Visa after PhD

nicolabio

Hi Everyone,

I browsed through the previous topics, but I couldn't find a similar thread. I am a PhD student and am expecting to finish my studies by the end of 2013. My visa (postgraduate research) is valid until 01/12/2014. My goal is to apply for a State Nominated Visa as a Victorian PhD graduate under occupation 234599 (Life Scientist).

1) Am I able to stay on my visa until it’s validity date, even after I graduate? If yes, can I undertake employment as well? I think the answer to this is yes, but I can't find it in writing anywhere. All answers I am able to find are about situations where your visa expires before you finish study, not the other way around.

2) If VETASSESS is evaluating my PhD, can I apply for assessment before I obtain the degree, or do I need to wait until I’ve finished it?

3) If the answer to the above is that I have to finish my PhD first and then evaluate it, what kind of bridge visa do I need to be on during VETASSESS’ evaluation time? I still would not have applied for PR, so I cannot be on a bridging visa.

4) My Bachelors degree is in the same field as my PhD and applicable for the same ANZCO code. If I evaluate it through VETASSESS (because I can do so without waiting to finish the PhD), do I still need to evaluate the PhD as well?

Thanks!

Nicola

Thanks, Tickled Pink. That was the answer to 2). Would you know if the PhD should be assessed at all, since I will be obtaining it in Au? On the VETASSESS fees section (http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/qa2_fees_payment.cfm#FullSkillsFee2), I see a separate category for "Overseas postgraduate doctorate degree", but nothing about my case.

You can stay until your visa expires. And yes you can work.

Have a look to see if you qualify for the 485 visa. That was designed to buy ex students time to get everything together for your next visa.

Thanks, blossom79. It's great I can stay until my visa expires, as that would give me plenty of time to start everything after I get my PhD. I guess I am being a little anxious:)

Hi Nicola

I was in the same boat as you last year this time. When you submit your PhD you are allowed to remain in Australia and work Full time until you hear back from your examiners. Once your PhD is approved by your universities academic senate, that is when your actual COE will be cancelled. given this condition you will have 28 days either to leave Australia or apply for another visa. I guess the best option for you are to either apply for a 485 visa after you obtain your PhD or try to find a job and apply for 457 (thats what I did). This way you will have enough time to prepare your documents for your PR.

Thanks a lot, Moji. This was a really informative answer and I am glad things worked out for you. So I guess you didn't have to assess your previous education and work experience, because you went for the 457. Now that you are preparing docs for the PR, do you have to assess anything, or the fact that you got your latest qualification and work experience in Au means no need for assessment?

Sorry, I forgot to answer some of your questions. Yes I did assess my undergrad degree but not the PhD. You dont need to assess your Aussie PhD. So what I did is that I found a job while I was waiting for my PhD examination to be completed and applied for 457. by the time I heard back from the examiners I was already on 457. in the meantime I assessed my undergrad and sat for IELTS. So, once my PhD was approved I already had the documents I needed to apply for 189 (PR)

If you get a job offering a 457 that is either a research or lecturing post (academic not professional) you could be sponsored for PR under the conditions of the 186 visa. If you go down this path you won't need a skills assessment as you will qualify for a skills assessment exemption.

Booklet 5 on the immigration website, under 186 visa category will explain the whole process, plus conditions.

Thats correct Tickled Pink. The problem with this is that most universities or research agencies (like CSIRO) require that you be employed as an academic for at least 1 year before they sponsor you. Furthermore, some universities only offer sponsorship if you have an on-going position rather than a fixed term, which I guess is really hard to find for a new PhD graduate.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me. I am also working as a postdoc and the reply I got from the uni was that I have to wait at least for a year before they consider sponsoring me. Thats why I gave up 186 all together and went for an 189.

Yes, for a new PhD grad, the positions are usually fixed term, whether it is lecturing or a post-doc research. (But it's good to know, I hadn't seen that, Pink.) I am clearer now about my steps, assessing previous quals and experience, then 457/186/189 without assessing the PhD.

Moji, one more question for you please - did your PhD work count for work experience? VETASSESS says “In order to consider employment undertaken whilst completing a PhD for Points Test purposes, the employment would need to be paid, at least 40 hours per fortnight and the tasks performed should be at the required skill level and highly relevant/closely related to the nominated occupation. PhD research tasks which are unpaid, or paid a stipend or scholarship cannot be assessed for employment under the Points Test Assessment.”. I am on an Australian Government Research Scholarship, so it seems like it won't be counted. Is that how you guys understand it too?

I guess you're right Nicola, thats what I understand from that sentence too. My undergrad was biomed eng, and I got assessment from EA. I didnt have any work experience either but I guess doing a PhD helped me to be assessed as a professional engineer.

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me. I am also working as a postdoc and the reply I got from the uni was that I have to wait at least for a year before they consider sponsoring me. Thats why I gave up 186 all together and went for an 189.

As Life Scientist NEC is not on the SOL, but CSOL. It is impossible to apply 485 or 189 now. Is there anyway else for the visa when waiting for vetassess assessment, SS and 190 after approval of PhD? Thanks.

Edited by jimomenshen

Great, guys. It sounds like it's not as complicated as it was in my head and it didn't take you too long either. Many thanks!

Some of the opinions that have been posted are wrong and some are misleading. Based on what you have posted, you very probably have visa options that have not been mentioned.

I appreciate how difficult it is for some students who have paid the course fees and ancillary costs associated with post graduate studies in Australia to keep the wolf from the door, but if you can bite the bullet you might find a consultation with a registered migration agent to be a good investment.

Some of the opinions that have been posted are wrong and some are misleading. Based on what you have posted, you very probably have visa options that have not been mentioned.

I appreciate how difficult it is for some students who have paid the course fees and ancillary costs associated with post graduate studies in Australia to keep the wolf from the door, but if you can bite the bullet you might find a consultation with a registered migration agent to be a good investment.

How about telling us what is wrong and misleading so we can stop giving out that advice???

• 1 year later...
Great, guys. It sounds like it's not as complicated as it was in my head and it didn't take you too long either. Many thanks!

I am in the same boat..I have my BSc in Biochemistry and MSc in Biomedical technology and submitted my PhD thesis from Australian university. I had got the negative skill assessment through VETASSESS as I do not have any work experience and they did not count PhD as my work experience. Is there any way I can still apply for the skill assessment and then for PR? I am bit worried about getting the work sponsorship too. Your advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

I am in the same boat..I have my BSc in Biochemistry and MSc in Biomedical technology and submitted my PhD thesis from Australian university. I had got the negative skill assessment through VETASSESS as I do not have any work experience and they did not count PhD as my work experience. Is there any way I can still apply for the skill assessment and then for PR? I am bit worried about getting the work sponsorship too. Your advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

You will need 1 year work experience to get a positive skills assessment from Vetassess to apply for SS and visa 190. Have you considered applying for 485 post-grad visa? This will give you some time to get the required work experience. Although, I am not sure if that would be enough time to apply for 190...

In my opinion, the easiest option would be to get some postdoctoral experience on 457 (most contracts are for 2 years) and after 1 year apply again for skills assessment. This will give you some extra time to apply for your visa later.

You might also consider asking a migration agent for an initial advice - there might be some visa options that you haven't considered yet.