what can we ship

gaz&family

Fleeces as in fleece sweaters and so on?

Depending on where you are moving to, you may need some winter clobber.

We are moving to SA and intend to take winter clothes as it can get nippy (by Aus standards) and once you acclimatise you do tend to notice it more.

We were there in Adelaide in may & it did feel cold,we took our fleeces & wore them, the locals had winter coats & ugg boots on & it was 16 degrees!

It's often colder in the house than outside I would say bring winter clothes electric blankets etc if its SA your looking at Back when we first emigrated relies said we did not need winter clothes months later I waited for the train at Hallet Cove and wished I had my sheepskin coat!

Another vote for 'bring everything' - its SO cold here right now (we're also in Adelaide) but remember being chilly last winter when we were further north as well.

As to what you're allowed to bring - other than wicker, live plants, bamboo/woven type matting, you're pretty much ok (we shipped animal furs, a wooden rocking horse with real horse hair mane and tail, old wooden blanket chest, old wooden paintings and frames and so on = heaps of dodgy stuff lol - we just made sure it all had clearance letters from the original makers, or we had the receipts from the original tanners etc (vintage furs etc), but they didn't even look at them (because we never even gave them the furs receipts). Sheepskins are fine :)

Hand knitted wooly blankets are generally ok - if its 'raw' wool straioght from your own sheep type thing then in theory it could cause issues, but tbh coming from the UK they would assume its made with commercial wool and therefore has been treated adequately and is fine. Just pop it in with your clothing, shouldn't be any stresses (just don't go find a sheep, pluck its wool off, spin it and knit it just before leaving, twigs and all...lol).

Yes we brought wool blankets with us (purely because I could not bear to leave it behind, and boy am I glad I did), fleeces, down jackets, fleecy blankets the lot. We're in Perth and all are getting regular use at the moment. I would point out that I don't actually need the down jacket, I just love how cosy I feel in it when the house is freezing!

Archived