Walking without a lead

Grimesy

Hello fellow dog lovers . We are hoping to emigrate in the next 2 years and bring our very lovely and extremely well behaved flat coated retriever with us. Here in the uk he never has a lead on as he walks perfectly well without . I have heard in Australia we won't be able to do this? If any one can tell me if this is as strict as I hope it's not.

Thanks in advance for any replies and help.

Louise

The various state governments and local council areas regulate dog control so your location will be the determining factor.

In my local area there are areas where dogs have to be on a lead and others - certain parks, reserves, beaches etc. - which are "off lead".

Guest GeorgeD

In my local council (Logan City, QLD) fines apply if you ahve a dog off leash anywhere other than a designated off-leash area. There are a fair few off leash parks and some beaches on the Gold Coast, so you can take them off leash for exercise. Some of the parks have agility equipment set up etc.

Generally speaking no forest areas around me are off leash, and many don't allow dogs at all...this is to protect native flora & fauna apparently.

I'd agree with all that the others say. In Perth most areas are on leash areas but there are off leash areas such as dog beaches and some parks. All the coastal paths I walk mine on your dog will have to be on a lead which IMO is exactly as it should be IMO.

Typical stupid rules.....dog as are mans best friend and have been with us since man first walked the earth.....certain chavs and bogans are mre suited to a lead than well behaved dogs......if a dog is well behaved and has a sensible owner what's the problem....if the owner is stupid make him put it on a lead.....we have bluebell woods near us and dogs are allowed off lead..never ever seen a problem.

Typical stupid rules.....dog as are mans best friend and have been with us since man first walked the earth.....certain chavs and bogans are mre suited to a lead than well behaved dogs......if a dog is well behaved and has a sensible owner what's the problem....if the owner is stupid make him put it on a lead.....we have bluebell woods near us and dogs are allowed off lead..never ever seen a problem.

Dogs can be unpredictable. My dog was set upon by an off the lead choc labrador recently who according to the owner 'was never any bother' Dogs should be on leads IMO.

Dogs can be unpredictable. My dog was set upon by an off the lead choc labrador recently who according to the owner 'was never any bother' Dogs should be on leads IMO.

And in my opinion is they should not if they are a well behaved dog.....never in all my years seen a problem with dogs off the lead.

The thing is if you say its ok for the "never bitten anyone" "great with kids" dogs then you have to have the same rules for the ridiculous pitbull muscle bone chomping things that chavs and bogans insist on having as an accessory. Sick of reading in newspapers of dogs attacking kids and the thick owners saying that it had never hurt a fly before!! And yes, it is partly the owners but not always, they are animals shouldn't be alowed off "leash". If I had my way i'd cull the lot of them!!

The thing is if you say its ok for the "never bitten anyone" "great with kids" dogs then you have to have the same rules for the ridiculous pitbull muscle bone chomping things that chavs and bogans insist on having as an accessory. Sick of reading in newspapers of dogs attacking kids and the thick owners saying that it had never hurt a fly before!! And yes, it is partly the owners but not always, they are animals shouldn't be alowed off "leash". If I had my way i'd cull the lot of them!!

What...cull the chavs and bogans ? There are no bad dog...just bad owners.

I am a dog walker, and I love dogs.

The restrictions were caused by a lot of cats, dogs and many other introduced species devastating native wild life.

Lately incidents with fighting dogs such as pit bulls have caused breed specific legislation to become a hot topic.

Most councils provide some areas for off lead dog walks. Its a shame that they are little patches of green or beaches, but due to some people's lack of regard to other people (ie over energetic or aggressive dogs off lead) on lead is common right across Australia. The one god thing about it is if you judge the right times, you will be able to congregate with other owners and their social dogs and build a network of like minded people.

• 1 month later...

Oops, my extremely well behaved old black labrador bitch is often walked off lead all around my suburb and surrounding areas - been doing it for ages and nobody has ever said anything!

My dog got attacked by a border collie which was actually ON a lead at the time, just saw my dog and went for her, taking the owner by surprise - it ripped her ear in half, it cost me a fortune at the vet. My friend has a yellow labrador dog, and he gets very aggressive when he's on a lead - he weighs 30kg, and could pull you right over if he saw a rabbit in the distance! You take him off the lead and he transforms into a very friendly licky waggy tailed puppy!

• 2 weeks later...

This is 'not the truth' just my opinion ...

But from my walking experience, I have found that my dog still pulls on lead when he starts out the walk excited, but because he is very social (many walks per week) it is just social excitement, not fear or aggression. The most he would do is jump up if it seems someone wants to pat him.

If dogs are very scared or aggressive on lead, they are not really social. Whether owners say their dogs are great off lead, they need to be great on lead too to truly be called social. That kind of guarding behaviour they provide for their owners, means they think they are the alpha dog protecting the owner, and the owner has not been able to prove their alpha status.

In parks I sometimes have to walk dogs on lead but not for aggression issues. The reasons I might do it is if a dog is old it will wander and not keep up with the pack or a dog is young and excited (often a herding dog) and they will run a hundred metres and not listen to recall for a while. These dogs are not aggressive, but of course you don't want out of control dogs on your watch.

If I see dogs in the park on lead, we try and give them plenty of room and I will usually ask the owner if their dog is ok to be met by other dogs. If it is not I would like to see a muzzle on those dogs too, but I cant control other people.

I think common sense applies. In Sandgate, which is just north of Brisbane, there is an area where off leash is tolerated on the foreshore. But the promenade is on-leash. Many people walk without, but if you're caught (every now and then there's a blitz) then you get fined 200$.

Round the bay there are official dog beaches too, like in Bribie Island. In the dog beach, no one will mind if your dog runs around and plays in the surf, because every else there has a dog.

As an owner, you have to respect that not everyone likes dogs or indeed has enough interest to see that there's a difference between a Labrador and a Rottweiler; they just see a black dog. If you can't accept this then you either have to 1) bring plenty of cash to pay the fines, or 2) do what many Ozzies do and leave your dog permanently off leash in the back yard.

Archived