4 Years In Perth and what it, like living here , the pro's and con,s

Highland Laddie

There are plenty of shithole suburbs in Perth. You just avoid them. Most migrants have a choice in where to live. Do your research! Visit at all times if day...knock on neighbours door and ask what the street is like, age of other neighbours etc..that's what I did. Paid off. Cheap suburb, lovely quiet spot.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Nice house to the eye doesn't = nice area..

You live in Perth, do you know of any really run down horrible areas? Gives those of us who are planning to go there knowledge of not to go and live there.

:biggrin: Almost 4 years down the road since migrating from the UK so thought i'd share some of my views and a have a winge or 2 on life in WA and hope other Expats may share some of my views and experiences or just call me a miserable bas...d?

Firstly after almost 4 years living here i am actually becoming a wee bit bored of the place, maybe it's the isolation factor creeping in , only so many times you can visit Fremantle , Mandurah , Hilarys etc ...?

Houses and new estates springing up everywhere with a massive lack of amenities and infrastructure , like pubs and restaurants for example .

Lots of anti social behaviour , even in upmarket suburbs , house prices through the roof unless you settle for a more undesirable area where you may end up with neighbours from hell , house parties , hooning etc.

We actually still rent for this reason , even with minimum deposit on a $400,000 - $500,000 for a decent area , repayments are still going to be pretty hefty .

Total lack of respect and sheer ignorant attitudes from alot of people here , house parties with loud music until the small hours even though they are aware a you family may be next door or few houses down the street , THEY DONT CARE .....?

Dogs off the leash ......Ive been down the beach on many occasion with my 2 young children in areas where dogs are prohibited , now dont get me wrong , i don't have a problem with this as longs there on a leash and in my view common sense would dictate to do this when there are young children etc around but guess what these people believe there dogs have more right to be there and once again they don't care.

All the suburbs are similar , chicken treat , Coles , Woolworth etc etc etc

Food and service here is bloody awful and to top it all you are paying some of the most over inflated prices in the world .

As for Hotels here , a four star would probably rate as 2 star elsewhere in the world , 70's decor with absolutely abysmal service but still the prices are outrageous .

Taxis......?

I travelled far and wide in this world and always took Taxis for granted until i moved to Perth , i live South of the river , a good night out in Perth is ruined when you get to Warnbro Station and end up stranded from lack of Taxis.

No wander there is so much Drink Driving here and most people cant drive properly here when there sober , let alone under the influence...?

Most selfish drivers i have ever encountered , you allow a pedestrian across the road here and they look at you like your from Mars...?

Social life a big big let down , as mentioned lack of pubs , logistics of getting to and from the pubs , ridiculous rules , like giving you a pint of water because you have drank your pint too fast ..., alcohol prices through the roof , everything done in houses here , some nice friendly people here but generally thats as far as it goes , very hard to break into social circles , neighbours say hello , workmates friendly at work but that's it .....?

Now ive had a bloody good winge i will say , far more job prospects here , however you have to be on Mining or Oil and Gas wages and even then your not going to live too lavishly due to Perth's massively over inflated prices .

Weather great most of the time except for this time of the year .

Yes good beaches and great for visiting Asia due to close proximity where you have to go now and then to get decent service , food , hotels etc at reasonable prices.

Having been over to the Eastern States 3 times i reckon Perth is at least 10 years behind the rest of the country which it should'nt be given it is one of the richest states in Oz .

Good job and weather is about all thats keeping me here for now , wont move back to UK but definitely looking for an opportunity in the Eastern States or elsewhere in the world .:twitcy:

Snap..! I've always wondered how Brits keep their self amused here after a while.. We're all different I know but how many parks and bbq's can you do before you get bored. For me if perth had melbournes CBD and surrounding it would be a better place to live: and yes perth is behind the eastern states by a decade or so..

Guest Guest26012
You live in Perth, do you know of any really run down horrible areas? Gives those of us who are planning to go there knowledge of not to go and live there.

That would be good advice received but I suspect that would be subjective coming from someone who generally,doesn't have a nice word to say about Perth.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Tell me where your going and ill give my opinion

South of the river, near Hammond park, success, around that area.

Living in Perth is not for everyone. I appreciate the OP's views and can understand them in some ways. Perth is a city that has evolved all on its own as it is the most isolated city in the world. Therefore it does not have the amount of pressures and influences brought about by proximity to other big, busy, loud and over populated cities. If you want all that goes with a big, busy and loud city, just don't come to Perth. This city in my view, has grown slowly into a modern city to look at, but with old fashioned views and values. The majority of people who live here do so because that is what they want. If it doesn't suit you - well just move to somewhere else, but do not stay here and bag what we have because it doesn't suit you. We are all different and have different views and want different things from life. I have lived in London and other parts of UK, as well as in most big cities in Australia, even a stint in PNG for a couple of years. All of my experiences led me to the type of life I want in the type of place I want to live it. My family and I have lived in Perth for 22 years now and will move no more as we have found what we have been looking for. So my point is, that Perth isn't for everyone. If you don't like it move on, but please don't be so judgemental because it doesn't suit you.

Tell me where your going and ill give my opinion

Hoff just remember that his opinion will be totally biased and blinkered. An educated guess tells me that he lives in the northern suburbs in the middle of "Little Britain". No wonder his is not a happy chappy!!:wink:

Edited by Rossmoyne
forgot me Smiley!!

Guest Guest26012
Hoff just remember that his opinion will be totally biased and blinkered. An educated guess tells me that he lives in the northern suburbs in the middle of "Little Britain", where I also guess he has no friends because of his attitude.

No, he doesn't live near me! But that's a whole different thread lol!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
No, he doesn't live near me! But that's a whole different thread lol!

He wouldn't say where he lived, he makes out it's a hell hole, but when asked just where it was he refused to say, cos he knew you lot living there would prove him wrong.

Hoff just remember that his opinion will be totally biased and blinkered. An educated guess tells me that he lives in the northern suburbs in the middle of "Little Britain". No wonder his is not a happy chappy!!:wink:

No, he doesn't live near me! But that's a whole different thread lol![/quote

Sorry MC - didn't mean that to be disparaging to you or where you live....

He wouldn't say where he lived, he makes out it's a hell hole, but when asked just where it was he refused to say, cos he knew you lot living there would prove him wrong.

And you are probably totally correct!!! Guess the poor chap would be unhappy wherever he lived as he has commented unfavourably about the weather in UK on some other threads today. Must be so sad to be so unhappy with life and yourself.

Guest Guest26012
No, he doesn't live near me! But that's a whole different thread lol![/quote

Sorry MC - didn't mean that to be disparaging to you or where you live....

i know you didn't! X

South of the river, near Hammond park, success, around that area.

Some nice places down that way Hoff. Some well established areas with larger blocks and some very new areas with small blocks. But they are close to the Kwinana Freeway, train line and access to the city, and not far from the coast. Some very good schools too.

I like the Northern suburbs, the ratio of poms does not bother me one bit. After all...I am one. I like hearing other pommy voices in the supermarket. The far Northern coastal suburbs can give a beautiful lifestyle to Poms for not as much as you might think. I honestly don't know what some people want in life..whats not to love about a lovely home walking distance from a gorgeous beach, all modern facilities and still within driving distance of the cbd?

That said Id prefer somewhere a bit more 'country' and probably a more traditional house. Been to Gidgegannup today, that kind of rural living really, really appeals but just too far inland.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I like the Northern suburbs, the ratio of poms does not bother me one bit. After all...I am one. I like hearing other pommy voices in the supermarket. The far Northern coastal suburbs can give a beautiful lifestyle to Poms for not as much as you might think. I honestly don't know what some people want in life..whats not to love about a lovely home walking distance from a gorgeous beach, all modern facilities and still within driving distance of the cbd?

That said Id prefer somewhere a bit more 'country' and probably a more traditional house. Been to Gidgegannup today, that kind of rural living really, really appeals but just too far inland.

Some people just aren't happy, if they said, the beaches are fantastic, the houses are great, the weathers awesome, but ..... I don't like ....... Whatever, you could understand it, but they just bag the place full stop.

Guest Guest26012
Some people just aren't happy, if they said, the beaches are fantastic, the houses are great, the weathers awesome, but ..... I don't like ....... Whatever, you could understand it, but they just bag the place full stop.

Yeah jim, but they'll stay here to earn the $s. not saying that's bad but surely if you're that unhappy in a place money wouldn't matter? Go home!

My perfect Perth dream house would be in the Swan Valley or Margaret River region, I really like Cowaramup but I also like Bridgetown and places like that too...it'd be walking distance to the local brewery...keep your pommy pubs, the breweries here are awesome and gorgeous food, beer garden, live entertainment, sun! We'd be ten mins from the coast, no more, the house would be 2 or 3 bedrooms older and traditional, wood floors, verandas, lots of wood, big established garden with fruit trees, wood burner, lots of natural light, a bit of decking..I like decking, a spa bath outside...a village high street not too far away, bakery, craft shop etc etc...like Nannup if youve ever been...oooh lovely....I can dream....

Yeah jim, but they'll stay here to earn the $s. not saying that's bad but surely if you're that unhappy in a place money wouldn't matter? Go home!

If you earn well you put up with it... When you've got your coin the " better life " begins when you leave cashed up

If you earn well you put up with it... When you've got your coin the " better life " begins when you leave cashed up

Such a shortsighted attitude to life..imo..lifes too short to put up with being unhappy. Ive never subscribed to that short term pain, long term gain theory though. Id rather live for the here and now...

Guest Guest26012

I think that's really sad tbh! Money doesn't bring happiness IMO! Life's too short to be unhappy at all?

Can't understand why anyone would want to actually live in ( as opposed to just visit) Perth. What's wrong with the Eastern States? I am also very surprised that after all these years it is still so backward. The population has grown, it is popular- so why doesn't it just catch up with the rest of the world? Lack of will? Local government? Why? I just don't get it. It is like a time warp but not in a good way.

Come now there are plenty of duff suburbs in Perth. Being suburbia it is not always easy to compare with higher density as found in UK cities.

Being as such many you won't find a soul walking on the foot paths so not always easy to gage by looks alone. Locations you could say the Eastern suburbs as an example. Lot of drug abuse, but hardly confined to that area. A lot of folk don't walk after dark and the train line to Armadale is very dodgy late (after 9pm ) Cannington, Maddington, Kewdale..where to stop? Midland can be pretty iffy. Plenty of places. Folk the folk that think Perth metro is not like this get out of your cars and venture out at nights.

There is a lot of drug abuse in Perth, a lot of angry aggressive people, a lot of house break ins, bored restless kids, this is not of course confined to Perth, but this city is very far from being immune to the issues a city faces everywhere.

Can't understand why anyone would want to actually live in ( as opposed to just visit) Perth. What's wrong with the Eastern States? I am also very surprised that after all these years it is still so backward. The population has grown, it is popular- so why doesn't it just catch up with the rest of the world? Lack of will? Local government? Why? I just don't get it. It is like a time warp but not in a good way.

A lot of the young would agree and vote with their feet and do relocate over East for a bit of a vib among other things.