Government Centerlink benefits for new migrants

jbb

Hi,

I have got a PR and have moved to Sydney on a permanent basis. My family will be joining me by August or so. We are a family of 4. 2 kids of 4.5 years and 3 years old. I know that as new migrants we are not allowed benefits for the first 2 years. But I know I had read somewhere that we might be eligible for some benefits for which we do not have to wait for 2 years.

Can anyone of the senior members please help me with the information? Since I have 2 kids and my wife will not be working, what benefits can I get considering that I am the only earning member?

Thanks.

Cheers,

​jbb

Even if I'm not a senior member, I can try to answer your question :)

Those benefits have an immediate start: Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Benefit, Maternity, Immunisation Allowance, Baby Bonus, Parental Leave Pay e Double Orphan Pension.

I found the information on this doc: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/information-in-your-language/resources/9334/9334-1207it.pdf that's in Italian but, sorry, I can't find the English version even searching the whole site...:unsure:

BTW, take a look here: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/newly-arrived-residents-waiting-period

Is it a very British thing to ask what benefits you are entitled to every time you immigrate to a new country? I know a lot of Brits are brought up on a welfare dependency culture, but hows about trying to get by without rinsing the state for everything you can?

Is it a very British thing to ask what benefits you are entitled to every time you immigrate to a new country? I know a lot of Brits are brought up on a welfare dependency culture, but hows about trying to get by without rinsing the state for everything you can?

It is nothing to do with being British! More like if your used to getting them you expect them. We didn't even think about benefits before we came over and didn't apply for any as we were under the impression you didn't get them, it was only when I had a baby and the midwife gave me a form to claim the baby bonus that the Family Assistance Office actually told me what I could get.

Is it a very British thing to ask what benefits you are entitled to...

No, I don't think so as I've put my feet on British soil just a couple of times in my life and I've asked the same.

Maybe it's an European attitude: we're (or, better, we were?) used to a strong welfare system where you pay and then you claim...

No, I don't think so as I've put my feet on British soil just a couple of times in my life and I've asked the same.

Maybe it's an European attitude: we're (or, better, we were?) used to a strong welfare system where you pay and then you claim...

So are Australians. The objection is to peoples' interest in the claim rather than the pay!

The objection is to peoples' interest in the claim rather than the pay!

Well, maybe it's because bills always reach you, even if you don't know you had to pay, whereas if you aren't aware of the benefits and don't claim...

Archived