Extra Baggage Allowance when Emigrating?

Guest sydneyshell

Guest sydneyshell

The trucks have gone, the house is sold and we are on our way on Saturday!!!!

I have heard in various places that you can sometimes get an extra allowance if you have an unstamped visa (my DH is emigrating, I am going home) - anyone heard this?

We are flying JAL and my almost 2 yr old has his own seat too, so should receive the same benefits.

Thanks to anyone who has any info

Cheers

Shell

We flew with Singapore ,we did confirm the extra baggage via phone the day before we flew but didnt have anything in writing.We stopped in singapore for about 5 hrs so didnt have to get the cases they were forwarded onto the next plane for us,we had no problems ,but really check the weight as the charges for being over are extortinate!

Cal x

Guest The Baggo's

We were way over baggage allowance to the tune of £2,500!! with Malaysian Airlines. Anyway, there is a company called Excess Baggage at Heathrow airport - they ended up charging us £350!! Although our stuff took a bit longer to come thourough and we had to collect from the airport still a lot cheaper!!

We flew with Singapore airways in Jan and had two days stopover in Singapore.We phoned them in the Uk and i was told to e-mail them and they sent back a e-mail saying that we where allowed double baggage allowance.There where no problems as we had a copy of the e-mail.

Guest Les & Woz
The trucks have gone, the house is sold and we are on our way on Saturday!!!!

I have heard in various places that you can sometimes get an extra allowance if you have an unstamped visa (my DH is emigrating, I am going home) - anyone heard this?

We are flying JAL and my almost 2 yr old has his own seat too, so should receive the same benefits.

Thanks to anyone who has any info

Cheers

Shell

Hi

My agent gave me a leaflet from Qantas who do special flights for immigrants at £399 (this was a year ago) and allowed 40 kg each person instead of the usual 20 kg. I know this won't help you as you have now booked flights. You will probably just have to pay for excess if it is allowed. Your 2 year old will have same allowance as you as you have paid for a seat for him.

Good luck and best wishes you lucky lot - still waiting for our visa!

Les xx

Guest the terry's

I spoke to Quantas today, no extra baggage allowance even tho I told them we were emigrating. If we wanted to take 40kg it would cost approx. £700 plus taxes (about £130) for each adult and kiddies 2+ were 25% off the adult price.

If anyone else knows of a direct flight with extra baggage allowance please let me know.

Ta,

Helenx

Guest billy braveheart

If your going on a permanent visa you ARE entitled to 40kgs on a 457 20 Kgs

try emirates they wer good with us we were over and they never charged us

billy

Guest Andrea Bridge

I was looking up flights last week, and a few of the companies are advertising double baggage allowance, for no extra charge.

Have fun, guys!!

Lots of luck for a fabulous future! What an adventure!

Andrea x x x

Archived