6 month - Migration Project Plan

thekevjones

I'm going it alone, so strap yourself in, it could be a bumpy ride....:biglaugh:

Anyway I need to get my skilled independent (class BN, subclass 175) visa for an ASCO 2231-13 systems designer before my 35th birthday on 22nd Aug 2008. So basically I have little over 6 months to complete end-to-end.

The summary of my plan is as follows:

1. Applied for IELTS (29th March) application and £100 sent today (20th Feb)
  2. In parallel i'll work on my ACS RPL, which is now in progress thanks to RPLHelp - provides assistance to anyone who is preparing an Australian Computer Society (ACS) Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) application for assessment for migration, including example CBOK sections, project reports and references. - hope to have this ready to send off by mid April, which coincides with my IELTS feedback (hopefully positive!) this will include my CBOK sections, project reports, references...et
  3. In May whilst i'm waiting on the ACS RPL assessment i'll conduct my medical and police checks
  4. Hopefully i'll hear back from ACS in June so I can finally complete the main DIAC application to send in June also or maybe July, not sure?

This doesn't provide any room for cock-ups so i'm hoping for things to be relatively straight forward.

Have I missed anything obvious or do I need to consider other things?

Any comments would be appreciated??

Cheers

Kev

No need to put extra pressure on yourself with the medicals - sort the medicals and police just after you lodge your visa application - your initial entry date will be 12 months from the earliest health or character clearance. Get the RPL in asap to give yourself another bite at it in case your first attempt does not get through. I can put you on to an RPL expert who charges £500 to help you with it from start to finish - he is not a migration agent so would only help with the ACS application. He does not do it for you but he reviews all your drafts, gives you modules to give you direction and sample references to help with that. If you are a systems designer, his sample reference would be a different discipline to force you to use your own words in forming the reference etc etc etc .

Regards

Good luck with the time scale - I hope it happens but you may find that it you're in for a bit of a longer wait.

Some people still haven't had applications acknowledged and I think that they're upto August 07 at the moment. From a personal view point, It took me 7 months to get my visa in 2006. is there a special reason why you need your visa in 6 months and before your birthday.

Ali

Guest elkitos

Goodluck Kev. I'm running on similar deadlines to yourself. No RPL but still have to satisfy the ACS strict criteria on employment references. I'm targetting end Feb for sending the ACS application but my 35th birthday falls a month and half earlier than yours. And that's probably why you need to get this done by August 22nd.

I don't know if it applies to your case ... but just in case things go pear shaped and I lose 5 points I got the missus to submit her skills for assessment which should give me the 5 points I need to reach the 120 required.

Goodluck Kev. I'm running on similar deadlines to yourself. No RPL but still have to satisfy the ACS strict criteria on employment references. I'm targetting end Feb for sending the ACS application but my 35th birthday falls a month and half earlier than yours. And that's probably why you need to get this done by August 22nd.

I don't know if it applies to your case ... but just in case things go pear shaped and I lose 5 points I got the missus to submit her skills for assessment which should give me the 5 points I need to reach the 120 required.

Elkitos,

Nice to hear i'm not on my own. Maybe we can help each other with advice...etc in the future.

With regard my ACS RPL i've already sent off to 4 old companies for references, dating back to 1990. Fingers crossed on that one! I've also completed 2 of the 14 CBOK sections. Its not too bad actually it only takes 3-4 hrs each one, so maybe do 2/3 per week and have it done in a month. Same goes for the project reports.

Speak again soon

Cheers

Kev

Guest elkitos

Sure! I finally cobbled everything together. Still have a bad feeling about one reference which is not signed and only confirms that I worked there and my position. I'm suplementing it with a 3 page stat. dec. but I guess in your case the RPL in itself is practically an autobiography, so you won't be needing any supporting declarations. I'm getting everything certified Friday and then Fedex it Saturday. BTW I'm sure you had a look at some sample IELTS tests but if you haven't done it yet I suggest some practice ... had a look at some sample tests off the internet and was shell-shocked with the intensity ... comparitives ... superlatives ... so it's not going to be a walk in the park ... for me at least. Goodluck with the rest of the RPL!

Sure! I finally cobbled everything together. Still have a bad feeling about one reference which is not signed and only confirms that I worked there and my position. I'm suplementing it with a 3 page stat. dec. but I guess in your case the RPL in itself is practically an autobiography, so you won't be needing any supporting declarations. I'm getting everything certified Friday and then Fedex it Saturday. BTW I'm sure you had a look at some sample IELTS tests but if you haven't done it yet I suggest some practice ... had a look at some sample tests off the internet and was shell-shocked with the intensity ... comparitives ... superlatives ... so it's not going to be a walk in the park ... for me at least. Goodluck with the rest of the RPL!

Hello - we're in the same position as you in that we could not get one of my hubbys references for ACS and so am going to do a statutory declaration. What did you put in it? I was just going to put basically what reference would say but I note yours is 3 pages! Did you go through agent? We are doing it all ourselves . Am at Solicitors on Monday to have stat dec and docs signed and then we will be posting too.

Good luck with your assessment.

Guest elkitos

Hello Rachael,

I'm going through the whole assessment and visa process by myself. It's just a question of reading all the information available on the ACS and DIMA websites as well as this and other forums and compiling a comprehensive checklist. With regards to the stat. dec. I got the feeling from others who have been through the process that's you're better off providing as much detail as possible without waffling. Never heard of anyone failing an assessment for giving too much information. The format I used for the stat. dec. is a) Project Scope, Deliverables, Business Objectives and Expected Benefits b) Technologies and Platforms c) Design and Development Methodolgies d) My role and responsabilities within the project team e) How I achieved this - example 'I setup a series of meetings with the Business Analyst to clarify and refine certain functional requirements. I also had several meetings with the Solution Architect and the Distributed Systems Designer as the preferred solution due to firewall restrictions was to deliver the required data to a DMZ box for final transmission which required ...' f) Conclusion.

I repeated this for the five projects I was involved in. I also gave a brief description of the company's history, and other facts as an introduction. Well I'm hoping that this will do the trick.

I hope this helps.

Hello Rachael,

I'm going through the whole assessment and visa process by myself. It's just a question of reading all the information available on the ACS and DIMA websites as well as this and other forums and compiling a comprehensive checklist. With regards to the stat. dec. I got the feeling from others who have been through the process that's you're better off providing as much detail as possible without waffling. Never heard of anyone failing an assessment for giving too much information. The format I used for the stat. dec. is a) Project Scope, Deliverables, Business Objectives and Expected Benefits b) Technologies and Platforms c) Design and Development Methodolgies d) My role and responsabilities within the project team e) How I achieved this - example 'I setup a series of meetings with the Business Analyst to clarify and refine certain functional requirements. I also had several meetings with the Solution Architect and the Distributed Systems Designer as the preferred solution due to firewall restrictions was to deliver the required data to a DMZ box for final transmission which required ...' f) Conclusion.

I repeated this for the five projects I was involved in. I also gave a brief description of the company's history, and other facts as an introduction. Well I'm hoping that this will do the trick.

I hope this helps.

WOW u lost me at project scope...! Luckily it is my OH and not me havinbg to do ACS assessment otherwise we would be in deep trouble!

That is a great help. Thank you. Well - ours should be posted Monday or Tuesday next week. Just need to tie up las t few bits beforehand. Let us know how you go on...good luck .

Guest Pinhead

The time taken to get a skilled visa also depends on the time of the year you apply & the number of visas already issued.

Oz only issue a fixed number of skilled visas each year so even if you qualify they won't issue it if they've already reach the limit for your class for the year. The good news is that the age points are taken at the time you apply rather than when it's issued.

Guest mattutd

Good luck Kev. Just starting the same process (without need for RPL) myself with Aug 03 the deadline. What is the situation re meds and police checks? I understood these have to be done prior to submitting the application, but in other reading it says to wait until advised to get the meds? Are you aware of the correct situation?

Guest Pinhead
So what would they do issue you one the following year or just say, no sorry, were full, better luck next time?

They carry them forward & issue them first next year. I think the year begins 1st July in line with the tax year. They may stop processing applications once they reach the quote but they keep your place in the line so don't worry.

I applied in April 03 & received my notificationin Feb 04 but it will depend how many applicants & visas to be issued.

Oz immigration are good in the respect that they don't apply the changed rules to you once you've applied.

Guest elkitos
ACS paperwork went out yesterday by DHL ... 3 day behind schedule ... my schedule... not too bad!

DHL package arrived and signed for by ACS AT 9:50am in Sydney ...

Archived