Any advice for best banks pleeeeeease?

Jimmy G

Hi everyone!!!!

Me and my partner have just moved to Brisbane and would like any advice on which is the best bank to go with???

NAB, Westpac and Commonwealth seem like the obvious choices, but after googling they all have some terrible reviews.

Also, do you get charged from using an ATM that doesn't belong to your bank???

Many thanks in advance

Jim

Ps, this weather alone is so worth the move!!!! :-)

Jim,

I have used all three of the above without any complaint.

Yes, you often get charged if you use another banks ATM, or a third party ATM at an RSL when you are desperate for more money for the pokies, or at Randwick to give more cash to Waterhouse, but I digress....

Often if you pay your salary into a current account or similar your banking is free.

If you are coming to Sydney, we are having our first rain for over a month. :yes:

Cheers,

Fleabo

Guest GeorgeD

I use NAB. Free banking from them You do pay fees if you use other people's machines, but that's the machine owner charging, not NAB.

To be fair, each of the big 4 banks is as good or bad as any of the big guys in the UK. You will always get people bad mouthing them online as they all have so many customers that there wil no doubt be a small percentage who are upset by something...and that can be a fair number of people. If you are just looking for a current account to start you of with then you won't go far wrong with any of the big guys...and like I said, NAB do a fee free account. Obviously if you are looking for a mortgage, loan or credit card, then do a bit more research further down the line

Hi everyone!!!!

Me and my partner have just moved to Brisbane and would like any advice on which is the best bank to go with???

NAB, Westpac and Commonwealth seem like the obvious choices, but after googling they all have some terrible reviews.

Also, do you get charged from using an ATM that doesn't belong to your bank???

Many thanks in advance

Jim

Ps, this weather alone is so worth the move!!!! :-)

Hi there,

Also consider ANZ. We have just opened our account with them. Still in the Uk so we can't say whether they are any good or not! They do charge $5/mth although they waiver this for the first 12 month (if account opened in the UK i believe). ANZ ATMS are free withdrawal but other ATMS do charge....

We closed our account with ANZ because they insisted on charging us account keeping fees. We are now with commonwealth who don't charge any fees providing we pay in at least $2000 a month or something. We went with commonwealth because we have a mortgage on some land with them and we have the mortgage with them because our mortgage brokers recommended them because they would lend to us even though we had only been in the country a couple of months. Commonwealth also have A LOT of ATMs in Adelaide CBD, where I work, and one in our local shopping centre. I'd consider going with whoever has the most convenient branches and ATMs for where you are living and working.

Guest The Pom Queen

Another +1 for NAB no monthly account fees like the other banks, easy to open the account from overseas, a dedicated migrant team in both countries and the red carpet treatment when you arrive.

I've got an account with ANZ but will be closing once I get back to Aus and opening a Bank of Queensland account.

No monthly fees and free transactions at Redibank ATMs.

Can start the process of opening an account online and then just go into a branch upon arrival and show your passport and away you go

Guest GeorgeD

NAB uses RediBank machines too. So you can use BoQ and NAB cards in each others machines at no charge. Plus all the other Redi machines clearly!

I've got an account with ANZ but will be closing once I get back to Aus and opening a Bank of Queensland account.

No monthly fees and free transactions at Redibank ATMs.

Can start the process of opening an account online and then just go into a branch upon arrival and show your passport and away you go

​Great Advice, thanks! Will look into it! x

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. That has helped a lot and put our minds at rest. Now time for me to stop doing all this grown up stuff and start enjoying the weekend. Have a good weekend all!!!!!

from Jim :biggrin:

NAB is fine ( I set up my current account with them prior to leaving the UK and it was fine, but a fair bit of hassle to get it fully operational once I'd arrived and paid money into it) Now I use ING direct for current account (free withdrawals from any ATM if you take out $200, and 5% cashback for debit transactions for the first 6 months) and UBank (a subsidiary of NAB) for savings - and probably a mortgage when we get to that point- , very happy with both. I don't know if you can open these accounts from overseas though, so it might be best to open any old account and suss out the options once you get here.

Good luck with you move.

Guest The Pom Queen
that certainly wasn't my experience!! It was ok, but nothing special, just utterly ordinary.

After dealing with the other big banks in getting my clients up and running once they arrive I can assure you NAB beats them hands down.

Archived