Teenage son and university - help!

Guest Tracey Adams

Guest Tracey Adams

Can anyone let me know if my son who will be 18 yrs on arrival in Oz, will he be able to go to university. He will have completed his A levels, od does he have to re -enter schooling to qualifiy. Does anyone know if there are costs involved and how much?

Any information would be apprciatted.

Tracey

His A level results can be converted to a university entrance score - best to contact the university he wants to go to and ask them for an equivalence for the course he wants to embark upon.

I would imagine that the visa you come here on will determine whether he pays international student fees or local fees. Aussie universities are not free - the course fees depend on the course - arts courses are cheaper than medicine or law for example.

Here is a link to the fee structure for various student groups at ANU to give you a bit of a clue what you will be up for. ANU - Student Administration Services - SAS

Yes he will be able to go to Uni and like Quoll says you need to contact the Uni and ask about converting his A-levels. He shouldnt need to do any extra courses unless his A-level grades aren't good enough for what he want to do.

If you are on a PR Visa then he wont have to pay international fees and he will be able to get a Commonwealth Supported Place which will mean the fees are cheaper.

He wont however be intitled to any HECS (student loan) help until he is a citizen. So you will have to pay his fees every term.

I spent hrs on the University websites and have just about got my head round it (I think!).

My 18 yr old is still in the UK waiting to do his A-levels in June before joining us here and going to Uni next Feb.

Sam x

Each Uni should be able to tell you what grades he needs to get on which ever course he needs

My DD got a place at Melbourne, she needed AAB (I think) we applied as an international student first as we did not know how long before we got our visa, we did this through Study Options.

She was offered a place just before we got our visas and we then asked for a Commonwealth supported place (you have to have PR to be eligable) which she was lucky enough to get and now she has deferred because she does not want to be there on her own, she can start in July or next Feb.

Good luck

Guest Tracey Adams

Hi to you all !

Thank you for all the information you have given me, it certainly will help my son in his decission making process, indeed if a teenage boy can summon up enough energy to make a final decission.

Here's hoping!!!

Tracey x

Guest Les & Woz

Hi Tracey

He can go to uni there the fees are much higher than here! My son is 18 and is going to uni here in Sep and doing the 3 years then coming out to us (if we ever get the visa and get there). You can contact all the uni's via email they all replied to me. You can see all the courses, fees, etc on line.

I looked at Melbourne Uni and Brisbane Uni. Hope that helps!

Les

Archived