Job Offer

Jameister

OK, so I have been offered a job via Fujitsu Australia (Wed 26th June) and that they would provide sponsorship and cover medicals costs etc. And the expected start date is around the end of August beginning of September.

I was informed that the next step is to start the 457 visa process. I hadn't heard any update, so I emailed and was told that they are still waiting for approval fro the 457 visa at this stage.

Does anyone know what this means? I'm confused, I thought that I would be filling in application forms and submitting documents already by now.... :SLEEP:

I'm no expert, but I would imagine they are wanting you/hanging on to you, but have told you, you have the job but they have not got the 'all clear' to go ahead...so stringing you along to some degree I suppose. I want you to know I have no exp of your visa, so I may be miles off. What I do know from experience, is that Aussies promise the world but don't always tell you the whole truth. I'm sure it will be fine, but don't think they have explained their position very well to you, eg..the job is not yours until we have approval!?

Things have/are changing with regard to these visas due to public being unhappy and with an election coming up guess there will be not much movement afoot. Also as quick as they give a job with this visa is as quick as it gets taken away from some folks if there is any sort of downturn for a company.

It was only 6 days ago so that seems to be no time in the whole recruitment process so I wouldn't be panicking yet.

It does seem a bit strange that they hadn't sorted out their side of the 457 nomination first though.

What we did is say that we wouldn't hand in our notices until we had the 457 visa approved (our side too) so it might be an idea to do the same if you are currently working.

It was only 6 days ago so that seems to be no time in the whole recruitment process so I wouldn't be panicking yet.

It does seem a bit strange that they hadn't sorted out their side of the 457 nomination first though.

What we did is say that we wouldn't hand in our notices until we had the 457 visa approved (our side too) so it might be an idea to do the same if you are currently working.

Thanks for your reply. Although I haven't explained the full picture. I was applying for the position a long with other Aussies so it wasn't until I was offered the job that then the 457 was processed, so your probably right, as in, 6 days is not long. They also advised me not to hand in my notice until I received the acceptance letter (which I haven't). I'm just concerned as I thought it would be moving a long a lot quicker then this if the expected start date is beginning Sept.

OK, so I have been offered a job via Fujitsu Australia (Wed 26th June) and that they would provide sponsorship and cover medicals costs etc. And the expected start date is around the end of August beginning of September.

I was informed that the next step is to start the 457 visa process. I hadn't heard any update, so I emailed and was told that they are still waiting for approval fro the 457 visa at this stage.

Does anyone know what this means? I'm confused, I thought that I would be filling in application forms and submitting documents already by now.... :SLEEP:

They need to get approval as a sponsor / for the position first, that could be what they are doing. It really is far too soon to be getting anxious about timings yet, on the other hand I would not be handing in your notice or thinking about going on a WHV until you have your visa, especially with the new rules coming in and that you mention there we Australian applicants. The agreed start date is irrelevant at is time and I really wouldn't focus on it, the company knows you cannot start until you have a visa.

Hey Guys, thanks for all the tips, I've now got the approval and the letter of employment, panic over (for now!). But as this is not finished I have other questions...

I believe a medical exam is needed for this visa, do you know how this works? As my wife might need to travel in the next few days for a family emergency and she may come back to the UK in 2-3 weeks, but of course she doesn't want to interrupt the process. Would it be OK for her to travel and even possible to get the medical exam in another country?

Which brings me to the passport question. Do they need physical copies or just a photocopy/scan?

any advise will be appreciated :)

You dont normally need a medical for a 457 visa anymore. Only required if you are working in a school or hospital.

Passports are authorised copies.

OK, and regarding health insurance, where is the best place to obtain that?

Archived