did for you and your family.

Don't get me wrong, I've gone backwards and forward and backwards and forward with my decision to go, but what it all comes down to is what your gut instinct is telling you. The hardest part is making the decision itself, once that's done you can get on with planning the rest of your life :)

Good luck whatever you decide, sim. Being me, I would say, go for it, throw caution to the winds and give it a whirl. Your wife might be interested in a job in aged care perhaps- there is a shortage and I have come across 2 or 3 people who have changed from childcare into that. I think the pay is ( slightly) better too.

The worst that can happen is that they spend 30k coming to Oz and either can't afford to spend another 30k going back. Or can spend it, career is now shot, house is shot and your back at a new mortgage in middle age when you need to have it mortgage free before retirement - few people have a pension suffiecient to maintain a mortgage on pension. Do not think for one second there will be much inn the way of government assistance in a decade. People have to consider long term. It all comes down to research. If Oz will be better, then go for it. But if it's not, then don't.

Completely agree with the post above, it has been something that has kept me going for the past few months.

I will be emigrating on my own in about 6 months time, with no job as yet. I will also be leaving a good, stable job here in the UK. Many people have asked why I'm leaving, considering that I have a loving family, good friends and potentially, a job for life. But it all comes down to what you really want to do for you and your family. Do you truly believe that you will be better off for moving to Australia? If the answer is yes then you should at least try it. What's the worst that could happen? If you hate it then you return. If you are British citizens then no matter what your age you can always go home. But it's better to try and see - potentially it could be the best thing you ever did for you and your family.

Don't get me wrong, I've gone backwards and forward and backwards and forward with my decision to go, but what it all comes down to is what your gut instinct is telling you. The hardest part is making the decision itself, once that's done you can get on with planning the rest of your life :)

I came out at a similar age to a good job - kids were older than yours. We had a good safety net (UK savings) behind us. I know how hard it is when you haven't got much time to make up your mind (and you haven't). It was different in 2007 - economy was booming. Now in Brisbane jobs are in short supply and living is expensive. If you can come over and not burn bridges (work, home etc) that would be your best bet. I am now early 50's - have sought after skills in UK, but struggle to find work in Oz. Aus is a young persons country and age discrimination is rampant. Things may be different for you, but you may come unstuck if you don't have a back-up plan. Don't rely on Seek to investigate roles by the way - most jobs are not advertised and agencies fighting over very slim pickings IT wise. People with technical skills seem to do OK - SharePoint etc. generalist PMO, Project Management, BA - forget it

i'd say assess the risk, and put your backup plan in action and give it a go as long as you could handle say 6 months out of work financially.

6 months out of work is a long long time, not sure I could afford it anywhere at the moment without easing grass (or smoking?:cool:) and sleeping in a 5th hand caravan. I will need to do my math, possibly with a very very pessimistic scenario and a few plan B's.

Archived