Anyone been to South Africa?

Red Rose

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes I've been and no I wouldn't live there... It's got Zimbabwe written all over it

I would love to go to Cape Town, but not sure if I could live there now. The murders there have been absolutely horrific.

Interesting that Dewani is to be extradited to SA for the alleged murder of his wife. If he is convicted and sent to a SA jail...it will be a fate worse than hell.

Havn't been and would never even visit never mind contemplate living there. We stayed at a fantastic place in Adelaide with a couple who emigrated to South Africa many moons prior to emigrating to Oz. From what we gathered they had a horrific time living there and was the main reason they got out, rapes, murders aplenty I believe. They wished for their daughter and grandchildren to leave also who I believe tried to make life work for them in South Africa but eventually they followed their mother and father.

This is all 2nd hand knowledge however so may not be how everyone views it but me personally I would have never considered

entering that country even before I had been told the truths about it from the horses mouth.......I believe this very lovely family are now very happy and very relaxed and safe in Adelaide.

You know who you are guys ;) x

I would love to go to Cape Town, but not sure if I could live there now. The murders there have been absolutely horrific.

Interesting that Dewani is to be extradited to SA for the alleged murder of his wife. If he is convicted and sent to a SA jail...it will be a fate worse than hell.

Don't murder your wife then..! Easy really

If he did.. Of course he did.. He just got caught and tried to stall in for a couple of years. Guilty as ..

You're probably right. It will be interesting to follow the trial together with the Pistorius trial, when that happens.

You're probably right. It will be interesting to follow the trial together with the Pistorius trial, when that happens.

He'll walk free.. Lay my life on it.. I reckon he done it but something's telling me he'll walk.. Or pushed out if somebody's got his legs

What did you think and is it a country you could hypothetically ever see yourself living in?

Yes lived there in apartheid days and revisited last year. No problem at all but do take care. I wouldn't walk late at nights these days even in Cape Town, which I did decades back without barely a thought.

As long as certain pre cautions are taken all should be fine. Cape Town is one of my favourite cities and has a location second to none. It is cheap compared to Australia. The food, a meat eaters paradise. The best white wine in my view. Some great eating places scattered around the city. Hire a car as public transport is not good and in certain instances not safe.

The West Cape is beautiful for driving and folk generally polite behind the wheel. Depending on area, some caution with drunk driving required. There are wonderful B&Bs to stay. Cheap compared to here.

South Africa has the added advantage of some great wildlife parks. Every time I return there they seem to have multiplied. I have met countless foreigners that simply love the country and return with frequency. Crime rarely impacts on tourists. You can drive the Garden Route, from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth with ease. In fact a lot of this route you could be excused for thinking you were in Europe.

Durban, is a city that has declined and care needed walking by the sea front and city in general. But areas out of the centre are generally fine. The countryside inland will remind you of Scotland.

Don't be scared it's a great adventure at an affordable price. There are countless European tourists there, Brits and Germans for the most, but all others as well. You'll have a ball. Go.

My sisters were born in South Africa (I was concieved there apparently...) and I've been to cape town a few times, really felt unsafe and uncomfortable the entire time. Its a country of outstanding beauty, but I think it would be an incredibly difficult place to live in. It isn't on my list of places that I'd like to return to on holiday.

Where ever where you in Cape Town to feel so unsafe?

The murder rate is high but tends to be confined to a large extent though far from exclusively to the townships. Walking around Cape Town is fine. Rather European in mode. A European foothold on the tip of Africa.

Yes lived there in apartheid days and revisited last year. No problem at all but do take care. I wouldn't walk late at nights these days even in Cape Town, which I did decades back without barely a thought.

As long as certain pre cautions are taken all should be fine. Cape Town is one of my favourite cities and has a location second to none. It is cheap compared to Australia. The food, a meat eaters paradise. The best white wine in my view. Some great eating places scattered around the city. Hire a car as public transport is not good and in certain instances not safe.

The West Cape is beautiful for driving and folk generally polite behind the wheel. Depending on area, some caution with drunk driving required. There are wonderful B&Bs to stay. Cheap compared to here.

South Africa has the added advantage of some great wildlife parks. Every time I return there they seem to have multiplied. I have met countless foreigners that simply love the country and return with frequency. Crime rarely impacts on tourists. You can drive the Garden Route, from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth with ease. In fact a lot of this route you could be excused for thinking you were in Europe.

Durban, is a city that has declined and care needed walking by the sea front and city in general. But areas out of the centre are generally fine. The countryside inland will remind you of Scotland.

Don't be scared it's a great adventure at an affordable price. There are countless European tourists there, Brits and Germans for the most, but all others as well. You'll have a ball. Go.

I have heard it been said that Cape Town is even more stunning than Sydney.

Yeah I've heard Durban has gone down hill. Drakensberg mountains, however, are stunning.

Would love to do a Comrades one day from Pietermaritzburg to Durban (if my body ever lets me, which is doubtful).

Well i wanted to go on holiday but this thread is doing a good job of putting me off!

Oh no!! South Africa is an impossibly stunning country with so much to offer, but as you may have gathered it is also has a lot of crime. Tourists, though, are generally fine and I am not aware of any incidents when South Africa held the recent World Cup.

Archived