Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Id love QLD but at the moment its questionable whether the job situation will work... I'm thinking its 18-24 months away yet and if there is a will there is a way. I will only give up on QLD if I don't have even a hint of a job by Autumn 2015.

How about you?

I've seen it all before......................I think that by the time you plan on arriving here, the job situation will have improved.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ditto. I keep hearing horror stories of how theres redundancies but I also know a few girls nursing there already and theyve found jobs no problem. Im really willing to do anything and start bottom of ladder again. Particularly like the Gold Coast, initially wanted North Brisbane but think GC best for my 16 yr old son (will be 17 in Jan). Can I be cheeky and ask where you have found rentals for $400 a month? Most I have looked at are that a week though must admit its more coastal Im looking at

May I suggest that there are more opprtunities, work (for you) and UNI wise (if your son wants to go there) in Brizzy. Follow the work/education and then the leisure will fall into place. Sunny and Gold Coasts are only an hour away

May I suggest that there are more opprtunities, work (for you) and UNI wise (if your son wants to go there) in Brizzy. Follow the work/education and then the leisure will fall into place. Sunny and Gold Coasts are only an hour away

Hi thanks John Im still very open about areas. My son def wants to go to uni and from what I understand many kids tend to go to Uni within states they live rather than travelling away from home like UK? Would you have any recommendations location Brisbane wise? My intention is to spend the first 4 weeks travelling trying to get 'feel' of the place

Hi thanks John Im still very open about areas. My son def wants to go to uni and from what I understand many kids tend to go to Uni within states they live rather than travelling away from home like UK? Would you have any recommendations location Brisbane wise? My intention is to spend the first 4 weeks travelling trying to get 'feel' of the place

Again, location depends on job/education, unless you don't mind lengthy commutes. There are unis both north and south of the river as there are hospitals. For example, we chose Bracken Ridge as my wife only had a 10 minute drive to the Prince Charles Hospital and we are also on a main rail line and bus line (only 2 minutes away) Likewise, my son chose Gardens Point Campus Uni as that is on the north side, with an easy commute and being nestled on the banks of the brizzy river/botanical gardens, it's a nice place to get out (into the gardens) to study between lectures.

We intended to head for the Gold Coast when we came here 18 yrs ago, but when you stop to think about it, if you want to be there for the beaches, would you actually visit them every day, or just at weekends?..............what is better? 2 or more hrs a day commuting to work (5 times a week), from a beach area, and rarely visiting it except on days off, or 30 minutes a day commute and only doing the lengthier drives when you need to be on a surf beach?

There are perfectly pleasant beaches within 10 minutes from here, Northside, (depsite what people say), they just aren't surf beaches, which suits us as it was safer for the kids, although Bribie Island surf is only 30 minutes away.

You can pm me if you like, if you require specific info about an area/lfestyle/hospitals etc or simply post here so that others with similar questions may get answers. A couple of pics of the beaches that some say don't exist in brizzy.

fish.jpg

IMG_1534-1300.jpg

154092-1-blue-series-jetty.jpg

Pacticenurse - We are like you we are still quite open, I do like the tourism side of GC for my children who will be teenagers by then. Id love to have an annual pass for the theme parks for example and let them go with their friends. I also have a son who will be 4 and I think it will be nice to do the theme parks etc. The areas we looked at for $400 are near Griffiths Uni campus W of Southport really, my DH is looking at doing a degree with them and 'if' we can get away with having schools and his uni within walking distance we may attempt to ditch the car whilst we settle in and find our feet. These 3 beds are not luxurious but they have bedrooms, kitchens, small garden and access to a pool occasionally. My theory is when we first emigrate we will be doing more of the beach/days out etc and wont spend as much time in the place. Once we find our feet and are settled we can look for a nicer home with a nice garden as I am sure by then the beach will have lost some of the shine. We were brought up 5 miles N of blackpool with some lovely beaches and sunsets and I do have fantastic memories of the beach and walking there with my family each weekend so I do think this is something we would do in QLD.

JohnDoe- Pics are fab, what an inspiring picture to look at just before 6 hours of lectures :-). Like you say fingers crossed the job situation improves before we get there after all arent the 'baby boomers' meant to be retiring soon? lol. I had often discounted Brissie form our search area as I presumed the cost of living would be higher, do you find this? Thanks

We were brought up 5 miles N of blackpool with some lovely beaches and sunsets and I do have fantastic memories of the beach and walking there with my family each weekend so I do think this is something we would do in QLD.

JohnDoe- Pics are fab, what an inspiring picture to look at just before 6 hours of lectures :-). Like you say fingers crossed the job situation improves before we get there after all arent the 'baby boomers' meant to be retiring soon? lol. I had often discounted Brissie form our search area as I presumed the cost of living would be higher, do you find this? Thanks

Would that be Cleveleys? I'm a Bispham boy but spent a lot of my youth fishing from Rossal beach.

I would say that the Gold Coast is probably more expensive overall, but swings and roundabouts. TBH, I wouldn't want to raise my kids there in light of recent crime reports, but there's good and bad in any area I guess. Some nice new estates being built rurally such as at Pimpama, but even that had a shooting a few weeks back...........they broke into a guy's garage to steal his motorbikes and when he confronted them, he got a bullet in reply. We opted for Brizzy over the Gold Coast mainly because of nursing opportunities/speciality but even 18yrs ago, it was safer than the Gold Coast and living near grange park in Blackpool (you should know it), safety was one of our priorities.

My wife is involved with heart transplantation and they are all done in Brizzy, so Brizzy it was. We came here with rug rats, and for us, the theme parks weren't a problem being in brizzy.............they're only less than an hour away and we still visit them regularly

Would that be Cleveleys? I'm a Bispham boy but spent a lot of my youth fishing from Rossal beach.

I would say that the Gold Coast is probably more expensive overall, but swings and roundabouts. TBH, I wouldn't want to raise my kids there in light of recent crime reports, but there's good and bad in any area I guess. Some nice new estates being built rurally such as at Pimpama, but even that had a shooting a few weeks back...........they broke into a guy's garage to steal his motorbikes and when he confronted them, he got a bullet in reply. We opted for Brizzy over the Gold Coast mainly because of nursing opportunities/speciality but even 18yrs ago, it was safer than the Gold Coast and living near grange park in Blackpool (you should know it), safety was one of our priorities.

My wife is involved with heart transplantation and they are all done in Brizzy, so Brizzy it was. We came here with rug rats, and for us, the theme parks weren't a problem being in brizzy.............they're only less than an hour away and we still visit them regularly

It would indeed be Bispham! I lived just on Norbreck Rd and then a culdisac just off Devonshire Rd near the GIANT roundabout lol. Used to love a walk down the prom away form the riff raff of Blackpool scroats! My Gma lived just behind the beach near Rossal so I did a lot of scone skipping near there! When I was excercising post 3rd child I did a lot of walking Bispham - Hesketh house (fleetwood) along that prom to meet OH for lunch and back! Small world!

Thanks for the advice, I will take everything you have said into account. I think the first 6 months we are prepared to live anywhere with an aim to just finding out feet and from there on onwards and upwards (dreaming of a place like Palm Beach for example). I have never researched Brisbane much so I will certainly spend some time doing this!

Guest genorm

Can you earn £40k in the UK? That's the question you need to ask. It should be viewed as an investment in your future, not just an expense :-)

Hi what agency are you with?

Sorry, only just saw your post, I am with a couple of the main ones. Wouldn't really like to say on here as I am using them still....but speaking to most agency nurses they all say the same and they are in different ones to me. I have now joined a ward as casual staff and it is much more reliable and I am getting more shifts....

Yo guys,

Anyone know anything about setting up an australian bank account? Do we have todo this once we arrive in Oz or is there a way of doing it from here? If not... there is always paypal aha!

I opened a NAB classic banking account prior to leaving the UK, it took about a month for my application to be processed. Before entering Australia and getting my card and pin from a NAB office, I was able to transfer money into the account from my UK One. clearfx is a safe and reliable site to do this from and the transfer rate, I found was by far the best. If you are in no rush, you can keep an eye on heir current transfer rate and lock in when you are happy. I did worry until I arrived here that my money would be here, and it was......Phew.....

Sorry, only just saw your post, I am with a couple of the main ones. Wouldn't really like to say on here as I am using them still....but speaking to most agency nurses they all say the same and they are in different ones to me. I have now joined a ward as casual staff and it is much more reliable and I am getting more shifts....

Hi, would u mind inboxing me with the agencies your using? I'm with a few but the more the merrier when it comes to searching for the right job.

I would really appreciate it.

It would indeed be Bispham! I lived just on Norbreck Rd and then a culdisac just off Devonshire Rd near the GIANT roundabout lol. Used to love a walk down the prom away form the riff raff of Blackpool scroats! My Gma lived just behind the beach near Rossal so I did a lot of scone skipping near there! When I was excercising post 3rd child I did a lot of walking Bispham - Hesketh house (fleetwood) along that prom to meet OH for lunch and back! Small world!

Thanks for the advice, I will take everything you have said into account. I think the first 6 months we are prepared to live anywhere with an aim to just finding out feet and from there on onwards and upwards (dreaming of a place like Palm Beach for example). I have never researched Brisbane much so I will certainly spend some time doing this!

Small world. I worked at Norbreck Nurseries and aquatics, on Shirley Crescent, directly behind Ena Sharple's house (Corry). Used to train the Royal Marine Cadets at HMS Penelope on the roundabout.

Such close proximity, I had a friend at the cadets although if you moved 17 years ago its unlikely you knew her it was probably about 15 years ago she was there (31 this year)! That cut through near the aquatics was great used to use that all the time as a Montgomery student!

Can you earn £40k in the UK? That's the question you need to ask. It should be viewed as an investment in your future, not just an expense :-)

This is of course what I am thinking... its not only an investment for me but also an investment for the children (and no rose tinted glasses, if it all go's belly up the kids have had an adventure)! I'd pay £100,000 if it meant be getting to Oz. I am happy to livei n squalor till we find our feet, get jobs and realise the true cost of utilities etc and then we can upgrade as we like.... In the UK we did it the other way round, pushed ourselves to the limit financially and ended up with no pennies to spend on days out!

Such close proximity, I had a friend at the cadets although if you moved 17 years ago its unlikely you knew her it was probably about 15 years ago she was there (31 this year)! That cut through near the aquatics was great used to use that all the time as a Montgomery student!

Anyone you know here?

Winnerspic.jpg

Winners.jpg

Hi, was wandering if anyone could advise me on what to do regarding Learning Disability Nursing as I am currently working in Urgent Care, as a registered Learning Disability Nurse - looking to move out to Oz! advice would be much appreciated - I just don't know where to start! Cheers!

Guest lulum1986

With regards to the AHPRA applications, do you have to send a utility bill? If so can i just send the original of my barclays bank account statements? Thanks

With regards to the AHPRA applications, do you have to send a utility bill? If so can i just send the original of my barclays bank account statements? Thanks

I didn't send any bills, I sent a copy of my passport and drivers license. This was accepted .

Archived