Migration and Visa Application - Assistance from Migration Company or not? Advice?

Lizzie85

Hi there everyone,

I'm a 27 year old intensive care nurse looking to move to Australia in November 2014.

I've been to Australia before on a working holiday visa and am currently researching the process of getting a Permanent sub class (189) visa.

I've spoken to some Migration Companies who offer to handle the entire application for a fee, I've been quoted up to £5000?!

Has anybody decided to either go with a company or not? Is it worth going through a company or is it easy enough to apply myself?

I'm currently trying to get my head around the whole process which seems really complicated.

Thank you in advance.

Lizzie

Hiya Lizzie

I have been in Oz for 6 weeks now and I didnt use an agent - i did register with some nursing/midwifery agencies who offer all the help you need with the forms and registration for AHPRA etc saving you a lot of money that you will need later on - the forms arent over complicated - just very long winded, I printed a few copies of the forms off and did practise ones first.

Good luck

Sam

" I have been in Oz for 6 weeks now and I didnt use an agent - i did register with some nursing/midwifery agencies who offer all the help you need with the forms and registration for AHPRA etc saving you a lot of money that you will need later on - the forms arent over complicated - just very long winded, I printed a few copies of the forms off and did practise ones first.

Good luck"

Hi Sam,

Thank you so much for your response! Do you work for an agency or do the agencies get you permanent work? Did the agency help you with the overall process? How are you finding it over there? Have you started you job?

Lizzie

Sam

If your case is straight forward - you dont need to use an agent, but can help in complicated cases.

If you are looking at the 189 PR visa, you will need to get a Skills Assessment from ANMC. If you already have registration from APHRA, you may be able to do the modified assessment, therefore will not need the Academic IELTS. If you check ANMC which assessment you will need. But you might need to do the Academic IELTS.

You should be able to pass the points test without much problem, but you may need extra points, you can use the IELTS (either general or academic for the application process).

Once you have positive skills assessment and can meet the 60 points, you can lodge EOI, and then wait for invitation.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

If your case is straight forward - you dont need to use an agent, but can help in complicated cases.

If you are looking at the 189 PR visa, you will need to get a Skills Assessment from ANMC. If you already have registration from APHRA, you may be able to do the modified assessment, therefore will not need the Academic IELTS. If you check ANMC which assessment you will need. But you might need to do the Academic IELTS.

You should be able to pass the points test without much problem, but you may need extra points, you can use the IELTS (either general or academic for the application process).

Once you have positive skills assessment and can meet the 60 points, you can lodge EOI, and then wait for invitation.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

Thank you so much, this is very, very helpful! Very much appreciated.

Lizzie

Our visa (Secondary teacher) was granted a few weeks back and we didn't use an agent. As long as you make sure you are really organised you should be fine. hardest bit seems to be getting the skills assessment under the new system. Make sure you have all of the documents you need before you start anything, send off for full copies of birth certificates, transcripts for each year of your nursing training (if needed, I did for my teaching-uni then teacher training inc hours of teaching which year groups in schools which was the hardest bit to get hold of), then get all of these certified. Set up a folder with originals and duplicate copies of everything you need and make sure you photocopy the final form before you send it off.

If you need extra points IELTS is a good idea but make sure you practice! It's harder than you think! The actual visa lodgement process is quite easy and all electronic.

If you are 100% accurate on everything in the skills assessment and expression of interest then its quite straight forward once they come back.

Good luck and shout if you need anymore help!

Our visa (Secondary teacher) was granted a few weeks back and we didn't use an agent. As long as you make sure you are really organised you should be fine. hardest bit seems to be getting the skills assessment under the new system. Make sure you have all of the documents you need before you start anything, send off for full copies of birth certificates, transcripts for each year of your nursing training (if needed, I did for my teaching-uni then teacher training inc hours of teaching which year groups in schools which was the hardest bit to get hold of), then get all of these certified. Set up a folder with originals and duplicate copies of everything you need and make sure you photocopy the final form before you send it off.

If you need extra points IELTS is a good idea but make sure you practice! It's harder than you think! The actual visa lodgement process is quite easy and all electronic.

If you are 100% accurate on everything in the skills assessment and expression of interest then its quite straight forward once they come back.

Good luck and shout if you need anymore help!

Thank you so much for your reply, really helpful information!

How long did it take to get an offer after sending your skills assessment and expression of interest? I'm not looking to move until November 2014.

Thanks,

Lizzie

You don't need certified copies of documents for the visa application itself as DIAC accept colour scans of original documents. But would need them certified for the skills assessment. Everyone's timeline is different. In you are not looking to move till next nov, the key think would be not to do your medicals and police checks until after nov this year. As you have 12 months from earliest date of medicals or police checks to make first entry to Australia to validate the visa.

As you haven't started the process yet of getting skills assessment or IELTS done yet it wouldn't be until at least oct/nov before you would be invited to apply for visa, if you got the skills assessment and IELTS started soon. Once invited you have 60 days to lodge visa application, once application is lodged, up to 8 weeks to get case officer. Best to wait for CO to request medicals and police checks who will give you 28 days to get them done.

Nov 2014 is a very realistic timeframe.

You don't need certified copies of documents for the visa application itself as DIAC accept colour scans of original documents. But would need them certified for the skills assessment. Everyone's timeline is different. In you are not looking to move till next nov, the key think would be not to do your medicals and police checks until after nov this year. As you have 12 months from earliest date of medicals or police checks to make first entry to Australia to validate the visa.

As you haven't started the process yet of getting skills assessment or IELTS done yet it wouldn't be until at least oct/nov before you would be invited to apply for visa, if you got the skills assessment and IELTS started soon. Once invited you have 60 days to lodge visa application, once application is lodged, up to 8 weeks to get case officer. Best to wait for CO to request medicals and police checks who will give you 28 days to get them done.

Nov 2014 is a very realistic timeframe.

Do you think I'll have to do the IELTS if I already have 65 points?

I am a nurse also hoping to go on the 189 with a partner. I am doing all by myself though time consuming collating everything im finding it quite easy. If its complex might be wise an agent but im actually enjoying the challenge of doing it on my lonesome and finding myself becoming more knowledgeable in the process. Its not a cheap process and i was quoted £3-£4k that was enough to tell me i can do it lol.......Its just a case of doing things in order. I done my Ielts first though this can be anytime prior to EOI for visa, then its ANMAC (skills asessment cost me $850) then its APHRA (Oz version of NMC) I have requested ANMAC to forward docs onto APHRA (all were certified by public notary which is requirement of NMC) so saves time. As soon as ANMAC recieved back which there is a wait currently of 12-14 weeks the lodge your EOI and await inviation to apply for visa............all done lol. It is time consuming getting everything together though this needed by agents also...........Good luck

Roughly:

Skills posted - Nov 13 (requested extra info about teaching course so took bit longer than standard 10 weeks)

IELTS test - mid Jan

Skills approved- 8th March

Lodged EOI - 15th March

Visa Invite - within about 36 hours!

Lodged visa within 6 week timeframe (this is why need to be dead organised re paperwork)

Visa approved - 12th June.

We're now in a pickle as it all happened ALOT quicker than expected and have to enter Aus by 12th June '14 and nowhere near ready! getting civily partnered in February so going on honeymoon at Easter then back to save up and hunt for jobs! The new EOI then invite for visa systems seems alot quicker than the old process.

Roughly:

Skills posted - Nov 13 (requested extra info about teaching course so took bit longer than standard 10 weeks)

IELTS test - mid Jan

Skills approved- 8th March

Lodged EOI - 15th March

Visa Invite - within about 36 hours!

Lodged visa within 6 week timeframe (this is why need to be dead organised re paperwork)

Visa approved - 12th June.

We're now in a pickle as it all happened ALOT quicker than expected and have to enter Aus by 12th June '14 and nowhere near ready! getting civily partnered in February so going on honeymoon at Easter then back to save up and hunt for jobs! The new EOI then invite for visa systems seems alot quicker than the old process.

This is what I'm slightly worried about, I'm still doing a post grad qualification which doesn't finish until July!

I am a nurse also hoping to go on the 189 with a partner. I am doing all by myself though time consuming collating everything im finding it quite easy. If its complex might be wise an agent but im actually enjoying the challenge of doing it on my lonesome and finding myself becoming more knowledgeable in the process. Its not a cheap process and i was quoted £3-£4k that was enough to tell me i can do it lol.......Its just a case of doing things in order. I done my Ielts first though this can be anytime prior to EOI for visa, then its ANMAC (skills asessment cost me $850) then its APHRA (Oz version of NMC) I have requested ANMAC to forward docs onto APHRA (all were certified by public notary which is requirement of NMC) so saves time. As soon as ANMAC recieved back which there is a wait currently of 12-14 weeks the lodge your EOI and await inviation to apply for visa............all done lol. It is time consuming getting everything together though this needed by agents also...........Good luck

This is very helpful, thank you so much! I'm just starting to piece everything together and the order that everything should be done in now! Good luck with your applications too!

I'm a nurse and midwife, with a diploma and degree, still needed my IELTS, got me my points I needed. I used a migration agent as we are a family of 4 and didn't have the time to do it myself, if you have the time do it yourself. You do need transcripts from nursing course which is easy to get and lots of other paperwork.

good luck, it's worth the hassle.

I'm a nurse and midwife, with a diploma and degree, still needed my IELTS, got me my points I needed. I used a migration agent as we are a family of 4 and didn't have the time to do it myself, if you have the time do it yourself. You do need transcripts from nursing course which is easy to get and lots of other paperwork.

Thank you Sam!

when it all comes through you've got 12 months to make 'first entry' to aus but the visa is valid for 5 years in total. As long as we go, even just for a short holiday before our 1 yr deadline of 6th June we've actually got until June 2018 to get ourselves organised and out there. You should be ok, but if worried there's not really any reason to rush. Get all the paperwork ready to go first, then lodge your skills. It took me ages (nearly 6 months) so get all transcripts etc together and certified.

depends how many points you have without it. I only did it as needed more points. you will need it before submit EOI but not before send off skills assessment.

As a nurse for ANMAC this is incorrect you will need it! this is extract from ANMAC for international nurses...........Full assessment applicationsIf you are an international applicant you have to provide evidence of your English language abilities as part of your migration skills assessment. Australia is an English speaking country and it is important that healthcare professionals working here are proficient in English (reading, speaking, writing and listening skills). This enables nurses and midwives to communicate competently and safely with patients and their families, colleagues and other health professionals.

All internationally-qualified nurses and midwives without Australian or New Zealand registration have to apply for full assessment to ANMAC. This requires you to complete an English proficiency test.

[h=4]What English language test does ANMAC accept?[/h]We accept successful completion of either of these English language tests:

1. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Test. Nurses and midwives must achieve a score of 7 or more in reading, listening, writing and speaking with an overall band score of 7 or more of this test.

2. Occupational English Test (OET) For Nurses. Nurses and midwives must achieve a B pass or higher in all four sections of this test.

Important! You must get minimum scores in one sitting. Tests are valid for 2 years. You only have to pass one of these tests, not both.

Step 1 is ACADEMIC IELTS prior to ANMAC as you see you need 7 in all areas, this you can also use for visa app......if you need ielts for points then 8 in all areas for max points. Different occupations have different skills assessments and criteria s.........hope it helps xx

Hi Samshep,

can I ask what the cost was for using an agent for the family. I am also looking into this and as a family of 4 we were quoted £10,000 which seems extremely costly to me. Thanks

Hi Samshep,

can I ask what the cost was for using an agent for the family. I am also looking into this and as a family of 4 we were quoted £10,000 which seems extremely costly to me. Thanks

Hi Pauline,

I was quoted £5000 with an extra cost of £200 per extra family member.. that was an agency in Manchester.

Lizzie

Well, we used to work with an agent. He was more expensive than the one stated above. However, we canceled the contract after the (successful) skill assessment and went into the SkillSelect and application lodgement by ourselves.

By changing the visa application to an online form about 2 years ago, you can't do anything wrong by filling that out, in my opinion. Nevertheless, depending on your skills and the assessment authority it could make sense to go with an agent therefore. We had to assess at ANMAC and to have access to detailed information about wordings to use was really helpful. However, this depends on your individual case, whether it's an easy one.

Archived