Skype Interviews, do they really work?

jen85

Hi All,

Just wanting feedback from anyone who has undergone a skype interview for a UK job before returning and it was actually successful, I'm just trying to assess whether this is an actual option for me or not.

Bearing in mind I'm a Aussie however dual citizen, not sure if this has an impact on the way they will consider my application.

Hi, yes it is... I am Australia/UK dual citizen after listening to people moaning on here about lack of jobs in Australia I changed my original plan to come back without a job and started applying from the UK. I had 4 skype interviews and was offered two jobs in the end.

*** update **** sORRY i Misread your going the other way.... it should be simular tho dont see why its not possible

Guest Geordee

My OH is in IT project management and applied for about 3 jobs in the UK from perth. He only heard back from one, which was a university, did the interview etc and got the job. We worried that employers may be put off by it, but I actually think its the sector you're applying to. I used to work in higher education and its the norm to recruit specialities from overseas, so I'm sure that helped.

I got my job out here via Skype. Only thing I would add is that you have to be a bit more disciplined in waiting for the other person to finish before you start answering compared with a face to face.

I "drive a desk" for a living and normally wear a suit. I had an interview at midnight (my time) and wore my suit and tie. The interviewer who is now my boss was surprised but I would rather have been over dressed than under dressed as impressions count and bad impressions count more....

I had an interview via skype to come over to Oz. Got a job offer but decided to go for another job with whom I'd only had a telephone interview. If you do get a skype interview, make sure you position your computer well with good light and an uncluttered background.

Sounds promising, how long did everyone start applying before they intended to move? I was thinking maybe trying in Feb just before I get there in March at least if I can start the process thats something.

Archived