Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest bshootz

Hi Becky here,i work in the ITU department been there for 7yrs, have got a provisional job at the fro hospital,perth,

Husband,lee and two boys, jordan,10 and luke,7.

Unpatientally waiting to go lol.:twitcy:

Just like to say good luck to all of you waiting to go to oz,

Beckyx

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mandytuck

Hi, I'm a staff nurse on an MAU. Have a job waiting in Princess Alexandra, Brisbane on infectious diseases unit. Have got visa, just need to sell the house.....know anyone who wants one?

Guest gullicks

Hi Mags

Hazel here.... RN for over 23 years, background is A & E, Emergency theatres, switched over to become a Clinical skills Trainer in 2000 for 2 years then since then I am in role as a Resuscitation Officer. I have a teaching qualificationand I am a BLS,ILS,ALS and GIC Instructor (thankfully all recognised with the Australian Resuscitation Council!!!)

We (my hubby Marc who is a spray painter in yachting/boat building

2 great children Reece 13, Alice 10

Going on 175(my skill)

Visa lodged 20th Nov 07

Meds/Police checks frontloaded Nov 07

Awaiting CO and hopefully the golden ticket

sold house Sept 07 and renting our own house until 17th April and then homeless!

Good luck to all

Great thread

Loadsa Love

Hxx

Guest skippy 08

Hi folks!!

Ooh.. what a good idea!!!

I`m sooo bemused & confused!!!

I`m a RGN & RMN currently working in substance misuse & ideally would like to stay in this field. I`m hoping to move to melbourne but i just don`t know which is the best route.. independent.. sponsored... via an agency... aaargh!!!

Am heading to the expo at olympia in april & am hoping this may offer up some answers.. (ever the optimist!!!)

nice to chat & share ideas & info with others chasing the same dream...

skip x

Go for PR if you can - then no hassles having to apply for it once you're here. It also gives you the choice of moving around if you don't like the place you're working - whereas sponsorship will tie you in for 2 years.

Alis

Guest FamilyWeymouth
Hi Family Weymouthm

Is that Armadale in WA? - I work there too

Ali

Hi Ali,

We're going to Armidale, New South Wales. How's Western Australia? We've had friends move to Perth recently so we're looking forward to being able to meet up with them in the not too distant future.

Hi Skip,

I used to work in substance misuse a few years ago so just want to say hi! We've gone through a recruitment consultant and are going out on an ENS. Good luck!

Tracey

Guest landerson78

hi there, this is such a good idea. It's good to read about people in the same situation!! Is there going to be anyone left in the Uk ha ha. Im 26 and have been working in an orthopaedic trauma ward for six years, changed jobs for 6 months to work in emergency medical but preferred ortho. I am married with 2 kids, 4 and 6 months and we are hoping to move out in oct 08, applied for my nursing registration in queensland but can apparently take up to 3 months. Going with vital international who are desperate to get me a job! but it's just all the paperwork. When I get a job we can apply for a 457 temp sponsored visa this apparently can be completed in 2 months....It's so scary. How will i feel without all by family and friends, I suppose you only live once and you've got to try it to see if you like it.

Lou

Guest itskaren

Hi I am Karen (nurse) working for an agency in Melbourne. I am 37, husband 41, Elliott 10 and Harry 7. I mainly work in Maroohdah Hospital East of Melbourne. We came on a e457 Visa but wished that we started with a perm. general skilled visa. We cannot get child benefit, only 70% mortgage, no 'Living away from home allowance' as first thought. I have been here since Dec 07. It's ok but don't think I want to die here! Probably stay fora few years then go home back to Wiltshire! Good luck though to any nurses out there thinking of coming over.

Hi everyone,

I've been in Adelaide since Nov 2007, and prior to coming to oz worked as a health visitor for 4yrs, prior to that have background in paediatrics and ENB 405 neonates. Currently at Flinders doing a Refresher Course to bring my clinical skills up to date as I felt anxious after being in primary care for so long. No need to have worried!!!! currently on a study week and should be revising for my drug calculation test on Monday!!!! Can't belive I've got to count drips per minute!!!! Have had two days orientation on a general paediatric ward and start the first of my 27 shifts on 10th March. Getting up for an early is going to kill me!!!! Hopefully will get a job in primary care in the not too distant future, but felt that I didn't want the hassle of RN2 until we've got settled in. Think this thread is a lovely idea and would like to wish everyone well in their new ventures.

Montyx

Guest skippy 08

hi tracey!!

thanks for that.. i`m really glad i stumbled across this site.. its really nice to talk to people rather than just looking at page after page of info!!!

gonna show my ignorance now.. whats an ENS? i`m guessing something to do with sponsorship??!!

ha ha.. bet you can see why i`m not getting very far now!!!

hope this finds you well...

Guest skippy 08

hi ali!!

thanks for that.. yeah.. strangely enough was talking to someone at work earlier today & they said that.. its certainly a big tie!!!

going away with parents in a couple of weeks & when i get back its all systems go on my application... have already floated the idea of my doing it with them but need to have some proper time with them to get them to come to terms with it being real.... aaargh!!!

they`re taking me to america.. i think its to show me that there are places where its warmer & english speaking closer to home... oh dear......!!!

Guest ashmalog
Hi I am Karen (nurse) working for an agency in Melbourne. I am 37, husband 41, Elliott 10 and Harry 7. I mainly work in Maroohdah Hospital East of Melbourne. We came on a e457 Visa but wished that we started with a perm. general skilled visa. We cannot get child benefit, only 70% mortgage, no 'Living away from home allowance' as first thought. I have been here since Dec 07. It's ok but don't think I want to die here! Probably stay fora few years then go home back to Wiltshire! Good luck though to any nurses out there thinking of coming over.

well that's a statement and a half. are you really not finding urself in melbourne? did you sell up everything to go? does ur opinion have anything to do with the agency nursing ur doing? i would go mad if i had to agency nurse all the time. we hear lots of fab stories from families saying how great it is and we don't hear the other side that often.

Guest The Thomsons

Fab thread!

I am another one desperate to leave the NHS. I currently work as a community mental health nurse and am really pleased to see that there are others who are already settled in posts in Oz! I am planning to move to Brisbane with my family some time between September and January. I am trained as a general nurse as well and have been thinking I might fancy a change from mental health but not sure. I've got 19 years experience in mental health and would be a complete novice in general. Funny to think that I might even end up bumping into some of you guys when I hopefully get a job out there!

Does anyone know if because I used my mental health background for the skillls assessment, does that mean it might be more complicated to register as a general nurse?

Guest FamilyWeymouth
hi tracey!!

thanks for that.. i`m really glad i stumbled across this site.. its really nice to talk to people rather than just looking at page after page of info!!!

gonna show my ignorance now.. whats an ENS? i`m guessing something to do with sponsorship??!!

ha ha.. bet you can see why i`m not getting very far now!!!

Hi Skip! I agree, this is a really useful site. ENS is Employee Nomination Scheme which means that an employer is nominating me for a position. It gives us Permanent Residency. I have known people go over on a 456 with an agency and then apply for PR once in Australia. We want a little more security having a little one. We've used an agent that was recommended to us by our friends so I have to say, I've been guided through the process as opposed to having to trawl the immigration website and documents! Anyway, hope you've had a good day. Regards Tracey

well that's a statement and a half. are you really not finding urself in melbourne? did you sell up everything to go? does ur opinion have anything to do with the agency nursing ur doing? i would go mad if i had to agency nurse all the time. we hear lots of fab stories from families saying how great it is and we don't hear the other side that often.

HI

we came over on a 457 my wife is the nurse, we came on a457 becauase that was the only option due to our age +45 we are applying for PR immediately. On a 457 you must work for the hospital not the agency as you have to be sponsored by the hospital. Haven`t been in Perth long but my opinion I we love it and don`t intend on going back ho to the UK, things are different frustrating sometimes but the posis at weigh the negatives . TRy to get salary sacrifice that helps wi the dosh payin less tax is brill whereever you lay your hat

Malc

Guest scots-in-oz!

Glad the thread has been such a hit! I knew there was loads of us out there!

I have a bit of a question for those of you out there working, or those of you still here, but who have secured jobs. How did you get yours? I sent off my cv to Queensland Health on their 'submission of interest' link, and also to the Gold Coast hospital. I've had acknowledgment, but yet to hear anything else! I've had a look at seek.com.au and there does seem to be lots of agency work if I get stuck! Don't think we'll be out there till July/Aug at the ealiest, but would be good to know that I've got a job to go to! Any advice most welcome!

Mags:wubclub:

x

Glad the thread has been such a hit! I knew there was loads of us out there!

I have a bit of a question for those .of you out there working, or those of you still here, but who have secured jobs. How did you get yours? I sent off my cv to Queensland Health on their 'submission of interest' link, and also to the Gold Coast hospital. I've had acknowledgment, but yet to hear anything else! I've had a look at seek.com.au and there does seem to be lots of agency work if I get stuck! Don't think we'll be out there till July/Aug at the ealiest, but would be good to know that I've got a job to go to! Any advice most welcome!

x

Hi, I got my job through vital international. They sent my cv to hospitals in Perth. They were excellent. sophie@vital.jobs Sophie fixed up my interview with the hospital, and helped me with lots of other stuff. She still calls me now since arriving to make sure all is going ok. :smile:

Guest scots-in-oz!
im just starting nursing at uni purposely to emigrate so as soon as my 3 years is up im there!!!:cool::yes:

Hi there!

It's amazing how quick your 3 years will be up! You'll be there before you know it! Have you checked out some of the Graduate programmes? They do take new grads from the Uk, but I think they give priority to Oz grads, but i'm sure you'll get something!

Good luck with your course!

x

Hi this is a great thread. Im a nurse in Blackburn working on an acute nedical ward. Hoping to move to Queensland with hubby and our 17 year old daughter. We also have a 21 year old son who is going to tour round the world then follow us out. At the moment we have lodged an application with QNC then its skills assessment and visa appplication. Everything takes soooo long. Good luck everyone.

Lorraine:v_SPIN:

Guest BritishGlobeTrotter

Hi there! Count me as one of the nurses out there. Looking at Perth but all so very confusing! So I have to get my skills assessed before we apply? Was that a complicated process? Thanks in advance!

Hi Mags,

ive checked the grad programmes out and they look great but im sure i would be on a temp visa if i done that and with 2 kids of school age thats not an option, but ive been told by a migration agent that once i qualify i need to get into work asap then start the visa process by the time it comes thru i,ll have the req exp! heres hoping x

Archived